Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 19:59   #301
BHPian
 
cataclysm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 84
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Also, a friend sent me this. What kind of a number is this?
These are old numbers from Punjab, I think 70s or 80s.
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 11:18   #302
BHPian
 
Waggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/CHN
Posts: 47
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
These are old numbers from Punjab, I think 70s or 80s.
I don't think the Porsche was manufactured in 70s/80s!

OT: But is it really possible to have the old series registration numbers reassigned?
Waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 11:30   #303
BHPian
 
cataclysm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 84
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
OT: But is it really possible to have the old series registration numbers reassigned?
Dude! You can get an old series number in Punjab! Lot's of people do this here. They consider it a sign of affluence! Loads of people buy old vehicles just for the registration number so that they can transfer it to their new vehicle.
cataclysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 11:45   #304
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,080
Thanked: 3,326 Times
Default Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
I don't think the Porsche was manufactured in 70s/80s!

OT: But is it really possible to have the old series registration numbers reassigned?
Yes, it was. Not here, though, and still isnt.

Yeah, its possible to get numbers reassigned. We did for our 800 to zen, and also theres a fairly often spotted SUV sporting a PUP 1 in delhi and NCR.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 14:26   #305
BHPian
 
Waggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/CHN
Posts: 47
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Dude! You can get an old series number in Punjab!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
...theres a fairly often spotted SUV sporting a PUP 1 in delhi and NCR.
The story of PUB and PUP makes me go I hope the drivers of those vehicles are sensible and don't behave inline with their registration plates
Waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 22:11   #306
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Found at BIAL parking. A major fan of an ex-AP chief minister? (Sorry for the pic quality - phone camera, night time, taken from a distance)
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-20130218_061413.jpg  

binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 22:43   #307
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Swanmore
Posts: 850
Thanked: 983 Times
Default Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Saw an interesting number combo in an Innova today. Sorry couldn't click a pic but the number plate read, TN 47 AK 47.
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:52   #308
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,234
Thanked: 2,543 Times
Default Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Thought something is amiss in this reg #

- its a white board number on a yellow board
-its a new reg series for a old car (re-registered I am guessing)
But, it should get a latest yellow board series of registration.
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-img544.jpg  

tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 16:52   #309
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,245
Thanked: 1,410 Times
Default Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Thought something is amiss in this reg #

- its a white board number on a yellow board
-its a new reg series for a old car (re-registered I am guessing)
But, it should get a latest yellow board series of registration.
I've seen plenty of these on the road, and one with a cab driver-cum-owner we use regularly. The reason is very simple.

A cabbie buys a Indica, say, from a private owner (hence car is on white plates). While transfer of ownership, gets it changed from non-transport to transport. That is when the registration number stays the same but it now requires a yellow board. The RTO does not change the registration number.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 17:06   #310
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,234
Thanked: 2,543 Times
Default Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I've seen plenty of these on the road, and one with a cab driver-cum-owner we use regularly. The reason is very simple.

A cabbie buys a Indica, say, from a private owner (hence car is on white plates). While transfer of ownership, gets it changed from non-transport to transport. That is when the registration number stays the same but it now requires a yellow board. The RTO does not change the registration number.
Thanks for that piece of information.
Adding to that, I am assuming that the private owner has re-registered(outstation) the car before selling it off to a yellow board, hence the 'MQ' reg series on an old Indica.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 19:25   #311
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Thanks for that piece of information.
Adding to that, I am assuming that the private owner has re-registered(outstation) the car before selling it off to a yellow board, hence the 'MQ' reg series on an old Indica.
Or it it could also be that the old owner took a fancy no (out of series) by paying a premium. 8181 certainly qualifies to be a fancy no

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
A cabbie buys a Indica, say, from a private owner (hence car is on white plates). While transfer of ownership, gets it changed from non-transport to transport. That is when the registration number stays the same but it now requires a yellow board. The RTO does not change the registration number.
This happens the other way round too. I have seen plenty of Indigos, Indicas with transport registration (B, C etc series) and in white boards

Last edited by addyhemmige : 22nd March 2013 at 19:27.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 20:28   #312
BHPian
 
noidea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 143
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Are we allowed to have number plates in the shape of a razor blade??
Take a look at this number plate!-photo0061.jpg
Are we allowed to write the alphabets and numbers that way??
Take a look at this number plate!-photo0051.jpg
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 09:31   #313
BHPian
 
nick17s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 529
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Saw a Fortuner with CHO 0007 Registration plate? Was anything missing ?

And saw this one this morning..
Attached Thumbnails
Take a look at this number plate!-img20130403wa0011.jpg  

nick17s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:33   #314
BHPian
 
cataclysm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 84
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
Saw a Fortuner with CHO 0007 Registration plate? Was anything missing ?
Old numbers from Chandigarh! Nothing missing. Though Chandigarh administration has now banned the transfer of old numbers to new cars but this is still prevalent in Punjab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
And saw this one this morning..
And this is an old registration number from Punjab.
cataclysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:25   #315
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: India
Posts: 590
Thanked: 648 Times
Smile Re: Take a look at this number plate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Saw an interesting number combo in an Innova today. Sorry couldn't click a pic but the number plate read, TN 47 AK 47.
Since you are interested in such combinations, here is a news article for you:

http://www.motorbeam.com/news/farmer...-number-plate/

A farmer in Punjab paid Rs. 7 Lakhs for 'special' number (AK 47) for his two wheeler.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
Saw a Fortuner with CHO 0007 Registration plate? Was anything missing ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Old numbers from Chandigarh! Nothing missing.
The original number should be "CHO 7" but the owner must be inspired by Mr. Bond so he must have modified it to "007". Zeros were never prefixed earlier.


Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registration Number fraud! Someone else using my number plate Palio_2005 The Indian Car Scene 39 16th October 2016 12:31
Number plate "mosiac" in Images kvish Shifting gears 19 19th November 2008 21:30
What's with "MG" number plate cars in Karnataka.? xtr21 The Indian Car Scene 13 21st April 2008 16:04
Placement/fittment of number plate of Wagon-R Cool Zen The Indian Car Scene 2 26th July 2007 21:12
OT: Number plate question kebuchan Modifications & Accessories 10 7th May 2007 01:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks