Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 13th August 2007, 13:54   #1
BHPian

Angry Arrogant Gatekeepers: Experiences in Hyderabad

Friends,

This incident happened to one of my good friend recently. He, along with us, in his accent, had gone to meet his friend at Hi-tec city. Just to add a background, His friend's apartment is situated in a good locality and is a gated one. His friend lives there as a tenant. So, as my friend got to park his car in front of the apartment boundary wall, one watchman came all of a sudden and started barking at my friend as
(note that both were of same age)
Guard: "oye gaadi hataa..." (what a start of a conversation)
My Friend: "kyun bhiyya kya baat hai, yahaan likha hai visitor parking inside apartment not allowed to maine yahaan pe park kiya hai baahar".

Guard: "yahaan baahar bhi nahi kar sakte, ye boundary wall ke samne hai, aane jaane ko taklif hota.gaadi hataa.."
My Friend: "arre bhaai ye dead end hai, yahaan se koi aa hi nahi sakta to taklif kaisa hoga? aur tumhare apartment ka gate yahaan se 20 meter par hai, to andar jaane wali gaadi ko kyun taklif hogi? ye to one way hi hai jo bhi aayega udhar se aayega aur apartment jayega to meri gaadi to idhar lagai hai na.."

Guard: "Dekho ye aapka sab yahaan par nahi chalega, aap log ka north mein chalaao"
(listening to this, my north indian friend got damn disappointed and furious)
My Friend: "kya matlab tera **** yahaan par nahi chalta? kiska kahaan par chal jaye tu batayega kya? khopdi kiski pahle futegi wo samjhayega kiska kahaan kab chalta hai to..chal jaane de hatt yahaan se"

Guard: "dekh apni waali apne area mein sunaana nahi to.. " (Guard showing laathi to us)
My Friend got damn upset with this, went straight to his car, opened the dickey got out the steel + wooden baseball bat in his hands and stood up straight to the guard

My Friend: "Ab bol kya bol raha tha tu".. Guard was taken aback with this sudden retaliation and seeing all 4 of us furious and fuming in anger with definitely not so good intentions, just said " Society president ko bulata hoon ruko"..we said.." thik hai bulaao"....he called to somebody on phone and spoke something... and told us,"ruko aa rahe hain 2 minute mein"...and Nobody came for the next 10 minutes, guard was nowhere nearby, we just parked our vehicle there only and spent quite an hour or so, but nobody came up neither the guard not the society president or whatever they call.

Since then, it has been a practice for us to park the vehicle then and there only, glare viciously at the watchman and go upstairs..

1) Why in India, people do not recognize each other as Indians? Why people in North India assume that South Indians are 'Annas' and people in South India assume that all North Indians are "bhai" or "dada" or "gundagardi waala" ?? It is damn saddening really that people in India itself have biased views against their fellow Indians.

2) Who gives these stupid and really arrogant society presidents and gatekeepers to deprive us of the parking outside the boundary wall of an apartment? do they buy the road in front of apartment also?

3) What is the possible law enforcement to punish them? and where to complain in such scenarios? I have seen many times, such guards puncture tyres ?

4) I am very much against any such violent retaliation, but which steps should one take if such scene occurs, which is nowadays becoming most common with more and more gated apartments in place ?

5) Can't anything be done to teach such watchmen, guards, autowallas, sellers some etiquettes, atleast talking sense and humility? Anyway it doesnt require a person to be educated to have a common sense and politeness.

Sarang
sforsarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 13:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

For greater audience viewing pleasure, maybe you could translate this into English as well?
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 14:08   #3
BHPian

Translating some Hindi portion of the post in English for wider audience convenience.

(note that both were of same age)
Guard: Remove your vehicle right now from here. (what a start of a conversation)
My Friend: Why so? Visitors parking is not allowed inside the apartment so we are parking here outside. fair enough.

Guard: No, you can not park here, this is in front of the boundary wall. This will be inconvenient for other passer-by
My Friend: Hey boss, this is dead end and just seems to be a one way. Nobody can come from this side and whosoever comes from the front will only go to the apartments parking. Apartment's entry is 20-25 meters from my car, so how can it affect incoming vehicles or other passer-by?

Guard: Cut the crap. If I say you can't park your vehicle here then thats it. Do whatever you wish in your hometown. you North Indians won't be entertained here. This is our area.
(listening to this, my north indian friend got damn disappointed and furious)
My Friend: What do you mean by that Ehh ? It is perfectly fine to park my car here and I can't find any violation of rule. and do not attempt to threaten. Nobody can predict whose head will be broken first.

Guard: Now warning you for the last time else.. (Guard showing stick to us)
My Friend got damn upset with this, went straight to his car, opened the dickey got out the steel + wooden baseball bat in his hands and stood up straight to the guard

My Friend: "Now tell me what were you saying??" Guard was taken aback with this sudden retaliation and seeing all 4 of us furious and fuming in anger with definitely not so good intentions, just said " Wait am calling the Society president "..we said.."fine call him"....he called to somebody on phone and spoke something... and told us,"wait he is coming in 2 minutes, will level scored with you guys"...and Nobody came for the next 10 minutes, guard was nowhere nearby, we just parked our vehicle there only and spent quite an hour or so, but nobody came up neither the guard not the society president or whatever they call.
Old 13th August 2007, 14:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforsarang View Post
1) Why in India, people do not recognize each other as Indians? Why people in North India assume that South Indians are 'Annas' and people in South India assume that all North Indians are "bhai" or "dada" or "gundagardi waala" ?? It is damn saddening really that people in India itself have biased views against their fellow Indians.
Sarang
Okay, I don't wish to comment on the north-south thing. But, this situation could have been handled much better.

You can always stoop to someone else's standard and make things worse. Better way is to maintain your standars and make other respect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforsarang View Post
Why in India, people do not recognize each other as Indians?
Please read you post, you have answered it yourself
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 14:35   #5
BHPian

Very true WhiteKnight. Even I hate shouting at others and making matters worse by just cribbing about things here and there, afterall we don't visit our friends with the intention of spending / wasting time debating and arguing with the watchmen. But I have learnt that for a peace, and for a war, it takes two way efforts. Maintaining standards and being dumb definitely makes sense PROVIDED it is a two way effort. we are no saints that ours being defensive will be treated as our weakness and would obviously hate seeing our tyres punctured or a dent in the door. Afterall, Only one sound can be produced by using single hand, and that is definitely not the 'clapping'... that can only be a 'slapping'.
Old 13th August 2007, 14:37   #6
BHPian

Sarang, the rule is - Never argue with an idiot (in this case the security chap), he will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience.

In such cases of illogical explanations, just park the car and walk away.
alabjarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 14:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Greatest victory is won without raising the sword! although things are quite irritating, these type of people should be understood as they are. They just won't understand any sort of logic or intellect. They are told to do something and they do it mechanically. As some one told, no - one can insult you without your permission. You may feel bit insulted because you have accepted someone's insult! i know its quite difficult. It was difficult even for me. But rise above others!! Don't let your smile and cool leave you for whatever reason. The moment you do that, you are lost..well thats my view...
Note:- all instructions above are my personal opinions and not meant to hurt anyone (well i can't hurt anyone, without anyone's permission) :-)
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 14:47   #8
Team-BHP Support

Most of these guy are rather low on their IQ.
use that.

ask extremly confused questions.
who is the secretary/ president?
oh that guy.
change topic again.
ask him the date today.
change topic.

go on and on about nonsense.
keep refering to him in the third person.
ask him who he is again.

5 mins later
the guy is way out of his head and since you are making him think.
his brain suffers a short circuit and he is getting worried as some lights start going on.
mostly he will walk away mumbling/ grumbling...

works for me...
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 14:58   #9
BHPian

Oh Man, on one such incident, under the influence of recently watched 'Munnabhai', I had given some other 'such' fellow the other day a jaadoo ki jhappi and even applied some gandhi giri but all efforts were in vain. That was in Pune.
But bblost I really liked the way you showed to get rid of them. well, worth a try hereafter. will save my friend a headache and his car a dent or a flattened tyre. I guess this will definitely gonna work as these guys just do their job robotically. Making them think definitely's going to work than scaring hell out of them.
On a lighter note, Can I use this technique with traffic cops, my ultimate nemesis ? :-)
Old 13th August 2007, 15:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Most irritating fellows these watchmen are. Here's what i did.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...xperience.html (Woeful Parking Experience)
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 16:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
...these type of people should be understood as they are. They just won't understand any sort of logic or intellect. They are told to do something and they do it mechanically.
Exactly. My friend's dad is a doctor. Once, some patient came to visit him and the security fellow won't let the car in saying, "Visitors vehicle not permitted."
His dad had to blast the security fellow to let them in...

You can't blame the security for these issues. The actual problem lies with these societies which come up with absurd rules like, no parking, visitors not allowed, no trucks etc without any consideration for the people getting affected.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 18:08   #12
BHPian

But there is an 'other side' to it. Many times, these security guards are treated horribly by the so called civilized people. I have seen it multiple times, some of the residents (even kids do the same) in our aptmt. complex treating security guard like a worm or insect.
That could be one reason for these guys to either turn dumb or become unnecessarily aggressive. But if you are smiling to them and speaking with some respect (best would be to speak their native language), they would immediately become friendly and nice in most of the cases. Might not work for the guy mentioned here by sarang
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 22:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Most of these guy are rather low on their IQ.
use that.

ask extremly confused questions.
who is the secretary/ president?
oh that guy.
change topic again.
ask him the date today.
change topic.

go on and on about nonsense.
keep refering to him in the third person.
ask him who he is again.

5 mins later
the guy is way out of his head and since you are making him think.
his brain suffers a short circuit and he is getting worried as some lights start going on.
mostly he will walk away mumbling/ grumbling...

works for me...

hahaha.. thats hilarious!!!
Of course, the flip side is that it could anger the dodo to an extent where he might try getting physical.

funny..none-the-less..
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 16:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

And find all the four wheels flat when you return? Or find some damage on your machine and have no one to complain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
Sarang, the rule is - Never argue with an idiot (in this case the security chap), he will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience.

In such cases of illogical explanations, just park the car and walk away.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote