Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 13th March 2010, 08:11   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi,

Just because one is doing 80 Kmph (max speed limit) does not mean that one should hog the right hand lane.

My 2p worth. No offence.

Regards,

SS
I agree. And I have seen people do it looking righteous about it too! The fast lane is not for permanent occupancy at any speed on the e way, unlike the German autobahns where it is more of a fast lane and not just an overtaking lane. Because there fast is for the truly fast, and not much overtaking happens among its occupants - or so it was till a few years ago at any rate.
Ironically,on the e way at times I have found that I am able to sit in the slowest lane on the left and move at 100/110 a lot more easily than in either of the other two lanes! Probably at times when the truck traffic is light. Wouldn't ever do that at night though.
PS: some one also said its about going with the flow, which is exactly right. Another way to describe it is one should be looking to fill in the empty spaces, not really expect others to make them for you. For instance if I come across a right lane occupant, it is almost always possible to make out if he/she will make way if flashed, from a long way behind. In that case, it sometimes works best to synch your speed to that car, and the traffic in the center lane, swing into the center, overtake, and swing out again or stay there depending on the next course of actions needed given the traffic conditions. Most of the time, I use the e way to see how smoothly I can do this filling in the empty places without inconveniencing anyone else bit instead of driving by rote on autopilot which can be exceedingly boring.

Last edited by Sawyer : 13th March 2010 at 08:21.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 09:13   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Since when did the judiciary find it's voice? People here are afraid of cops. Not the judiciary.
And T-BHP stickers on cars driven rashly is a negative propaganda for such a good community. So I stick to my point and happy that Exhast_note agrees too. Doesn't matter who drives your car. When reckless driving results in accidents, it's your car that's involved.

And clicking photos and informing local police? You think we are in US or UK? Try approaching any police station with a complaint. There is no timely justice for a common man in India. We are not advocating to take law in to own hands. But let's atleast keep this community of T-BHP a place for safe drivers and car lovers.
Well, my reference to the Indian Judiciary system is more of an analogy over here. In any case, I don't think that a T-BHP sticker could be the criteria to decide whether it is being driven by a member or not and whether it is owned by a member. When that itself cannot be established, how can we even take it forward to the level of censorship you are talking about - I don't look at it as a possible thing to implement - What can possibly be done within the purview of TBHP is IMHO propogate safe driving and leave it at that. TBHP can neither be responsible nor can it own up for what members have done on road.
bbkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 11:32   #123
Team-BHP Support

The most dangerous drivers on highways are those who block the fast lane, forcing faster traffic to zig zag.
when you see a zig zagging driver, don't think there goes a rash driver. Think, there is a reckless driver in the fast lane going slowly.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 11:44   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The most dangerous drivers on highways are those who block the fast lane, forcing faster traffic to zig zag.
when you see a zig zagging driver, don't think there goes a rash driver. Think, there is a reckless driver in the fast lane going slowly.
that is the most irritating thing. there are some people who will do 75-80 in the rightmost lane. you will be flashing lights at them from a mile away to move into the center lane, which btw will be empty. while u creep up on them they still show no signs of giving way. you decide to go into the center lane and pass and just as your doing that they decide to move. happens so often on the expressway.

btw - where do these cops with speed guns generally stand?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 13th March 2010 at 11:45.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 13:30   #125
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
how can we even take it forward to the level of censorship you are talking about - I don't look at it as a possible thing to implement - What can possibly be done within the purview of TBHP is IMHO propogate safe driving and leave it at that. TBHP can neither be responsible nor can it own up for what members have done on road.
Nope. T-BHP is a moderated community. It can hand out infarctions and also ban members who they think don't belong here.
It's a cumbersome job for the mods.
Neither am I holding TBHP responsible for what members have done on road nor suggesting them to do. But if such things are bought to the notice of Mods, they may send a PM to the offender and admonish him.

There's a thread anyway of spotting t-bhp members with their rides on roads. It won't be a big issue to start another thread that says "Spotting t-bhp member/ vehicles violating traffic rules" and post photos (with masking out part of the license plate.
This way we give a chance for member to come clean and improve on his mistakes. Or we can even find posts stating, I had this car till yesterday, I sold to a moron who did this, this morning!

Quote:
Hi,

I agree with you about the road not being a race track.
However, when one see's a faster car coming up behind you and flashing his headlights, why not just move over? This would save a lot of heartache on the expressway. If not, the guy is probably going to swerve into the middle lane to overtake you and cause even more problems for slower drivers.
He is not bulldozing you. He is just faster!!!
Just because one is doing 80 Kmph (max speed limit) does not mean that one should hog the right hand lane.

My 2p worth. No offence.

Regards,

SS
True SS. But if you look at my earlier post, I've mentioned that I do 80 on the middle lane and not on the right one. I don't go to the left one as it's hogged by trucks at 30 kmph. And when people come behind honking like crazy behind me on a middle lane, it is bulldozing.

Let's admit it, I've seen enough cases where people keep at 120 on all three lanes and drive as though there is no tomorrow. Leave on a friday night from pune to mumbai and You'd know what I mean.

And I know why people try to bulldoze others on the middle lane. There's a bigger volvo bus doing 90 on the rightmost lane! They can't compete with the bus guys, so they try overtaking them from left and end up harrassing poor drivers sticking to 80 on the middle lane.

I never keep on the right lane in E-Way. It's for passing and not hogging it. But everyone hogs the right lane.

Quote:
TSK sir. Who hogs the fast lane and does 80? No hatchbacks or even entry level sedans do that.
It's all the sumo/ safari/ tavera kind of people (mostly with yellow boards) and the volvo buses.

Maybe it's time the e-way has restrictions on the lane usage. Like yellow board vehicles and buses strictly stay off the right most lane. But who'll monitor these?

In US very few people keep to the left most lane. Because, that's where the cops have positioned the radar guns. 90% of public caught and fined for speeding are those who kept on those lanes. It acts as a deterrent so that people use the left most lane only for passing and don't stay there for long for fear of being pulled over and ticketed!

Just because some one is hogging the lane, doesn't mean you can swerve, or keep zipping across lanes. We need to respect flow of traffic too just as we expect the moron in front to do the same. 2 wrongs don't make one right!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 15th March 2010 at 10:36.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 10:42   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

And I know why people try to bulldoze others on the middle lane. There's a bigger volvo bus doing 90 on the rightmost lane! They can't compete with the bus guys, so they try overtaking them from left and end up harrassing poor drivers sticking to 80 on the middle lane.

I never keep on the right lane in E-Way. It's for passing and not hogging it. But everyone hogs the right lane.

TSK sir. Who hogs the fast lane and does 80? No hatchbacks or even entry level sedans do that.
It's all the sumo/ safari/ tavera kind of people (mostly with yellow boards) and the volvo buses.

Maybe it's time the e-way has restrictions on the lane usage. Like yellow board vehicles and buses strictly stay off the right most lane. But who'll monitor these?

In US very few people keep to the left most lane. Because, that's where the cops have positioned the radar guns. 90% of public caught and fined for speeding are those who kept on those lanes. It acts as a deterrent so that people use the left most lane only for passing and don't stay there for long for fear of being pulled over and ticketed!

Just because some one is hogging the lane, doesn't mean you can swerve, or keep zipping across lanes. We need to respect flow of traffic too just as we expect the moron in front to do the same. 2 wrongs don't make one right!
I have seen all kinds of vehicles hog the right lane. This includes Taxis, buses, trucks etc,.
Buses and trucks *sometimes* give way, but many times you have to overtake from left.
There are two choices. To be a save driver and go behind the truck at 50, or do a "zigzag" maneuver for overtaking heavy vehicles.

Then there are the hatchbacks, doing around 75-85 in the right lane, often slower(speed limit is 90).
To overtake them you have to speed beyond the speed limit, and overtaking a fast vehicle is tough on a highway. Again, you need to zig zag.

Last but not the least are ultra slow vehicles like tractors in the fast lane. They drive in the fast lane, and often against the traffic. None of them have any tail lights, and they carry iron rods too in many cases.

the the utopia of fast vehicle stick to right does not exist here. There is no policing for obstruction of traffic, hence you have the highways the way they are.
ITs not the speed that kills, its these idiotic drivers who make the highway a dangerous place and force others to zig zag

PS : I do 1000s of kilometers of highway driving every few weeks, and this scenario is universal in the country, whether its south or north.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 12:49   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Nope. T-BHP is a moderated community. It can hand out infarctions and also ban members who they think don't belong here.
It's a cumbersome job for the mods.
Neither am I holding TBHP responsible for what members have done on road nor suggesting them to do. But if such things are bought to the notice of Mods, they may send a PM to the offender and admonish him.

There's a thread anyway of spotting t-bhp members with their rides on roads. It won't be a big issue to start another thread that says "Spotting t-bhp member/ vehicles violating traffic rules" and post photos (with masking out part of the license plate.
This way we give a chance for member to come clean and improve on his mistakes. Or we can even find posts stating, I had this car till yesterday, I sold to a moron who did this, this morning!
1. I buy T-BHP stickers and am a member - I am expected to drive nicely
2. If the Stickered car does not belong to T-BHP, no worries. If it does, we have 1 more safely driven car on the roads.
3. I sell my car, I take out my personal stuff, including T-BHP Stickers.
4. Someone else driving my car . I ensure it is not driven rashly in future.

If my car is driven rashly, I would appreciate my team members bringing it to my notice.

Anyways this is slightly off topic, but nevertheless something that I feel strongly about.

Cheers!
Exhaust_Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 19:18   #128
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't state you are a reckless driver because you go at 117. But if you come behind me at 117 when I'm at 80 on that road, what you do and how you do it will determine whether you are a reckless driver or not.

I rarely notice people in India going with the flow. If they do 120, then they try to bulldoze as many as possible and push poor drivers out of the road and continue at 120. That In My Opinion is reckless driving.

The road is not a race track.
Ok fine now what about this .. Last week end made another trip to Mumbai on the expressway. Both up / down trips were made during twilight hours.

While going to Mumbai stuck to a speed of 90 - 100 (as the cop had lectured me) in the middle lane just to see what happens. Here are my observations.

+ve
1. More relaxed driving. Slower speed means lesser concentration of looking out for idiots crossing lanes without lane indicators, more time to react for braking and easier for reflexes to operate. Found ample time to chat with wife while the car was cruising effortlessly. Reached mumbai with lesser fatigue.

2. Of course fuel consumption was lower.(Must have saved about 3litres)

3. All said and done lesser risks to life and vehicle.

-ve.
1. Journey took about 35 minutes more (it was a sunday)
2. Even though i was at 90 there and on the middle lane there were atleast
30 vehicles with lower speed so had to overtake them using the fast
lane- was quite irritating.
3. About 60 cars zoomed passed me on the right lane at high speeds.
These included all sorts of vehicles ranging from volvo's, sumos, taveras,
innovas, the classic stallions like merc, bmw's audis, skodas, accords,
ikons, swifts, getz, i20, even maruti 800's, vans, indicas etc ... For a
pocket rocket that i have (getz crdi) was quite a shame ..
4. There were a lot of tucks on the middle lane with no tail lights. In twilight
and after darkness settles in becomes very difficult to see them. Did the
cops catch them - ? NO !. They pose a greater hazard (may cause a
pile up) than when I was going at 117 on the fast lane in SMOOTH
flowing traffic.
5. There were a dozen cars who were zig zaging like snakes on the
expressway across lanes. Did the cops catch them ?- NO !
6. There were 3-4 cars wherein drivers were happily chatting away on their
mobiles while driving on the fast lane. Did the cops catch them ? - NO !
7. On the khandala, lonavala ramp - right in front of the police chowky the
trucks make a big mess of lane traffic - Do the cops catch them ? - NO !
8. Neither do the cops catch people who drive like made men in congested
city traffic, cutting signals, honking like hooligans.
9. I also saw a couple of two wheelers on the expressway.(Please note
this was NOT on the common stretch that the expressway shares with
NH4 in between Khapoli and Lonavla) Did the cops catch them ? - No !

2 wrongs cannot correct a good thing but all facts mentioned above
constitute a more serious offence than overspeeding that too on the fast
lane and in fast moving traffic.

In the US the police don't catch people who are in fast moving traffic; the tendency to overtake comes because people drive slowly when they have to move fast and ironically move very quickly when they have to go slow in cities.
samatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 20:49   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samatre View Post
-ve.
1. Journey took about 35 minutes more (it was a sunday)
This cannot be all due to the e way speed reduction. Its about a 100kms stretch, so all you will lose by a drop of even 20 kmph in the average speed will be additional time of 15 minutes. In actual practice I have found that savings in time by pushing the car amounts to just 10 minutes shaved off from the e way and total transit time. No real impact on travel time, much saving in fuel, and a lot safer. Also boring, but safety can be so as we know in so many spheres!
I agree with the rest of your comments though, it is most frustrating. The only way is to console oneself with is the Be the change you want to see mantra!

Last edited by Sawyer : 19th March 2010 at 20:54.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 17:41   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I agree with you about the road not being a race track.
However, when one see's a faster car coming up behind you and flashing his headlights, why not just move over? This would save a lot of heartache on the expressway. If not, the guy is probably going to swerve into the middle lane to overtake you and cause even more problems for slower drivers.
Ive had experiences where in the moron speeding behind me is flashing his headlights and honking, when, I am overtaking a slower bus/trailer using the right most lane at 90-100kmph!!. I mean what kind of dumbass would they be, not to figure out the guy ahead is overtaking, has no space and I can wait for a min for him to clear my way????

OT:What gets my goat each time is the bhajanwalla gang all cozy in their overloaded tempo trax, usually silver colored with god's pics plastered all over the car, actually weaving their way on the E-way, on those cross ply nylons, at around 80-90kmph, singing bhajans!!!!. Man if you so wanna go to heaven there must be better ways
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 18:11   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the most happenong thing in Kerala, a state where people still think that good roads lead to more accidents (come to think of it, more accidents here than any other place), as trucks, crawlng cars and autorikshaws occupy the right lane till eternity (only very very few two lane roads in this most literate state). Perhaps this god's own country will remain this way for many more years. God save us.

Last edited by rajeev k : 20th March 2010 at 18:12. Reason: comma usage
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 18:11   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Ive had experiences where in the moron speeding behind me is flashing his headlights and honking, when, I am overtaking a slower bus/trailer using the right most lane at 90-100kmph!!. I mean what kind of dumbass would they be, not to figure out the guy ahead is overtaking, has no space and I can wait for a min for him to clear my way????

OT:What gets my goat each time is the bhajanwalla gang all cozy in their overloaded tempo trax, usually silver colored with god's pics plastered all over the car, actually weaving their way on the E-way, on those cross ply nylons, at around 80-90kmph, singing bhajans!!!!. Man if you so wanna go to heaven there must be better ways
better ways to go to heaven you nailed it dude
formel_eins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:17   #133
BHPian

The best speed spots are between the Mysore - Bangalore route . For every 20 feet from Bangalore university , we have various speed boards available .For every 300 feet we have various speed boards available .
Ranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 17:45   #134
BHPian

I seem to have been lucky. I recently touched 170 kmph with my Indigo CS on that expressway somewhere between Pune and Mumbai. Luckily, I did that on a Sunday and the cops must have made good money on Friday / Saturday and must be enjoying their Sunday

On a separate note, am now stationed in Mumbai and would love to attend any get togethers
Akadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 22:25   #135
Senior - BHPian

It was hilarious to see the thread starter posting he thought the speed limit was only suggestive and not legal.

That brings another question in my mind: How many people here actually know the traffic rules? Whether they follow them or not is another question.

So if the speed limit on the expressway is 80kmph, and you find a car in the rightmost lane going at 80kmph, what right do you have to flash your lights or honk and tailgate the car so you can zoom past, when you are breaking the law and the guy in front isn't?

I agree private vehicle owners are soft targets for overspeeding offences, but that doesn't absolve us of the duty to follow the traffic rules. Simply pointing fingers at other vehicles breaking the rules doesn't justify your breaking the rule.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote