Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 25th August 2007, 18:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

pig squeals on corners. i would recommend getting your wheel alignment checked.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 18:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

I just remembered. At the last track day, there was a blue swift behind me which lost control at the penultimate corner and went straight to the barriers. It was running on those stock tyres.

Also, during the recent 250m drag race at the track here, there was one swift that N_aditya's esteem beat and it was also shod with stock tyres.
With a weight of over 1 ton ,the Swift is dangerously under-tyred and I would suggest sticking posters at every maruti dealer advising swift buyers to upgrade the tyres first.
nitrous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 19:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I just remembered. At the last track day, there was a blue swift behind me which lost control at the penultimate corner and went straight to the barriers. It was running on those stock tyres.

Also, during the recent 250m drag race at the track here, there was one swift that N_aditya's esteem beat and it was also shod with stock tyres.
With a weight of over 1 ton ,the Swift is dangerously under-tyred and I would suggest sticking posters at every maruti dealer advising swift buyers to upgrade the tyres first.

95% of vehicles sold in India are dangerously under-tyred. This being said i garee that that the Swift is very tail happy. But I have found that running rear tyres on 26psi and fronts on 28psi helps to a very large extent. Tried and tested on my dad's stock swift.
Old 25th August 2007, 22:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And this is something that many UK instructors will hammer into their students:
Mind telling us what they teach in driving schools out there? Here, all you get to learn is to hold the steering straight from gear 1 to 4 (5 if the vehicle has it); and do a "H" for showing the testing inspector at the RTO. That will get you the license, and end of your instruction.

And these schools doctor the engine idle RPM, so that the vehicle does not stall due to mis-release of clutch during the driving test. This makes newbie drivers very uncomfortable on normal vehicles.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 22:32   #20
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
I own a Oct '06 Swift VXi with around 9100 Km on the odo. Always hated the original 165/80 JKs. But off late, though the pig-squeals on corners/noisy entrances into smooth hotel foyers were entertaining/embarassing, the lack of grip always worried me slightly.
What I am having in mind is that the tread in your front tyres may be wearing out much faster and you may have rotated your tyres recently. In which case the situation is ripe for oversteer, with much lower grip in the rear tyres.
Quote:
Yesterday, my worst fears were realized. I was going into a S-Curve at around 80+ kmph (traffic was sparse), accelerating in 3rd gear. In my earlier Ikon 1.6 SXi, I wouldn't even think twice to do it at 120 kmph.
As usual, the tyres started squealing and I didn't pay attention. Suddenly, the rear grip was gone and the car oscillated to the left. I quickly applied the requisite opposite lock and accelerated, but this in turn created a fish-tail effect - a left to right swaying.
Upon experiencing oversteer in FWD cars, opposite lock is not recommended and neither should you accelerate immediately, as these moves will increase the fish-tailing effect. What you should do is steer the car in the direction you want to go in and initially take your foot off the pedal; avoid braking hard, but brake lightly only if necessary. When the car slows down enough, the rear wheels will get some traction and the oversteer will begin to correct itself; *then* immediately accelerate out of the turn, once your car is going in the right direction. The acceleration will transfer some weight on to the rear wheels and tend to correct the car out of oversteer. Oversteer in FWD's is technically more difficult to handle than in RWD's.
Quote:
I just about missed hitting a two wheeler and my whole life flashed before me! Quickly, I did a handbrake turn, turned a full 180 degrees, faced the traffic (thankfully, sparse) and stopped the car. Probably, that saved my life and those of fellow commuters around me.
Messing around with the hand-brake when the car is fish-tailing at high speed could be extremely dangerous. What counts is you managed to get your car to halt safely. Good for you. But next time I think you should be better prepared for this kind of emergency.

Last edited by rks : 25th August 2007 at 22:47.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 22:57   #21
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
95% of vehicles sold in India are dangerously under-tyred. This being said i garee that that the Swift is very tail happy. But I have found that running rear tyres on 26psi and fronts on 28psi helps to a very large extent. Tried and tested on my dad's stock swift.
I suggest you maintain recommended tyre pressures, which I thought is ~30 psi (or is it 32 psi?) for the Swift. Do not reduce tyre pressures substantially below recommended levels. This could cause premature tyre wear and set you up for the kind of oversteer that you would like to avoid. And low tyre pressures will also adversely affect the handling at high speeds and reduce tyre life due to excessive stress on the sidewalls. Again you could land up in the kind of troubles that you wish to avoid.

Last edited by rks : 25th August 2007 at 22:58.
Old 25th August 2007, 23:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know your safe, those JKs are horrible in terms of grip, change them asap.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 23:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Good to know you are safe and sound, but I second the statement from skandy, dont test it, neither your machine nor your luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
skids are caused by drivers and not by tyres. period. it is a cardinal principle of driving that you understand both your and your machine's limits. failing that, neither maruti nor mercedes can help you.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 23:14   #24
BHPian

nice save there buddy, good that u came out of it unhurt. The swifts stock tyres are quite pathetic and not just hard cornering. Even in a straight line, if one had to break the stock tyres have no grip and continue skidding. I opted for 205/40 17's Hankook Ventus, never had a problem with skids or lack of grip after that.
Abix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 23:17   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sorry... if so, that's just bad driving.
Could you please explain as what he had done wrong?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 23:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

The company recommended pressure for swift is 28psi. So keeping 26 for the rear is ok. Also keep in mind that pressure increases due to heat build up in the tyre.
Old 25th August 2007, 23:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Recommended tyre pressure for the 165/80 profile is 33 psi.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 23:57   #28
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The company recommended pressure for swift is 28psi. So keeping 26 for the rear is ok. Also keep in mind that pressure increases due to heat build up in the tyre.
Here is a T-BHP post which claims that the recommended pressure is 33 psi for the Vxi and 29 psi for the Zxi (with wider tyres):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...tml#post381574

Futher, the claim is that the Swift manual requires an *increase* of 5psi over the recommended pressures for high-speed driving.

Do not worry about the increase of tyre pressures due to heat build up. Correctly inflated tyres can handle that comfortably. What you should worry about is the heat build up in underinflated tyres subjected to high-speed driving. That can cause a tyre to burst.

Last edited by rks : 25th August 2007 at 23:59.
Old 26th August 2007, 00:10   #29
BHPian

@himan: Please do understand the limits of your car and tyres before you start pushing.

I've upgraded the tyres and rims on my Baleno a week back, but I havent gotten used to them yet.

Corners which used to be taken at ~70kmph with my previous tyres (they were crappy falken ziex) are now taken at 50kmph with my new tyres (Yokohama S-drive). Its just a matter of understanding the way your car and tyres behave. Once you figure out the threshold limit.. Stay about 10% below that to be safe.

Also, you never Accelerate into a corner. You Accelerate out of a corner with a very controlled throttle command.

cheers!
Shrivz...

EDIT: I think its best to stick to the Factory recommended tyre pressure. Manufacturers are not fools. A lot of R&D is done before they come to the conclusion for a recommended tyre pressure. Increasing / Decreasing tyre pressure will cause uneven wear on your tyres.

This is just my opinion, please correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited by shrivz : 26th August 2007 at 00:16.
shrivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 00:52   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Mind telling us what they teach in driving schools out there? Here, all you get to learn is to hold the steering straight from gear 1 to 4 (5 if the vehicle has it); and do a "H" for showing the testing inspector at the RTO. That will get you the license, and end of your instruction.
Yep. I took a course of driving lessons in Chennai, and the instructor had a professional pride in teaching well, but I understand that it is often a rubber-stamp job --- and the test (I didn't even go around a whole block!) is a foregone conclusion.

Passing a British test is tough (I failed first time; nerves got in the way and I did most things wrong). There is a written test and a practical test, and you have to demonstrate that you can do all the basic manoeuvres as well as handling traffic. Try googling for British driving licence and driving test details, it's on the net --- you'll be amazed! But hey! Don't get any idea that this makes all Brits good drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Could you please explain as what he had done wrong?
Can't add much to what shrivz has already said. Slow down approaching the corner, changing down if necessary; keep the car under power into it, and power out of it. Traffic allowing, take a line around the corner of as big a radius as possible.

I've noticed my Swift tending to skid a touch when braking in a straight line last two days. I guess it is time I checked the tire pressures! <guilty blush>
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote