Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2007, 12:17   #1
BHPian
 
d_himan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 690
Thanked: 512 Times
Default Near Death Experience - Swift VXi

Hi everybody!

I own a Oct '06 Swift VXi with around 9100 Km on the odo. Always hated the original 165/80 JKs. But off late, though the pig-squeals on corners/noisy entrances into smooth hotel foyers were entertaining/embarassing, the lack of grip always worried me slightly.

Yesterday, my worst fears were realized. I was going into a S-Curve at around 80+ kmph (traffic was sparse), accelerating in 3rd gear. In my earlier Ikon 1.6 SXi, I wouldn't even think twice to do it at 120 kmph.
As usual, the tyres started squealing and I didn't pay attention. Suddenly, the rear grip was gone and the car oscillated to the left. I quickly applied the requisite opposite lock and accelerated, but this in turn created a fish-tail effect - a left to right swaying. I just about missed hitting a two wheeler and my whole life flashed before me! Quickly, I did a handbrake turn, turned a full 180 degrees, faced the traffic (thankfully, sparse) and stopped the car. Probably, that saved my life and those of fellow commuters around me.

My advise no. 1 - if you enjoy driving hard and cornering hard, forget the warranty/insurance invalidity fears, get yourself some decent rubber for the Swift Vxi...its a death trap otherwise.

Regards,
Himan
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 13:10   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default

Oh, oh, this is alarming. Are you sure this happened due to rubber only? Any other Swift Vxi owner with a similar experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Hi everybody!

I own a Oct '06 Swift VXi with around 9100 Km on the odo. Always hated the original 165/80 JKs. But off late, though the pig-squeals on corners/noisy entrances into smooth hotel foyers were entertaining/embarassing, the lack of grip always worried me slightly.

Yesterday, my worst fears were realized. I was going into a S-Curve at around 80+ kmph (traffic was sparse), accelerating in 3rd gear. In my earlier Ikon 1.6 SXi, I wouldn't even think twice to do it at 120 kmph.
As usual, the tyres started squealing and I didn't pay attention. Suddenly, the rear grip was gone and the car oscillated to the left. I quickly applied the requisite opposite lock and accelerated, but this in turn created a fish-tail effect - a left to right swaying. I just about missed hitting a two wheeler and my whole life flashed before me! Quickly, I did a handbrake turn, turned a full 180 degrees, faced the traffic (thankfully, sparse) and stopped the car. Probably, that saved my life and those of fellow commuters around me.

My advise no. 1 - if you enjoy driving hard and cornering hard, forget the warranty/insurance invalidity fears, get yourself some decent rubber for the Swift Vxi...its a death trap otherwise.

Regards,
Himan
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 13:45   #3
BHPian
 
Torque-ative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 487
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

I guess tire upsizing in a must in the hands of a driver who likes to drive harder than normal in almost all cars. I am glad you came out safer than sorry.

I guess I know where you're heading immidiatley after this incident.
While at it throw in some tasty rims as well.
Torque-ative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 13:51   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
binz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,299
Thanked: 410 Times
Default

Dude,scary experience .. that.I tend to push the tires to their limits once in a while,..think ill try not to cross that limit now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Oh, oh, this is alarming. Are you sure this happened due to rubber only? Any other Swift Vxi owner with a similar experience?
Yes,
rubber is pathetic,the car handles well otherwiise with better tires.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 14:13   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,521
Thanked: 7,202 Times
Default

Hmmm..that was some experience. Even i love driving hard especially around corners since the thrill factor is a bit more. But, knowing the limits of the car/rubber is essential so you stick within that range. I reckon an upgrade is due for your style of driving !
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 14:20   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Madras
Posts: 558
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Oh my! This is scary! Glad that you reacted with precise and correct control! Was the road slippery or a sloping curve?

I remember when I went fast on skinny tyres, sloping curves were worse than levelled curves.

I'm sure you must've vowed not to do it again until you've upsized your tyres.. Get some nice grippy ones!

cya
A
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 14:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,616
Thanked: 6,704 Times
Default

You were accelerating into a bend?

Sorry... if so, that's just bad driving.

Then... You're in a skid, and you accelerate more? turn the wheel against it? And use the handbrake?

Might be valid stunt driving, but none of this figures in what I was taught.

And this is something that many UK instructors will hammer into their students:

Q. What causes a skid?

A. The driver.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 25th August 2007 at 14:43. Reason: Added
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 14:45   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,616
Thanked: 6,704 Times
Default

Having said all that...

Hey! You and the car are still alive.

If it happened to me I very well might not be <Blush>
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 14:58   #9
BHPian
 
dustDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surat/Pune
Posts: 155
Thanked: Once
Default

Had a similar experience on the expressway....
On a right, down-sloping turn, my zen lost grip. The tyres locked and on turning in the opposite direction (to avoid hitting the divider) it did a 180 degree and went reverse into an exit, that due to sheer luck was present just at the end of the turn.
If the exit wouldn't have been there.... SMASH!!!! the reason was the same, stock tyres and over-enthusiastic driving! I corner within limits, eversince!
dustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 15:59   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
binz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,299
Thanked: 410 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You were accelerating into a bend?

Sorry... if so, that's just bad driving.

Then... You're in a skid, and you accelerate more? turn the wheel against it? And use the handbrake?

Might be valid stunt driving, but none of this figures in what I was taught.

And this is something that many UK instructors will hammer into their students:

Q. What causes a skid?

A. The driver.
Pardon my ignorance but i feel he did the right thing.I would really like to know what the instructors have said though.

And please note,its not the driver here that caused the skid.If maruti cuts costs and gives us undertired cars,they are solely responsible
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 17:12   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,965
Thanked: 268 Times
Default

Here's my recommendations:
1.Get 195/65/R14(stock rims) or 195/60/R15
2.Don't miss the upcoming track day in chennai and learn the dynamics of cars while driving fast.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 17:47   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 172
Thanked: 249 Times
Default

scary thing man,
i totally agree with you in that point, the stock tyres on a swift isnt sufficeint for its characteristics, when i bought swift 2 years ago, tthe first thing i did was to change that stock tyres to MICHELIN CERTIS 185/70/R14, pretty good tyre set indeed. can carry good speeds around a corner......




happy driving , drive safe......
kicksperliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 18:02   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,837
Thanked: 354 Times
Default

Have had a similar experiance in 1990 in a Maruti 800 with stock tyres on the Dehradun Hills. Since that day 17 years back.. the FIRST THING I do when I buy a car is head straight to the TYRE SHOP & change to wide tyres. The difference is huge & safety always comes first. Just make sure you go for the correct upsize though.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 18:05   #14
BHPian
 
skandyhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte/Blore
Posts: 347
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

i'm happy to read that it was a NEAR-death thing, and glad to know everyone's unharmed.

yet, i disagree with binz. skids are caused by drivers and not by tyres. period. it is a cardinal principle of driving that you understand both your and your machine's limits. failing that, neither maruti nor mercedes can help you.

although i agree that driving fast is thrilling and tempting, i would still say it is a dangerous game, and it takes time for sanity to fight its way into our heads. pushing your car hard is the frayed end of wisdom, don't you agree? and d_himan, i do plead guilty of the same charges occasionally!

cheers!
skandyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 18:05   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,569
Thanked: 230 Times
Default

I myself felt that I am loosing control of the car doing corners at 60 KMPH. especially sloping corners. It is the tires that are the culprit. Never exceed 60 KMPH in the corners with stock JK tyres better do 50 KMPH or less.

Mine is a VDI and is heavier in the bonnet. hence it is more unstable with stock tyres.

Last edited by DieselFan : 25th August 2007 at 18:07.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service Mad Monkey Technical Stuff 181 14th January 2016 23:22
Near Death Past Experience: Broke my Spine!! johnruben Street Experiences 38 30th August 2012 12:45
ThimarayaSwami Betta near Nandhi hills & Sivappana Betta Near Sangam hisunil 4x4 Excursions 6 8th October 2010 08:56
swift-vxi,logan-dlx,esteem-vxi which one is better ???? uvais Hatchbacks 4 17th October 2007 10:17
Swift vxi or Esteem vxi ? bsm3477 Hatchbacks 11 15th October 2006 13:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks