Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 2nd September 2007, 12:03   #16
BHPian

"There is a lot of difference between driving fast on the streets and street racing. Normally people associate fast driving to street racing, a theory very commonly publicized by our press."

No difference as far as other of the road are concerned. Both are Illegal and will put to risk Life and property of Other road users and pedestrians.

Stick to the specified limits and respect other road users. The only place where one can prove his skills in driving fast is on a race track or a private road. Period.

And IMO the only thing which one needs to do either of the above is oodles of stupidity and arrogence.

Last edited by w 12 : 2nd September 2007 at 12:09.
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 17:22   #17
BHPian

Do expect your car to be set on FIRE if you hit a pedestrian while street racing.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 17:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

I hope people here practise what they preach..anway i m outta this topic..!!
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 21:17   #19
BANNED

Question Ain't it ridiculous???

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I hope people here practise what they preach..anway i m outta this topic..!!
The topic is about a guy who thinks street to be the place to show off and compete with his driving skills. If one posts he is wrong in doing so, why should somebody say it is not? I, for sure think that a person with this sort of thinking (street+driving skill+racing) is really dangerous on any road. That should be very much discouraged. It is not a matter of you indulging in some rage somewhere. The above theory should never be considered correct!

Streets are for commuting and safe driving only. If somebody does break this rule sometimes, he shouldn't think it is correct too.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 14:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the adrenaline rush, the only rush that is part of street racing is the rush to the hospital.

Please don't listen to your friend or argue with him.
As they say, "do not argue with idiots, as they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 15:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Show your friend the "accidents in India" thread. All his street racing symptoms will be cured instantly (it cured mine at least).
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 22:39   #22
BHPian

Wink

I don't know how to reason with him. So I have stopped attempting to do so. Unless he drives on the track, or God forbid meets with an accident while street ripping/racing- I cannot prove him wrong. So whenever we both get together with a car between us, it is me who takes the wheel or else I refuse to be a sitting duck in the shotgun seat.
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 06:02   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Your friend is both right and wrong. He is right ONLY because he has not yet been on track and therefore assumes that it is kids play when compared to street racing. Unless one has tried both options, does it make any sense to say that one is tougher than the other ? And he is wrong because track racing is not as easy as it looks on TV.

As someone who has had the opportunity to take part in 2 track days (one on the Formula Swift and the other in my normal street car), I can say that driving on track is a different ballgame altogether. When we sit and watch videos of people driving on track, it all looks so easy. But believe me, once you are there, you get to know the skill it takes.

Tell him to get down to a track and check it out for himself before assuming that it is nothing compared to the street driving he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday
He agreed but said that he wants someone (more specifically down south who have easy access to race-tracks and other organized events) to challenge him for a "dirty" street race in jam packed traffic.
True that we have access to atleast 2 tracks. But that doesn't mean that everyone driving down south keeps going to the tracks every other week. And please let him know that like him, we also have here our share of drivers/bikers who think they are pretty good at street racing, who can give him a run for his money.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 08:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
True that we have access to atleast 2 tracks. But that doesn't mean that everyone driving down south keeps going to the tracks every other week.
Very true.. We cannot make it to the track every other weekend due to several practical reasons; but once someone has driven on the track even once seriously just wants to come back for more. The adrenaline rush; without worrying about a cyclist popping up out of nowhere, is a treat. That is one thing which street racing does not include. But I guess the people who are involved in such kind of dangerous driving, find their high in playing dodge'em instead of the track focussed driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And please let him know that like him, we also have here our share of drivers/bikers who think they are pretty good at street racing, who can give him a run for his money.
As you might have noticed from my first post; I just ended the conversation when he said he wants to have a go with someone who can compete with him in "dirty" street racing. I do not advocate this kind of irresponsible driving/riding at all. Thats all.

@ supremeBaleno: Please do not take this as a personal argument.
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 10:43   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I do not advocate this kind of irresponsible driving/riding at all. Thats all.
Neither do I. What I meant was there are enough people driving like him on the streets all over the country, not just him in U.P.

Quote:
supremeBaleno: Please do not take this as a personal argument.
Sure.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 11:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Street racing involves a lot of luck and good all round judgment (and a lack of common sense) to be in a prolonged tenure and get away with it safely. But, mostly its LUCK. Luck that some cycle guy didn't pop up when you could not have stopped, luck that the car ahead of you saw his rear view mirrors and moved away, luck that that truck was an inch further away from what it could have been causing you to miss clipping him. You get the drift.

Exactly. It involves the prayers of many people too (to protect themselves from lunatics). Just because one gets away with it on most occasions does not mean that he is good at it, it just means that the traffic around him was more aware of these type of drivers & have given way to him,
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 03:15   #27
BHPian

it is idiots like him that chip paint off the car, punch dents into it, breaking parts and hearts. that's in the very best of situations. the unthinkable and most tragic may follow any time.

this attitude in millions of us around the country is a dangerous disease, and would surely have claimed more lives than any other that the doctors diagnose. sadly, it has no cure recognisable.
skandyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 08:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Most tragic part is - people overspeeding on the streets may not themselves get involved, but may force others into accidents. Just think of the plight of some innocent biker hit by another who is trying to avoid this speeding maniac?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote