Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th September 2007, 21:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the whole city is choked with traffic and rain-water. Utter chaos all through the place.
Just met up with maggie near my house and he is driving back home now. Sure will loose a couple of pounds by the time he gets home .

There is some kinda connection between the rains and the retards in town.

Reason being I find the a steep increase in the count of imbeciles when it rains. No one gives a damn about the rules and continue to break rules at every single juncture .

Had left my car for servicing at RNS and went over to collect it in the evening, took me 3 hrs to cover 3kms to my house.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 22:21   #47
Team-BHP Support

ejipura signal yday or was it daybefore.. morning before rain, sadly cops were not there at 9 am and the "educated" people of bangalore, which is 85% techies, were not even bothered that it was a junction manned by a signal!! total chaos while signal lights were doing its routine disco.

so i think all of us are to be blamed, lets make a difference first and stop cribbing and expect govt to do somethin about it.

oh, i forgot, i waited long enough there, and thanks to all the madness got a decent stretch for a wheel spin launch and run and am getting that monster truck add on's lolz
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 22:24   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
and am getting that monster truck add on's lolz
Tell me when your getting them, I need a set for my Alto as well. lol.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 22:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

hmmm I was lucky today it seems.Didn't found much traffic today.It was normal. Left office at Bannerghatta road around 8.20 and was home by 9.15 around.
And techies, yeah most of the road illiterates are probably from our fraternity.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 22:39   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Just met up with maggie near my house and he is driving back home now. Sure will loose a couple of pounds by the time he gets home .

Definitely. But not from the places I wanted.

But, fortunately the drive back was as normal on other days - no jams/flooding etc. This was the normal Mekhri Circle -> Windsor Manor -> Corporation route.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 00:10   #51
BHPian

I think Bangalore is over saturated. IT companies need to find new green field cities rather then over crowding Bangalore.

Here is my story-
Thu 13 Sept 07
As usual, stayed late to cope up with tigher development schedules. Stepped out of office located near Sajrapur Road junction on Outer Ring Road at around 11:00 PM. Heavy rain is going on. Have to go to Banashankari. Usual route is OOR, Silk board Junction, BTM, Jayanagar, Devegowda Petrol Pump and home sweet home.

Sarjapur Road / OOR towards Agara is jam packed but nevigatable. But by the time I crossed Agara junction towards Silkboard, whole road is blocked. I could imagine that it would be all the way till silk board junciton. Pushed my brain and prepared for nightmare. And took left to into HSR layout. After zigzaging through this nice layout, managed to get onto Hosur road after a little struggle to enter on Hosur Road ( past silk board junction towards Ecity) as it was under heavy traffic. I had that idiotic idea in mind that l'll take U-turn some on Hosur road and will come back silkboard junction. Hosur road was as badly jammed as ORR for couple of kilometers.

Then realized that how about taking NICE road? Only had heard of it but never travelled and it was around 12:00 midnight. There seem no option. Drove towards Ecity and found out NICE intersection. NICE road was good to begin with and there were marking showing Mysore/Banergatta/Kanakapura etc and was thrilled with the idea that I'll join Kanakpura Road and come back to Banashanakari. Since it was a newly constructed road and was unfamaliar to me, I was careful while driving. Drove may be 10 - 12 KM and was looking for Baneragatta / Kanakpura Road exit but there seem to be nowhere in sight. And suddenly I saw a big puddle and road going nowhere. Actually there was no road beyond that point. There were no sign whatsoever that road isn't going any beyond. Actually Mysore/Banergatta signs were misnomer. Found myself stuck and prepared for staying whole night in car.

Took U-turn from that dead end on the same left carriage as there was big trench and I didn't dare with my Santro to cross to other side ( that's correct side). So drove 200 - 300 mtrs in wrong directions saw one private and a call center cab going somewhere in a small road. Decided to follow that since I had Bangalore map in mind and knew that direction at least is correct. Drove may be 2 - 3 KM in dilapidate rural sort of road on periphery of a village. Was prepared to face what come may but encounted couple of Indica cabbies and realized that it was probably incomplete section and this is the correct detour. Reached a nicely finished road in a short while and was thrilled to realize that it was Banergatta Road. It may be around 12:20 midnight by now. Swiftly drove towards city as whole stretch was empty all the way towards inner ring road junction. There was little traffic but heavy rain but used it to my advantage and reach home may be another 15 mins.

So saved myself from traffic jam and reached home safely in around 1 hr 40 mins in all from Sarjapur / OOR to BSK III stg. Car is fine mechanically but looks air sealing is probably broke. Today I could smell exhaust gas inside aircondined car when ended up following a badly tuned auto and a Sumo omitting black smoke. Any idea on what may have gone wrong.

PS: didn't bother to calculate exact distance but it should be around 35 KM instead of usual 20 K.

Last edited by nispatel : 15th September 2007 at 00:18.
nispatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 00:41   #52
BHPian

well, after a story like that one, nispatel, I can't say I went through anywhere near an ordeal as you did...

I also usually take Hosur road north from Koramangala to get to my near-RT Nagar residence. I guess the main problem was everyone and their uncle was waiting for the rain to die down yesterday and ended up leaving between 9 and 10 pm. therefore, rush hour was pushed up by a couple of hours and a few good stretches of the road were inundated.

There was a point where I thought it would be better to take the inner ring road to Indiranagar and continue via old madras road...but I was too far up Hosur Rd. to double back then...besides, the traffic going that way was getting worse too.

I thought my Ikon held up well through the rain and stop and go traffic, but today I realized that I must have hit some pothole too fast and too hard....my aftermarket muffler is loose!! it started pinging like crazy today esp. at lower gears...

first I was afraid I might have ruined the clutch plate or any one of the gears (from doing a wheel spin near cantonment rlwy.)...but then was relieved to see it was only the exhaust...

I'm going on a biz trip till next next Monday, so the exhaust fix will have to wait till then...
vezj420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 00:50   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
In an automatic you stick it into "L" Low which basically keeps you in 1st & second. This way you keep you revs up during crossings.
I agree but with a MT you can control the clutch and get much higher revs to keep water from entering the exhaust. Thats what I meant when I asked how do you do the same in AT?
kumar2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 13:24   #54
BHPian

it took 3.5 hours for me to reach kumarswamy layout from bellandur junction on thursday night. at one point of time near BTM Layout, opp AXE?, it took a sensible guy to step out and manage the traffic for 2 minutes to pave way properly. i was suprised that i "hardly" spent any time after crossing bannerghatta road. the roads were empty as though there was some kind of curfew !!!

on friday morning, i had to go to a bank in koramangala. Again surprisingly it took me only 1 hour. in the evening, i decided to move out of office only after 9pm. and guess what i took me just 1 hour (even after detouring to fill up my tank at the koramangala BP COCO).

may be i was quite lucky. but the most important lesson : be good to others on the road, and get that butt out of the car to manage traffic in these kind of situations.
crkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 12:15   #55
BHPian

For those few who have missed my rantings on the terrible traffic scene in Bangalore - I have resolved 99% of my commuting problems by shifting my house closer to the office. I now live a mere 6 km from my office in ITPL and drive an extra 0.5 km each way to take a slightly less crowded route by going via Hoodi junction (i avoid going from EPIP-SAPLabs-Sai baba hospital road).

Am feeling good and my stress levels (due to traffic) are down. I have exchanged that for moderately high stress levels on the financial front (have taken on an EMI ) which i think is eminently manageable.

I highly recommend this. In this day when traffic is so unmanageable, isn't it more practical to arrange to stay closer to your place of work?

If we examine the reasons why someone would stay in RT Nagar (for e.g.,) and work in Electronic city (for e.g,), they would be :

a. Have always lived there and dont want to shift - not worth the effort and stress according to me with today's traffic conditions which are not likely to improve - ever
b. My wife's office is closer to the home - This will qualify as a good reason imo. Its good to have one person closer to the home.
c. the kids' school is close by - wait until school year end and move the kid. he/she will most likely adjust better than you. There are enough good schools in bangalore.
d. Job is impermanent, while home is permanent - good enough, so take a place on rent close by to the office while you work there.
e. My parents feel comfortable with their friends circle - believe me, this was the biggest reason I did not move for many months, but now my mother enjoys the new location more than the old one. she's made more friends and has more avenues to pass her time.
f. We stay in our own house - So rent your own house out and take a place on rent closer to your office. The differential in rent will not be too much.

Consider it and consider it seriously. In today's time and age and especially in a place like bangalore where there is enough demand and supply of rented places, it just doesnt make sense to live more than 10 km away from your workplace - even lesser if you have to cross a place like Silk Board junction or Marathahalli or KR Puram or even Bannerghatta Road. Your quality of life will be much better and you will be able to spend more time with your family which, at the end of the day, is what everyone wants to do.

btw, this morning was bad. From Tata Elxsi to a little past Shantiniketan took 30 minutes to commute. One container truck was stuck diagonally across the two lane road. The good part is that its front was stuck close to a factory entrance, so smaller vehicles could still drive past. However, another container truck couldnt and hence had stopped some distance away adding to the chaos since he hadnt switched on his hazard lights to indicate that he had stopped too. So traffic was stuck for a good 1 hour before that and is possibly still stuck.

Its not ALL good times, but compared to ALL bad times, a few bad times are quite manageable.
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 12:31   #56
Team-BHP Support

The metro should definitely ease road constraints in BLR such as these. But it remains to be seen how efficiently that project is executed.
Old 17th September 2007, 12:35   #57
Team-BHP Support

Today also the same story. Took nearly 2 hours to reach work. Madivala market was jammed. After that Bomanahalli junction has almost a foot of stagnant water. The worst part is that the road is bad and water means you don't know what your driving on. A Innova got stuck after he fell into a ditch.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 12:52   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

last week, since wednesday morning i had been travelling in traffic jams only. Thats why i decided not to step out of the house for the two day weekend.

I dont know which night was worse. Thursday or Friday. Both nights i thought water will definitely enter the car. My car has a low ground clearance anyways. Thankfully nothing of the sort happened. Bannerghatta road was like a river, with water rushing into it with tremendous flow.

Thankfully today traffic was better. I hope my luck stays with me.

By the way, have decided to raise the suspension of my car next week. Maybe the rains will be over by then but still, who knows. Better late than never.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 15:09   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The metro should definitely ease road constraints in BLR such as these. But it remains to be seen how efficiently that project is executed.
Ever the optimist, haan?
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 15:19   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
Ever the optimist, haan?

In a previous lifetime! Now, its more the realist