Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th September 2007, 00:49   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Bangalore flooded.

Well hosur road is under water once again tonight. Wasn't able to come back home from work.

I left office at 10:30pm. Reached Kudlu gate and saw a huge traffic pile up. Luckily I was on the service lane. Heard from colleagues who had left earlier that there was water everywhere. Managed to make a U-turn and go back towards E-city.

I took a left at Hosa road central jail junction and continued on that road. Reached Sarjapur road somewhere near the wipro office. Went and joined teh outer ring road till marthahalli and then joined airport road. Got a huge jam near the airport and turned right into CV raman nagar road. Took left at jivanbeema nagar and joine Indiranagar 80 feet road. From there CMH road to MG road and home.

The rain was so bad that with my wipers at full speed I was barely able to see the road at 30kmph. Everyone had their hazard lights on as well. Managed to reach home sometime back at 12:30am.
Total distance covered from E-city to cunningham road was 59kms.

I don't know what will happen tomorrow if it continues like it is right now.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 00:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thank god I never made it to work today. I can imagine what Bommanahalli will be and traffic would have piled up all the way till e-city phase 1.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 00:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

yikes!!
hope the electricity & water services weren't affected.
Drive safe..everyone!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 01:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Thank god I never made it to work today. I can imagine what Bommanahalli will be and traffic would have piled up all the way till e-city phase 1.
At 10:30pm it was piled uptill kudlu gate. It was really bad. A split second decision and I was able to avoid it and had a quiet traffic free 60km drive back home. My car also got cleaned properly.
Old 14th September 2007, 01:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Let me guess !! HP,Infy,Siemens,Wipro,Bosch ... all company buses leave between 9:15 and 9:30 pm. Violaa I can imagine the situation now.
Old 14th September 2007, 01:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Pretty heavy rain today.Actually never have seen such a pounding from a long time.It started the time I left office(around 7.30pm).Big big traffic jam at BTM layout and then Madiwala junction.And exactly as Vid said, visibility was hardly anything, I was just following the car infront probably at a speed of 20kmph.Reached home around 9.30pm.
And btw, I'm not sure if it was really happening but while waiting for traffic to move I was feeling as if the car is rocking slightly due to the pounding of the rain.Can this happen ? May be I was hallucinating And I actually checked it by switching off the engine also and I did felt that.God, such a heavy rain it was.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 01:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

What a mess thats gotta be! Basically no one get anywhere,with all the clogged vehicles blocking the road & the morons trying to squeeze through creating a block hole.

I do hope things are better tomorrow. Is it supposed tp continue raining for the next couple of days?
Old 14th September 2007, 01:18   #8
Team-BHP Support

I'm not coming on Hosur road if it continues to rain tomorrow. The sarjapur road is newly tarred and awesome. Takes 15mins from sarjapur road to Hosa road junction. There is a 100metre stretch which is not ready through a small village.

Would suggest people to take that road to come to E-city.
Old 14th September 2007, 01:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Vid that road has been there for quite sometime now. I take that road when-ever it rains and get to the Outer Ring Road from there.
Old 14th September 2007, 01:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

vid, where is this Hosa rd? I can't recollect the name. Is it a relatively newly-named road?
pardon my knowledge..
Old 14th September 2007, 07:19   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The rain was so bad that with my wipers at full speed I was barely able to see the road at 30kmph.

Dear boy,

The local knowledge says that 2 days before the Gowri festival, there will be very heavy rains. According to this folklore, Gowri comes to Earth thru this rain. So you cant beat the Gods.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 07:45   #12
BHPian

Default Help!! drove through water

I suffered Bangalore traffic for 3 hours on this rainy day and then drove through deep water on the home stretch in the 4th hour (literally, started at 7:35PM and reached home at 11:20PM(about 15 Km in over 3.5 hours).
Indira Nagar to Sony world - 15 minutes. Sony world to madivala - 1.5 hours, madivala to BG road -1.5 hours. BG road onwards - 30 odd minutes.

There was a huge wait for the water to recede on the road and not to mention the usual pile of vehicles. After the rain subsided, a bus moved and then some qualis variety taxis. I was one of the first few to go through after these (not having any more patience left).

Do I need to take any care this morning ? Drove all in 1st gear with high speed(20KMph) and all lights on without stopping. Car was Corolla. The water would have been upto 2/3 of the wheels of a Santro and about more than half of the wheel height on a Corolla(guessing this - I only saw the Santro in front). On my return to parking, I just let it idle for a few minutes at about 3000RPM and switched off. Need any care in the morning ? Any checks ?

thanks
subbarp

Last edited by subbarp : 14th September 2007 at 08:02. Reason: changed tomorrow to this morning -already morning
subbarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 07:53   #13
BANNED

Was just wondering after I drove thru floods yesterday - what do guys with an AT do to keep the revs high while going thru water?
kumar2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 09:25   #14
BHPian

Hmm!! That calls for a seperate thread looks like!! How do you drive in flooded conditions and what to do after such a butchery of the car!!!

I was stuck in the rain too yesterday, but am a lucky one, who has to drive to Koramangala from Indiranangar. Not much water logging, but the rain was so heavy that even at full wiper speed, could hardly see anything. Maintained 30kmph and followed a car ahead.

I remember reading in one of the auto magazines to drive in lower gear, but at a high RPM so that water will not enter the exhaust. I did put that funda to use in Brigade road, after Asirwadam junction, which normally gets flooded. Water for sure covered my exhaust, but I drove at full accelerator and half clutch to clear the puddle of around 100 meters. Nothing happened to my car after that, and it is a Corolla. So, Subbarp, if you did not notice anything bad or strange noise, you should be ok.

Cheers

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 09:37   #15
Team-BHP Support

Seems like there's water today as well. My manager left from E-city towards ITPL for a meeting at 6:30am anticipating traffic and he is yet to reach silk board at 9:30am. I think below the flyover there is water. I'm staying at home today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
vid, where is this Hosa rd? I can't recollect the name. Is it a relatively newly-named road?
pardon my knowledge..
Nitin, it's teh junction before the Audi showroom. It's called hosa road and teh new central jail is on that road. Also there is the Bosch Nagnathpura plant on that road. Just continue on that road and you reach Sarjapur road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
Do I need to take any care this morning ? Drove all in 1st gear with high speed(20KMph) and all lights on without stopping. Car was Corolla. The water would have been upto 2/3 of the wheels of a Santro and about more than half of the wheel height on a Corolla(guessing this - I only saw the Santro in front). On my return to parking, I just let it idle for a few minutes at about 3000RPM and switched off. Need any care in the morning ? Any checks ?

Nothing much to check unless you hit some big potholes which were covered in water. Just make sure you dab brakes a few times before parking. If there is water accumulated on the disc, it will catch rust and in the morning will make khass khass sound. It's not that great a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
Hmm!! That calls for a seperate thread looks like!! How do you drive in flooded conditions and what to do after such a butchery of the car!!!
There is a thread with tips on driving in the rain by the don.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ains-tips.html

Last edited by Vid6639 : 14th September 2007 at 09:41.