Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 1st December 2007, 01:53   #46
BHPian

"Like controlling the world. Controlling the men that control the world. Giving birth to men that control the world. Allowing men to believe that they are in charge and sitting back with a knowing smile. Watching nations rise and fall for them."
Wise words by a wise man.
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 03:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Strangly alluring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Well these are some of the unwritten rules of India
Accident between pedestrian and two wheeler - two wheeler's fault
" " two wheelers and four wheeler - four wheeler's fault
" " four wheeler and six wheeler - six wheeler's fault.
" " Male and female driver - Male driver's fault.
As a foreigner who holds an Indian driver's license, unlike a lot of Indians, and tries very hard to be polite, drive carefully and abide by the rules, I have to say.....THERE AREN"T ANY FREAKING RULES!!!!! And, regardless of what else is involved, IT"S MY FREAKING FOREIGNER FAULT!!!

Also, Sam Kapasi, my sister finds you "strangly alluring", her words. Oddly enough, my young troubled brother said the same thing.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 06:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

Whenever I spot a lady driver on the road, i get insecure and run away as soon as I can.
If a lady wants security on the streets, best place is behind the wheel.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 09:29   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Oddly enough, my young troubled brother said the same thing.
Sam I told you all that sweet stuff you ooze will get you into trouble.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 15:54   #50
BHPian

Sam, what do you say of lady drivers who apply make up while driving ?
I saw this around 3 months ago on a major road in Delhi.

And what of the lady drivers who just park their cars in the middle of a lane and walk off? Any attempts to get them to move the car only result in unpleasant scenes, no matter how politely you ask them.
Somehow I get the feeling that ladies think the road belongs to them, that they can never be wrong, and everyone around them is a fool.

Last edited by akg7091 : 1st December 2007 at 15:56.
akg7091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 18:08   #51
Team-BHP Support

I don't know nor care what anyone else thinks of them, but women, men or anything in between that is doing anything apart from paying attention to the road, while driving is STUPID.

does not mean that a driver is to not listen to music or talk to a co-passenger, but anything that involves any limb for any activity other than car control is WRONG.

If Man = Woman
then why do we want to treat
Women > Men
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 18:25   #52
BHPian

i have no clue why the owner beat up his driver...if the spares are expensive why did he hire him in the first place.....maybe he was showing of to the lady driver
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 19:49   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
She had the courtesy to smile at you even though you were too close to her car. I don't think that she was at fault.

1 foot is too small a distance to maintain while driving.
i've been driving for 2.5 years in Mumbai, and that was the only actual accident that i've had [dominoes guy scratched the side of my car once...] well yeah that was the only accident i've had when my car wasn't parked

*knock on wood*

Oh and I see this all the time in Cali, women with a phone tucked between their ear and their shoulder, applying make up with one hand, the other holding the wheel, and all the while they are staring into the rearview mirror while in motion!!!
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 00:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
does not mean that a driver is to not listen to music or talk to a co-passenger, but anything that involves any limb for any activity other than car control is WRONG.
What do you mean by that? By what I infer from it, I totally agree.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 10:24   #55
BHPian

My experiences reinforce the same opinion as expressed here,except Sam.

Case in point is my sister, she drives in delhi in such care free nature that it is like a rollercoaster ride. Whenever i sit with her i have my right foot searching for the non existent brake pedal and stabbing at it continously, my hands on the dashboard expecting an accident to happen and a prayer on my lips. Many a times she has come home with dents in her car(santro) and on being asked what happened she non chalantly replies she hit a bike(twice) or a car(thrice) and then goes back to what she was doing. we have had no police compaints or people asking for money even though the way she drives i am pretty sure it was her fault mostly. Though give her the highway and it is a blissful ride. She has never gotten a mileage of more than 12kmpl, that also on a ride to Jaipur from Delhi.

Then there is personal experience. I was travelling down a two way street towards a T junction on my bike. I was to take a left turn and as soon as i started going into the turn two ladys coming from on the road i was to go on were taking a right turn into the road i was on.(hope you get the picture). Now instead of sticking to their lane which would have been the outside one, they came into my lane completley and hence directly in front of me. Both of us screeched to a halt but the lady lost her balance and they both went down.
Soon a crowd gathered and they all started berating me on my driving especially cause i was on a pulsar and was looking like a college student. I helped them get their kinetic up and then stood their awhile waiting for all the 'bhiyas' to stop shouting. Finally when one of them pushed me, i shouted at them to shut up. Then i asked them to see where we were standing, that is my lane and not ladys and hence it was not my fault but theirs. This angered them even more and now the ladys started shouting as well. Finally an aged samaritan came from behind and told the others how and why the accident happened. He also told me go before more bhiyas came. So i left but not before the ladys started asking for money for their 15yr old kinetic. I smiled at their demand, put on my helmet and zoomed off.

The incident confirmed that girls get away with more than we ever can and also that even though females may be as good drivers as men are, stastistically , practically the situation not so rosy.
hell_raiser is offline   Reply With Quote