Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 18th November 2008, 13:15   #16
BHPian

Default Travelling to another state - (Hyderabad to Sholapur). Need help!

Hi friends ,

We are planning a trip to Solapur, Maharashtra, from Hyderabad, in the last week of December. The primary purpose is to attend a wedding ceremony.

We are planning to take our car, obviously with all the required documents. Apart from that I have some queries which are mentioned below:

1) Can we cross over to Maharashtra with a AP registered car? Is prior permission required from RTA or any other authority for crossing over to a different state?

2) Will I have to pay any extra charges, taxes, etc. for entering Maharashtra?

3) I have seen some cars, which have "All India Permit". Is this only applicable for taxis or cabs, or can even be taken for non-commercial/personal cars?

4) Lastly, will the traffic police still try to levy some extra charges in case there is no official prior permission from RTA to enter another state.

Please let me know, so that we can plan the trip accordingly.

Cheers!
saleem_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 13:36   #17
Team-BHP Support

1) No, though you can always stop and register at the RTA post at the border (totally over doing). Instead carry petrol bills and toll bills which will show you are visiting.

2) Nope if its a temperory visit.

3) Yes only commercial vehicles including taxi cars.

4) No always keep your documents upto date and in hand, also carry the toll receipts and fuel bills enroute to prove that you are a recent visitor.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 13:39   #18
BHPian

Saleem: First of all let me wish you a happy journey and a safe drive. Now, regarding your queries please check the answer give in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Hi friends ,

We are planning a trip to Solapur, Maharashtra, from Hyderabad, in the last week of December. The primary purpose is to attend a wedding ceremony.

We are planning to take our car, obviously with all the required documents. Apart from that I have some queries which are mentioned below:

1) Can we cross over to Maharashtra with a AP registered car? Is prior permission required from RTA or any other authority for crossing over to a different state?

Yes you can and no prior permission is required.

No you do not have to except for a few Tolls that you would have to pay enroute.

3) I have seen some cars, which have "All India Permit". Is this only applicable for taxis or cabs, or can even be taken for non-commercial/personal cars?

No cannot and need not be taken for Private Cars

4) Lastly, will the traffic police still try to levy some extra charges in case there is no official prior permission from RTA to enter another state.

The Cops at the Sholapur byepass would definitely stop an AP registered vehicle when they see one. they are known to harass for a fine/bribe. They would quote the silliest reasons. For eg., I was asked to pay a fine for not having the PUC (pollution under control certificate) and my insurance copy. You could avoid this by carrying all the documents (search elsewhere in the forum there is a dedicated thread on this).

Cheers!
heres wishing you all the best again.

Last edited by suren181 : 18th November 2008 at 13:40.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 13:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry, out-of-state private vehicles are not harassed in MH. Please carry all your documents. Wear seat belts in front seats. Don't talk on mobile. Avoid having dark sun film. Don't drink and drive.

Quote:
Hi friends ,

Cheers!
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 13:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

@suren181: Not carrying PUC and Insurance is an offence, its not silly in anyway. I am surprised they didnt give you a hefty fine.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 16:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends ,

Cheers!
3 weeks back i did a hyd-mum-hyd in my car( ap registered) , while on the sholapur by pass i was anticipating some traffic cop ( mamu/pandu) to stop me seeing my ap number ,luckily both ways there were none ( lucky me) ,though i have heard lot of stories of they being the harrasement types ,but i personally feel as long as you carry all your papers you shld be fine.
Rajesh Rawal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 17:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
@suren181: Not carrying PUC and Insurance is an offence, its not silly in anyway. I am surprised they didnt give you a hefty fine.
Heck you are right about that. The fine levied was Rs.1,300/- Was that hefty enough? Or should I have paid more?

Sorry about the tone in that sentence. but it was directed at myself for having forgotten to carry them and definitely not at Spitfire.

Last edited by suren181 : 18th November 2008 at 17:33.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 18:51   #23
BHPian

I have done Goa - Hyd - Goa last month via sholapur, lucky didnt encounter any cops on both ways on sholapur bypass.
Was stopped at boder checkpost while entering maharashtra while returning from goa, was carrying all my documents in original so no problem but lastly they asked for PUC, I said I dont have one as it is not required as my car is new(less than 6 months), they said ok
IndianNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 22:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

For the law relating to PUC, please see Department of Road Transport & Highways - rules 115 to 116.

As to the law relating to white board "taxis" - there are special rules relating to vehicles (and their drivers) to be used for "hire or reward". The rates of tax too differ. Hence, the insistence on not using a private registered vehicle as a taxi. There is NO requirement that that you cannot your use your friends' vehcile; or that you need an authorisation letter from the friend / relative if he is on on the vehicle. (What if the "friend" is the driver himself? In fact, I have actually used such a vehicle as a taxi). And the guy was a relative to boot.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 00:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
I have done Goa - Hyd - Goa last month via sholapur, lucky didnt encounter any cops on both ways on sholapur bypass.
Was stopped at boder checkpost while entering maharashtra while returning from goa, was carrying all my documents in original so no problem but lastly they asked for PUC, I said I dont have one as it is not required as my car is new(less than 6 months), they said ok
Raj is on Tow. Who know we may need to have a Passport In future to enter into MH.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 11:47   #26
BHPian

Default I feel confident now!

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

I now feel more confident about doing this trip with the required vehicle documents in hand and also the toll receipts, fuel bills, which would definitely help me prove that I'm only on a visit.

Suren181, thanks for your wishes.
saleem_k is offline   Reply With Quote