Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 8th October 2007, 11:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Horrible crash! dont know what would be the fate of any car crashing at these kinda speeds?

Best safety feature is to be a responsible driver!

May their souls rest in peace...
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 11:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Its good that the Swift hit a pole and not some innocent bystander or other vehicles on the road. You reap what you sow.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 11:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
My impression also is that the Swift is nowhere near as maneuverable as my Santro, based on my Pune-Mumbai drives. The Swift should not be given to youngsters as it is apparently more difficult to control at high speed. They should start with cars like Santro or Alto, which are much easier cars to drive.
Somehow,I do not agree with this statement.I have driven Santro and I am driving my SWIFT-VXI since more than last two years.It is a very balanced car and handling is also great.The problem seems to be something else in this case.We should not forget death of Lady Diana who was in her Merc.IMO,safe driving and speed limit is better option as no car in the world is capable of protecting anyone 100% at high speed accidents.
raja748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 11:56   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

very sad end to two young lives. perhaps no body will ever know why the accident happened unless a thorough investigation takes place. no point in blaming the driver without knowing the actual scenerio as the swift is quite happy doing 140s and 150s. maybe this guy was a good driver but something unavoidable happened, thats why it is called accident. IMO if a swift could not handle it i doubt if any other hatchback could. Only the Palio could have fared better but not sure if it could have saved the lives. may their souls rest in peace.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 12:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Incidentally, the accident happened at 230 am when the young boys were driving to have dinner!!!! No road is so good that you should drive through city roads at 130-140 kmph, definitely not in a Swift.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 12:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Very sad incident. Now stop saying its the fault of Swift.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 12:06   #22

The spot where the accident took place is hardly 2 mins walking distance from my home which I regularly take to commute for my office. From what the people said, the guys in swift were racing with their pals in an Indigo when suddenly the swift driver lost control, kissed the divider and then crashed into the pole. The spot is infamous for many accidents. I had seen bikers skidding, auto's front tyre coming out and crashing, people getting crushed under the wheels of buses etc. God knows if there is any presence of a spirits/ghosts . Another spot very vulnerable to accidents is the Aarey flyover while going towards Andheri from Goregaon. Lots of accidents happen on this flyover too.

May the souls of the departed rest in peace.
tatyavinchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 12:10   #23
BHPian

Get to the root of all such problems - and it is this thirst for speed, thrills, and BHP that's the malaise. Until that is addressed and maturity sets in, we shall continue seeing such tragedies every other day.
skandyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 12:16   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Incidentally, the accident happened at 230 am when the young boys were driving to have dinner!!!! No road is so good that you should drive through city roads at 130-140 kmph, definitely not in a Swift.
i thought it was an expressway.
Old 8th October 2007, 12:36   #25
BHPian

swift is quiet stable at those speeds .140 isnt exactly pushing the limits on the car. human error is the only reason logical . or a tyre burst or something.
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 12:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
i thought it was an expressway.
It was on the Western Expressway that runs from Bandra to Ghodbunder via Airport, Andheri, Goregaon, Borivli, inside the city - one of the most congested corridors in the city. Definitely not a road where you can do 120 kmph safely, even in the middle of the night, especially since there is a lot of flyover construction and such activities underway.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 12:40   #27
Team-BHP Support

I don't think the the driver was drunk. It's just a case of over excitement, over confidence and a lack of willingness to learn from past incidents.
This incident will only give a boost to our police force's anti-rash driving drive.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 12:43   #28
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja748 View Post
Somehow,I do not agree with this statement.I have driven Santro and I am driving my SWIFT-VXI since more than last two years.It is a very balanced car and handling is also great.The problem seems to be something else in this case.We should not forget death of Lady Diana who was in her Merc.IMO,safe driving and speed limit is better option as no car in the world is capable of protecting anyone 100% at high speed accidents.
The Swift is a deceptively wide car and it is heavy as well. I doubt if can be thrown around as a small car like Santro, Zen or Alto can. The Swift seems to have a tendency to oversteer if it is not adequately tyred or if it is pushed too hard. That would make it very difficult to control for a 20 year-old. Of course if the driver is mature (which you apparently are) he can recognize the strengths and limitations of a car and drive safely.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 12:47   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
The Swift is a deceptively wide car and it is heavy as well. I doubt if can be thrown around as a small car like Santro, Zen or Alto can. The Swift seems to have a tendency to oversteer if it is not adequately tyred or if it is pushed too hard. That would make it very difficult to control for a 20 year-old. Of course if the driver is mature (which you apparently are) he can recognize the strengths and limitations of a car and drive safely.
Swift is an extremely good handler, PERIOD. car comparisons IMO should be done in others threads. this is not the right thread to start any argument about the capabilities of different cars.
Old 8th October 2007, 12:57   #30
BHPian

To add my two cents,

In my opinion, one should drive at a speed where they can control the car given unforeseen circumstances, like a dog, cyclist, pot hole, blind turns or any such thing appears, it's no use blaming someone else when the accident could have been averted if the speed was reasonable. On highways, I think this would translate to 90-100 with a safe distance to the next vehicle in front and in city maybe ~60, one can get away with higher speeds but sooner or later they will come across a situation where the risk will far outweigh the time saved or the thrill.
Shankyz is online now   Reply With Quote