Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2008, 04:36   #226
BHPian
 
Torqueguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 277
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Somehow I gathered that a certain Cedia showed its butt to a Scorpio on a straight run and so did some other Sedans too and thus started the bashing. I liken this to a Mini beating a H1 by a mile and then gloating that a 6 Ltr behemoth was beaten hollow on a straight run.

Does the H1 or a Scorpio turn around and say to a Mini or a Cedia that how about doing this in the dust my way?
Hi gd,
Could you please elaborate your point? I really didn't understand what you wanted to put across
Torqueguru is offline  
Old 6th February 2008, 08:27   #227
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
Hi gd,
Could you please elaborate your point? I really didn't understand what you wanted to put across
I think what he means is that behemoth owners are not speed freaks and did not buy those vehicles for drags on highways. They have no issues with sedans showing them butt on tarmac.
They KNOW where THEY will kick butt!
anupmathur is offline  
Old 6th February 2008, 09:08   #228
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I think what he means is that behemoth owners are not speed freaks and did not buy those vehicles for drags on highways. They have no issues with sedans showing them butt on tarmac.
They KNOW where THEY will kick butt!
Very well said Anup & that's the way it should be. But, unfortunately, quite a bit of this thread refers to cases where certain drivers of these behemoths scream down the city streets like they're in mid-size sedans, intimidating , nay, running over, anyone & everything in their path.

GD, at your creative best late in the evening huh, H1 & what not

Disclaimer: Please refer to phrase "certain drivers" in above post, I'm not referring to all & sundry as I do know quite a few TBhp mates who are very decent drivers & own Scorpios

Last edited by suman : 6th February 2008 at 09:15.
suman is offline  
Old 6th February 2008, 09:24   #229
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Pj

Why do people buy Scorpios?

Because, nothing else will do

Fact of the matter is, the Scorpio has a very good engine, so people just push it thinking it has the chassis to match all that power with good handling.
BUSA is offline  
Old 6th February 2008, 09:46   #230
Senior - BHPian
 
RajaTaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tenkasi, TN
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 324 Times
Default

H1 = Scorpio...!!!!
Goodness G..!! What a comparison...!!! I guess he must come and drive a Scorpio on a straight run and on dust and see what the vehcile is worth.

Scorpios is just a wanna-be Pajero / Montero / CR-V.
RajaTaurus is online now  
Old 6th February 2008, 13:20   #231
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Scorpios is just a wanna-be Pajero / Montero / CR-V.
You're so right. It's that extra 8 lakh rupees that I didn't have which kept me at wannabe status!!
anupmathur is offline  
Old 6th February 2008, 15:39   #232
BHPian
 
Torqueguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 277
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I think what he means is that behemoth owners are not speed freaks and did not buy those vehicles for drags on highways. They have no issues with sedans showing them butt on tarmac.
They KNOW where THEY will kick butt!
Ok, i get it now!!!! But i was referring to "Handling", and that by no means can felt on straight drags! On curvy roads... is where Scorpios really suck!!!!! And again..our good boy cedia is coming into the picture( and now we know that vehicle handles right!)..aaah now this thread is not about cedias anyways!
Torqueguru is offline  
Old 6th February 2008, 16:19   #233
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 386
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Scorpio -the most hated car in TBHP?,maximum brickbats are always reserved for this baby
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline  
Old 6th February 2008, 16:42   #234
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,716
Thanked: 425 Times
Default

Its not just Scorpio's but all MUV's and SUV's are driven rashly. Qualis, Sumo, Tavera are also driven rashly. I think the main reason this happens is because drivers are sitting high up with a nice view of everything in front of them. This makes them feel 'powerful' and 'in control.'I also think that because a driver driving these vehicles can see all edges of the bonnet, he thinks he is in complete command and can bulldoze his way through everything.
amit is offline  
Old 6th February 2008, 16:44   #235
BHPian
 
prabhuav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 670
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

I am tempted to say sour grapes but that might get me death threats.


Most Scorpios that drive in a city go completely nuts on the highway. The peppy (for an SUV) engine and the size does give you a larger than life feeling. Combine this with aggressive attitude and you have a combination akin to the the jehaadi with the AK-47.

Most owners buy the Scorpio for the peppy engine, short wheelbase and looks/image. A lot of people who are looking for this are also short on the fuse, with massive egos. The tata sumo in the nineties kinda fit this bill and had a lot of similar stories floating.

My tuppence on the subject, being a reluctant scorpio owner myself. Now the jeep/truck has grown on me, particularly after a very comfortable Bangalore-Pune trip.

Cheers
Vijay
prabhuav is offline  
Old 6th February 2008, 20:43   #236
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Its not just Scorpio's but all MUV's and SUV's are driven rashly. Qualis, Sumo, Tavera are also driven rashly. I think the main reason this happens is because drivers are sitting high up with a nice view of everything in front of them. This makes them feel 'powerful' and 'in control.'I also think that because a driver driving these vehicles can see all edges of the bonnet, he thinks he is in complete command and can bulldoze his way through everything.
I think this is spot on.
I'd also like to add that the engine being so responsive makes it easier to misuse the vehicle.

Another scorpio anecdote.
this evening, in the road connecting MG road and panampilly nagar(cochin guys know how narrow this road is), at the railway gate, a couple of bikers are nosing their way through traffic, and generally making a nuisance of themselves. all other vehicles coming from the opposite side stop to let them pass to avoid jamming the road completely. they get bolder with each passing second and overtake me(I'm standing still in the verna, in bumper to bumper traffic).

Just as they pass me, who do they meet,coming from the opposite side?
A huge black scorpio with with a pretty aggressive driver.
there is no space for the scorpio to go,as the bikes are blocking his path.there is no space for the bikes to go because i wont give up my space.

guess what the scorpio does? he yells at them to get out of his way. they yell back. the scorpio driver grins, downshifts to 1st, then uses his bull bars to ram them back. Luckily for me, traffic had begun to move on my side, and I escaped before the bikers fell down where the verna was standing. the 2nd biker gets out of the way faster than you can say "pronto". I could actually see the panic in his actions as he scrambled to take the place I had just vacated.

3 cheers for rash scorpios.

hip hip hoooray! hip hip hooray! hip hip....

now tell me, have seen any other cars being driven like this?
like I said before, I enjoy seeing others suffer at the hands of scorpios if they deserve it.And i enjoy hanging around with scorpios on the highways, they provide my cars with the muscle that they lack.
rippergeo is offline  
Old 6th February 2008, 20:51   #237
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,557
Thanked: 440 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Scorpio -the most hated car in TBHP?,maximum brickbats are always reserved for this baby
the only reason i can think of is that there aren't any vociferous, argumentative, eloquent Scorpio owners in this forum.
esteem_lover is offline  
Old 6th February 2008, 21:04   #238
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,160
Thanked: 2,279 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
the only reason i can think of is that there aren't any vociferous, argumentative, eloquent Scorpio owners in this forum.
Scorpio owners dont need a forum to know/spread the competence of their vehicles.
1100D is offline  
Old 6th February 2008, 21:04   #239
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

They are more like, "Let Actions Speak"
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
the only reason i can think of is that there aren't any vociferous, argumentative, eloquent Scorpio owners in this forum.
diabloo is offline  
Old 6th February 2008, 21:10   #240
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
the only reason i can think of is that there aren't any vociferous, argumentative, eloquent Scorpio owners in this forum.
Or the other way round, there are some very vocal members who dislike Scoprio . When I joined this forum last year, I got the perception that members of this forum dislike Scorpio. When I challenged this perception of mine, I found that there are a few members who don't like Scorpio but they are very vocal about it and that creates the perception that team-bhp in general is sorta anti-scoprio.
hondadude is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US orders 45,000 Scorpios for the first year! directinjection The International Automotive Scene 93 8th June 2012 20:14
pics of modified scorpios. zenopio Modifications & Accessories 34 24th February 2008 18:34
Information on used Scorpios? kailashnj SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 7 20th June 2007 04:03
First Trip to Pondi- Contee Vs Scorpios c10 Street Experiences 12 3rd May 2005 11:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks