Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 12th October 2007, 21:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Good lord!! May his soul rest in peace.
Another case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time.Although it was careless of the biker to have been on the left side while overtaking, the guy opening the car door ought to have been more careful.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 21:46   #17
BHPian

Default Intentional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hormaz View Post
Yes himanshugoswami, the guy opened the rear RHS door, without looking for traffic, and the biker was overtaking from left of the bus.
Dude, you said there were 3 guys standing outside the car, and one guy (among these?) opened the door of the car? If someone opened the door of the car from outside, then I think 9 out of 10 times the person would check if any vehicle is coming. Especially on that road as it is a major road. (on the other hand, if someone opens from inside then 9/10 times he *doesnt* check) Also the biker would have seen 3 guys standing well into the middle of the road(assuming the car was parked on the left and the right door of the car was opened) and should have been careful.

It looks like those car guys tried to scare the biker by opening the door suddenly, as he was racing and it was a prank that went horribly wrong. Many of these rich brats think they own the roads and try to take law into their hands by swerving into other speeding vehicles. I've seen many such incidents. What do you say?
herculesksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 22:49   #18
BHPian

Really a sad accident may his soul rest in peace.

Even though the car guy opened the door carelessly, anytime overtaking from left side is dangerous and i think illegal, so the biker should have been much careful about it.
jayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 01:50   #19
BHPian

May biker guy's soul rest in peace.

But as someone pointed out, leaving their life in some elses hand is single biggest mistake young bike riders make. One must realize that helmet will protect only head and only to certain extent.
nispatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 02:25   #20
BHPian

Another sad accident!! may his soul RIP..
I agree with Hercules,, I guess the door must have been opened by one of those guys from inside the car, if he would have opened the door from outside, the biker could have seen that from distance and could have avoided the incidence by reacting to it...

I feel he was at fault when he was speeding while taking over from left,, someone said that you cant overtake BMTC, Truckers, Autos or anyone who's going at his own pace on that fast lane,, thats very much true.. I've myself experianced that -- it doesnt matter how much hard you honk, flash lamps,, that guy is not going to let you overtake from right, rather he would be pissed and would show you the way to the left side, force you to overtake from left,,, this is what happens on roads - most of the times. I would like to confess that I have been overtaking from left side on 20-30% of the times when I'm on bike. However, I have that fear and I'm very much alert when I do this.. I'm well disciplined while I ride/drive thru four lane ring road,, but as soon as we enter those narrow road,, you cant follow all the rules, the other traffic would force you to break those rules...

I now ride a bullet and I make sure most of the times I follow all the rules while riding.. I dont jump the signals when people (waiting behiend me) honk at me on a relatively eased out signal (I'm always ready to have a couple of words with those honking morons before I leave that signal..) I'm satisfied that I dont seem to be in hurry compared to other bikers in traffic, at singnals or while overtaking - there are two reasons,, one is I ride a 183KG bike that doesnt allow you to do those stunts that a plastic bike can do and I take that as an opportunity to ensure I follow all the rules and I realized that I'm not loosing anything by doing so and I feel good about it..

After a very small incident with one of our employees when he opened the RHS door carelessly, our co. has forced all cabs to child lock the RHS doors, I immediately followed that and my RHS rear door is always child locked - I never unlock that as far as I'm driving in Bangalore traffic..

Last edited by Ketan : 13th October 2007 at 02:32.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 03:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Dude, you said there were 3 guys standing outside the car, and one guy (among these?) opened the door of the car? If someone opened the door of the car from outside, then I think 9 out of 10 times the person would check if any vehicle is coming. Especially on that road as it is a major road. (on the other hand, if someone opens from inside then 9/10 times he *doesnt* check) Also the biker would have seen 3 guys standing well into the middle of the road(assuming the car was parked on the left and the right door of the car was opened) and should have been careful.

It looks like those car guys tried to scare the biker by opening the door suddenly, as he was racing and it was a prank that went horribly wrong. Many of these rich brats think they own the roads and try to take law into their hands by swerving into other speeding vehicles. I've seen many such incidents. What do you say?

Well thats what was told to me by my friend, he said that the guy was standing outside, maybe the car guy did not check the traffic coming before opening the door,

He(my friend) said all happened in a jiffy, so may be none of them( the guy opening the door and the biker) had time to react to the situation.

All in all a sad case.

Don't think anyone would do such a terrible and dangerous thing of scaring someone by putting others life in jeopardy
hormaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 03:06   #22
BHPian

By the way encountered another accident of a biker near Bimal auto, though it was not a major one, didn't get a chance to see anything as was on a move, looked like the biker was injured.

Whats going on with the biker guys.
hormaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 09:51   #23
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really sad event. May the biker RIP, whatever his reasons for racing.
Should there be reasons for racing? Even one person's life-and-death need is not reason enough for another to risk loss of his life as well, and become a dangerous nuisance to other road users whilst doing that.

Quote:
But I have seen car owners/passengers blindly opening the right side doors blindly without looking if anyone is approaching. As a practice I always check if anyone is coming before opening the driver door.
and do so likewise, as a car occupant.

However as a motorist, it is my duty to expect every parked car to throw open its door. I must control my speed so that I can stop my vehicle safely if that car's door was to open suddenly.

It's entirely my fault if an accident were to happen because I carelessly attempted to zip past, too close to some parked car's closed door.

Similarly if a football were to suddenly bounce into my path, it is my duty to expect a child to come chasing after it. That's called, "Reading the Road!" It's taught in developed countries.

Quote:
But as they say, when your time has come, your time has come!
And our Time will be invited sooner by our own stupidity and carelessness lack of road-sense.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 10:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sad to know what happened. Who ever is at fault the biker is no more and nothing can be done to bring him back, may his soul rest in peace.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 20:02   #25
BHPian

Sad indeed. but I have noticed quite a few bikers just zig zagging (sudden left, right, cutting in, etc..) in traffic at high speed in peak traffic - they just appear so sure & take things for granted. hope good sense prevails..
nssrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 07:19   #26
Team-BHP Support

Default Good Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I immediately followed that and my RHS rear door is always child locked - I never unlock that as far as I'm driving in Bangalore traffic..
thanks for the advice. I am doing this rightaway.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 08:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

There is a rule that I always follow when I see a car parked on any road. I look in to try and make sure that there is no one in it. If there is somebody in the car then I always make enough space between the car and myself to ensure that even if he/she opens the door, we both will be safe. This has happened to me umpteen number of times.

Biker = RIP
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 08:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssrini View Post
Sad indeed. but I have noticed quite a few bikers just zig zagging (sudden left, right, cutting in, etc..) in traffic at high speed in peak traffic - they just appear so sure & take things for granted. hope good sense prevails..
True, unfortunate loss.

Another incident - i was driving in Bangalore with a clear strech of road ahead, doing maybe about 40 kmph. My wife and kids were also in the car. Two bikers overtook me from left side with great acceleration. When they were about 10m ahead of me, their bikes touched each other. One of them fell directly in front of me. Also, he was not wearing helmet

I had to brake hard and the car stopped about 1 ft from the fallen biker. Thank GOD nobody was hurt - either in the car or outside. Also, thank GOD there was no crazy BMTC bus or auto behind me.

Folks, i have been driving a car for about 5 years now, but this incident scared the wits out of me.

It is rather sad that people buy more and more powerful vehicles, without having the patience to understand and drive safely.
sreenidhibr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 13:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

What was so urgent for the guy to overtake the bus in such a dangerous maneuver, that he had to lose his life. For all riders going fast on city roads and breaking the signal when another 5 secs are left think before you act. How much difference would the 5 secs make? Or how early could that guy have reached his destination by overtaking that bus?

Commonsense should prevail.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 14:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Commonsense should prevail.
That line just about describes the whole incident.. RIP.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote