Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 22nd October 2007, 09:28   #1
BHPian

Default Noob driver(ess) end up 'wall'ing a scooter

Witnessed a pathetic incident yesterday. I had just a turn out of my house and was about to take another turn to join the main road when there was blue-ish matiz parked at the turn, coming from the opposite side. there was a red wagon R in front of me. The male co-driver was explaining something to the female driver, so I figured she was just learning.

After waiting a few minutes the wagon R guy got impatient and took the turn with a little bit of off-roading. I decided not to tense the learner and was waiting patiently for her to negotiate the turn. Of course there was a speed breaker just after the turn, which is why I guess she stalled the car. There was an Alto coming far behind me and I was waiting for this matiz to move, else I would have to off road my 800 so as to not block the alto behind me. Then this elderly couple on a dull grey-green scooter comes up behind the matiz and tries to pass from the left side of the matiz where there was some space.

Now, the road was a T-intersection. I was taking a right and the matiz was taking a left at that intersection. To my right there was a tall concrete wall which bordered an empty site.

Suddenly, as the scooter had half passed the matiz, she stepped on the gas. Her steering was turned completely to the left and it was likely that she didnt realize where the brake was. The car lept forward and to the left taking along with it the scooter with the elderly couple and smashed right into the concrete wall with the engine still revving hard. The front left tyre went into the ditch and the co-passenger was obviously stuck with no means of getting out. I do hope the two were wearing their seat belts. Luckily the lady at the back of the scooter slipped off safely while the gent went into the ditch with the scooter.

No one was injured but I am sure the car and the bike would have taken some good damage. Dont know what happened there later on. There was no scene created and no one was injured, so we left the place. Surprisingly, the car didnt have an 'L' board too. Wife was scared out of her wits thinking what would have happened if the car was turned towards the right and had driven into us instead of the wall. All's well that ends well - at least for my family and my car.
herculesksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to know you and your family are safe dude! And goo thing u didnt pressurize the learner by honking repeteadly or trying desperately to pass! who knows what might have happened then!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:57   #3
BHPian

Good to know that no one was badly injured.

I personally think that trainee drivers should only be let loose on the roads only during off-peak hours. Why cant they learn how to drive during weekends when the traffic load on our roads is lesser? We should limit their driving hours to 6-8 a.m and 11 a.m to 4 p.m only. No training cars should be allowed to clog up the roads during peak hours.
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
I personally think that trainee drivers should only be let loose on the roads only during off-peak hours. Why cant they learn how to drive during weekends when the traffic load on our roads is lesser? We should limit their driving hours to 6-8 a.m and 11 a.m to 4 p.m only. No training cars should be allowed to clog up the roads during peak hours.

6-8 am???
Make it an hour earlier when it comes to Mumbai.

11am-4pm???
they will be swept with the traffic even if one does not want to learn. so forget this hour.
gbpscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

the most irratating part is that other drivers have no consideration for the learners. they get kicks by driving right next to the L board, or even worse, going behind and constantly honking.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think we should all follow this discipline and not panic the learning driver by pushing too close and honking.

Good to know you are already disciplined, ksp

But they should have had a "L" sign for others to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
I decided not to tense the learner and was waiting patiently for her to negotiate the turn. Of course there was a speed breaker just after the turn, which is why I guess she stalled the car.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:38   #7
BHPian

What I observed in case of L board drivers on ITPL Road is that people keep distance from them and do a "mild" honk from a distance to let the L know that a vehicle is gonna pass now and you keep your vehicle under control without panic, and theres some due respect showm by cab drivers atleast in the morning hours
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 00:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Poor thing! Thats gotta be a scary start for the girl behind the wheel.
Thank God that no one was injured. The scene could have turned violent,if someone were to be injured or personal property damaged.

I've seen this so many times in B'lore,and have always wondered why people can't have some consideration for the learner. Everyone starts that way,and its only right that the person be given some thought. Its the autodrivers that always end up right behind a driving school car,and they go on honking,scaring the wits out of the driver.

Useless bunch of people
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 02:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Stupid girl. Why can't she just go to a driving school, like everyone else? An experienced driving instructor, with control of an additional set of pedals, would have gone a long way in avoiding this.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 03:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Stupid girl. Why can't she just go to a driving school, like everyone else? An experienced driving instructor, with control of an additional set of pedals, would have gone a long way in avoiding this.
I second that. Being a learner is not a qualification to do something stupid on road. A learner should make sure he/she is noticed, otherwise it is anyone's guess as to what he/she could do.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote