Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 1st November 2007, 15:19   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
anyone has car from SK or LD. recently saw a PY reg civic. one of its kind i guess
Is PY not a Puducherry/Pondicherry car (pardon my spelling)? Why is that so unusual?

When I used to stay in Chennai there were a lot of people who would source their cars from Pondicherry if they could as it was much cheaper there. Have things changed?
thefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 15:33   #17
BHPian

Yep , the board does look perfect, vnabhi must be right
surajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 15:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

looks clearly from the UT Andaman Nikobar but its an old number transferred onto a new car

seems like there they allow the number transfer yet
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 17:49   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
. recently saw a PY reg civic. one of its kind i guess
No ways man ... most of the Team JK rally cars/gypsy's had the PY series . It maybe one of a kind according to you as you must not have seen to many of them .
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 17:52   #20
BHPian

Thumbs up Thinking technically...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
That is not a damaged plate - its too geometrically perfect. AN is actually an Andaman Nicobar registration. Perhaps the isles have a simplified numbering system compared to the mainland due to the significantly lesser people (cars) there.
You are too correct technically. I should be going with your answer...!!!
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 17:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

PY is DEFINITELY Pondy.
And cars cost about 5-10% cheaper there.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

This may be OT, but I saw a Honda Dio in Mysore having its registration number starting with 'UK'. Any idea about where it could be from?
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
PY is DEFINITELY Pondy.
And cars cost about 5-10% cheaper there.
yes they do cost lesser by 5-10% there since pondycherry is a union territory, i think its just one of those kind of susidy alloted just as the drinks cost lesser by 50% in GOA

@ khaadu

dude py is definately pondycherry you will definaltely find a lot of cars with registration series in chennai and tamil nadu!, as the pondycherry is very near to chennai and is in T.N.!

Last edited by rider60 : 2nd November 2007 at 03:48.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:40   #24
BANNED

yea that is Andaman Nicobar.
it is an older registration that is y there is no 01 02 etc
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

OT:but must say the cars sold in these places costing lesser have poorer build in terms of interiors and exteriors no info on the engine quality, but i was told the engine and the mechanicals/eletricals of the car are same!(i have seen a few cars from pondycherry when i was in my early teens, often have noticed cheap plastics and seem to have lower build quality, i have checked this like 7-8 years ago have no idea about the cars there now as we moved to hyderabad after that!). this was done inorder to reduce the costs to the buyers there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYRUS43 View Post
yea that is Andaman Nicobar.
it is an older registration that is y there is no 01 02 etc

dude then how come then the such old number plate end up on a brand new santro xing? makes me wonder. or is it just the color its suppose to be, looks old to me though!

Last edited by Zappo : 5th November 2007 at 01:40. Reason: Merged. Post at one go and do not break your posts unnecessarily.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
dude then how come then the such old number plate end up on a brand new santro xing? makes me wonder. or is it just the color its suppose to be, looks old to me though!
About 6 months or so back, there has been a modification in numbering in Kerala. Previously each District was having a unique number serias (plus two mador districts having one additional number series), KL 17 being the last. Now it got changed to each RTO having a unique number series.

It is quite possible that similar change happend in Andaman and Nicobar recently, from AN series to AN 01 and AN 02.

Also, do not take Wikipedia as Bibile, they could be wrong too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
but I saw a Honda Dio in Mysore having its registration number starting with 'UK'. Any idea about where it could be from?
UK- UttaraKhand. Previously known as Uttaranchal and got changed to Uttarakhand in Jan 2007. Don't ask me why
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT:but must say the cars sold in these places costing lesser have poorer build in terms of interiors and exteriors no info on the engine quality, but i was told the engine and the mechanicals/eletricals of the car are same!(i have seen a few cars from pondycherry when i was in my early teens, often have noticed cheap plastics and seem to have lower build quality, i have checked this like 7-8 years ago have no idea about the cars there now as we moved to hyderabad after that!). this was done inorder to reduce the costs to the buyers there!
I dont think what u are saying is correct.
There wouldn't be much difference in Ex- showroom prices..Its the taxes which bring about the difference in total cost of the vehicle..
Pondicherry has less tax(%) in comparison to Chennai.

No manufacturer will have a separate production line for the lower quality cars to be sold in PY etc..
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Is this confirmed or is this speculation?
Partly true, partly based on speculation
When I visited Port Blair, all vehicles had AN as the prefix. But that was 10 years back, and things might have changed by now
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:23   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Highly unlikely. The difference in prices are just because of the tax. OT: but it would be like saying that we get cheaper quality booze in Goa due to the lower prices.
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
This may be OT, but I saw a Honda Dio in Mysore having its registration number starting with 'UK'. Any idea about where it could be from?
UK might stand for Uttarkhand.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote