Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 5th November 2007, 12:03   #1
BHPian

Default Does Power really matter or Experience?

Mods Please move this thread to More appropriate section, if required, This section looked to be most appropriate to me.

Last Friday i was coming back from Gwuahati to Shillong (Around 105 KMS) On my Bike Pulsar 150 UG III, Being night I was riding quite sedately. Suddenly This chap shows up in His Pulsar 220 and started to toy with me. He would overtake me, then again suddenly slow down, let me pass by, and again whoosh past me, like he was just mocking me with his Bigger machine. Though I restrained myself for some time ( read for aroung 30 KMs) ultimately my patience ran out and started racing him. I know, the way I rode was just suicidal, and that should be never done, but Vitamin A got the better of me. We raced for around last 45 kms to shillong, and It was me your Humble freind who reached Shillong first. I know on a track he would have me for breakfast. However as I understand, It was my experience of Driving on these roads, that resulted in my having him for Dinner instead.

So I pondered over this incident for last few days, and decided to ask your opinion, Whether those few extra horses matter so much as we sometimes make it out, or it is a superior blend of Experience, that matters most???

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 5th November 2007 at 12:04.
sumitkalindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 12:20   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi View Post
Mods Please move this thread to More appropriate section, if required, This section looked to be most appropriate to me.

Last Friday i was coming back from Gwuahati to Shillong (Around 105 KMS) On my Bike Pulsar 150 UG III, Being night I was riding quite sedately. Suddenly This chap shows up in His Pulsar 220 and started to toy with me. He would overtake me, then again suddenly slow down, let me pass by, and again whoosh past me, like he was just mocking me with his Bigger machine. Though I restrained myself for some time ( read for aroung 30 KMs) ultimately my patience ran out and started racing him. I know, the way I rode was just suicidal, and that should be never done, but Vitamin A got the better of me. We raced for around last 45 kms to shillong, and It was me your Humble freind who reached Shillong first. I know on a track he would have me for breakfast. However as I understand, It was my experience of Driving on these roads, that resulted in my having him for Dinner instead.

So I pondered over this incident for last few days, and decided to ask your opinion, Whether those few extra horses matter so much as we sometimes make it out, or it is a superior blend of Experience, that matters most???

Wow!!!

Just imagine you with a Pulsar 220 on the same stretch.

Or imagine you in the himalayas (unknown place) on a TVS50.

I guess it is the Power + Experience that really matters. One is not a substitute for other.
GSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 12:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

It's definately experience that made the diff here. Like they say, "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link". U can have the best machine but unless you know where you're goin and whats coming up ahead, you're just not gonna be able to push your vehicle.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 12:36   #4
BHPian

What matters most is Right Attitude + Right Power
eclectix 1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 13:08   #5
BHPian

Boss, no jerk is worth risking your life..... The GS Road is hardly the best place for racing. Take care and drive safe.

And to answer your question, for me the driver is the key. A good driver can get the best out of any vehicle given.
DriverR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 16:17   #6
BHPian

^^ Agree with you driver, but again you also being a Enthusiast, can understand what happens in that situation. Well it brings out the devil in you. Ahhh, I would again have to start my habit of clicking pictures of accidents and make them my desktop background, to always remind me what can happen to even best of drivers.
sumitkalindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 16:27   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Not worth taking any panga's with bird brains like this. Wonder why they cant pick someone their own size?

Whatever it may be, the machine, the power etc, the driver is possibly the key as he may have the skill and experience to control the power of the machine. Even if this skill is present its not worth risking innocent lives on the road.

I have faced this issue several times where bikers as well as some guys in cars like RS and accords were coaxing me for a race. I guess my loud exhaust is too tempting for them. But i rarely take it to the streets. Get on to track. Its more fun and thats when real driver skill is put to test.

Best thing to do when both you guys are in a car (separate cars) and its getting on your nerves is to get in front of him and drive realllllllly slow, looking around like a tourist hunting for directions. That always gets the better of them. Helps in traffic mostly.

Last edited by n_aditya : 5th November 2007 at 16:30.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 17:00   #8
BHPian

Absolutely agreed with Aditya. Racing needs to be restricted to tracks. The slow driving bit is a absoulte kicka** strategy. Let them have it!
thefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 17:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi View Post
^^ Agree with you driver, but again you also being a Enthusiast, can understand what happens in that situation. Well it brings out the devil in you. Ahhh, I would again have to start my habit of clicking pictures of accidents and make them my desktop background, to always remind me what can happen to even best of drivers.
I understand what you mean. I have been guilty of many such acts sometime ago before a few grey hair started to pop out here & there.
Yes, agreed it is the driver that makes that little yard that is required to finish first. Damn, thats's true even in a track.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 17:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sumit, even if you have power and driving experience, one more factor, which made you reach first might be the familiarity of the road. the bends and "U"s ahead, the ups and downs, the lone tree around the corner inside of the road shoulders, such stuff, which make you brake suddenly and then push up the throttle at fewer times than the other. May be the other guy was comaparativiely new to the terrain..

All said and done, as you said, its suicidal... Road Rage..!! Pumps your Adrenalin at jet pace...(Me too is too short tempered with regard to Chase-calls...)
Better to arrive safe than never...!!!
Next time some one gives you a chase, call hi for dinner in the beginning of the race and not at the end of it, for a change... buddy...!!!
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 22:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

I guess power & experience go hand in hand. No point having a lot of power,if you don't have any experience.An old buddy of mine used to be challenged ever so often,to race on the steets. He had an RD350,and it sure was fast! Almost every time he was on the road with the bike,some nincompoop would pull up next to him,and strart revving hard. My friend would ignore these guys,and the minute he'd get an open stretch,he'd shoot like a rocket.Used to be hilarious watching the expression on the moron's face,the one who'd 'try' to challenge my buddy.Simple explanation..use power when needed.For all the other times,rely on experience and common sense.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 12:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

While the question was whether it is the man or the machine that gives the edge, it went off on a tangent and discussion started whether it is safe to do so on roads instead of tracks.

Primarily it is the experience and the skill of the rider that decides the issue if the other benchmarks are the same. It doesn't mean that an experienced one drives a tractor and gives a novice at the wheels of a Porsche a run for money.

Now having said that, trying to race on the roads puts the lives of fellow travellers as well as that of self at grave danger and is not worth it.

Does one really have to prove it? And if so, then apart from personal gratification how does it matter anyway?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 22:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Its almost 99% for the 'kick' of it.. Gives most people a high,to be able to use power and show it off.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 23:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

I would say that anyone can have the hardware (read car/bike) but to use the machine to its potential, the right software is very very important. So a good driver can make a mediocre machine look good while a bad driver can make even the finest machine in the world looking like a dud.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 04:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Maybe he did not know how to use the full potential of his machine. So always compare similar competence, similar experience level, which one is going to lead?
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote