Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2007, 23:10   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well i actualy have found the cops in TN to be a lot better than the once in bangalore. In bangalore i know of them taking action only in case of medical emergency.
My friend was taking his mom to the hospital from coorg as she had a heart ailment. When he reached bangalore he jumped a signal and was stopped by cops. When they saw why he had done it they escorted his car from Mysore road till Narayana hrudayalaya. They got all the signals cleared for him and also used to wire the cops to clear the roads up for him.
Hey, that is great. did they actually sit inside the car & call up the other cops to let them know ?? This sounds too good to be true, i do hope your friend's mom is alright & kicking. I am glad that this thread has brought out quite a few good incidents with the traffic cops. They are after all human & deserve their share in the limelight.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 11:43   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
maddy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Coorg
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 426 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Well they escorted the car and didnt sit in it...they were leading the way in their vehicle. My friends mom went into coma when she reached the hosp. Things would have been worse if the cops had not done their duty.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 15:50   #48
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 938
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Why are traffic cops / cops the way they are?
Because that's how we treat them. We treat them like ****.

If traffic / law and order was so important to us, why don't we spend money on cops?

Why do we pay peanuts and get less educated / sense-less people to direct our traffic / control law and order?

Why do we have ONE cop in places which needs atleast FOUR??

Why is it that education is NOT a necessity for these jobs? (I see it's not necessary to rule a country!!)

Our cops are hopeless because they themselves don't have any hope. An honest cop (the cop you and i see on the road, not the one sitting in a/c rooms) CANNOT maintain a family with his salary. So he is forced to make use of his opportunities.

IMHO, raise the cops' salaries, get educated / sensible / sensitive guys, make them proud of their jobs. Not an easy task...but why not?
It should work.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 22:02   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post

Our cops are hopeless because they themselves don't have any hope. An honest cop (the cop you and i see on the road, not the one sitting in a/c rooms) CANNOT maintain a family with his salary. So he is forced to make use of his opportunities.

IMHO, raise the cops' salaries, get educated / sensible / sensitive guys, make them proud of their jobs. Not an easy task...but why not?
It should work.

-- Torqy
Very very true torqy, unless the system is raised, we cannot see any improvements in the law & order situations. the cops will continue to be used by the politicians.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 22:11   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Very very true torqy, unless the system is raised, we cannot see any improvements in the law & order situations. the cops will continue to be used by the politicians.
The day cops are contended with their salaries, and not the 'under the table money' that they receive, we'll all get to see better cops on the streets. Improve their pay-scale,and watch an increase in their efficiency.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 16:45   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
madan80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,356
Thanked: 73 Times
Default

a cop becomes one because he /she feels they can make a difference. a lot of us feel cops become cops because they have no where else to go. getting into the force - even at the constable level is quite hard (give take a few politician recommended cases).
There might be a few people who hold grudges against anyone who appears to have more money.

firstly - john - great job. I never did think this would work - but looks like it did. There is also a police control room number for traffic police.

I have had pleasant experiences with cops- and unpleasant ones, but i would rather keep the unpleasant ones out, because they were my fault ()
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 12:01   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
The day cops are contended with their salaries, and not the 'under the table money' that they receive, we'll all get to see better cops on the streets. Improve their pay-scale,and watch an increase in their efficiency.
Very true. A traffic cop braving the heat, dust, rain, noise/air pollution & all the elements for 4-6 hours a day is paid a meagre Rs.6000 a month, this is a terrible truth. It is as if the govt is saying that they can make all they want otherwise.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 12:47   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,204
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default

This is great news! Traffic cops and courtesy normally do not go hand in hand.
BTW, what is the number you can dial from a cell phone in case you want to report something to the cops in A.P, especially when you are on a remote highway?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 13:39   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Here, I dialed 103 which is the traffic emergency number. this number can be dialed from any phone.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 21:22   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Very true. A traffic cop braving the heat, dust, rain, noise/air pollution & all the elements for 4-6 hours a day is paid a meagre Rs.6000 a month, this is a terrible truth. It is as if the govt is saying that they can make all they want otherwise.
There was this article on rediff.com sometime ago. The journalist wrote about the decreasing popularity of the Police forces in the India,and she went onto say that if the base salary of each constable was to be increase by 2-5%, things would reach a whole new level.

1 out of 10-15 cops being honest/helpful really doesn't take us anywhere. I hope things improve in the near future.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 21:27   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

It is my thinking & my feeling that the only way to reduce corruption is better pay or performance related pay.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 21:51   #57
BHPian
 
redeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 275
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

@ironwolf- good one... to good to believe this happening in bangalore.. when a bus rammed my car in the signal , the police only cleared the way for the bus to move since the brakes failed....
redeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 22:03   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye View Post
@ironwolf- good one... to good to believe this happening in bangalore.. when a bus rammed my car in the signal , the police only cleared the way for the bus to move since the brakes failed....

I cannot understand this, if the bus had a brake failure, how was it allowed to carry on ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 22:37   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I cannot understand this, if the bus had a brake failure, how was it allowed to carry on ?
The cops probably let the bus move on..it would go bang elsewhere,so the cops would get to extract some money from the person affected.. and then they'd hop around town filling their pockets up.
God save them all!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 23:11   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
The cops probably let the bus move on..it would go bang elsewhere,so the cops would get to extract some money from the person affected.. and then they'd hop around town filling their pockets up.
God save them all!
In effect, you are saying that they would simply follow that 'no brake' bus around just to look around for the wounded/dead folks, just like the predators in the wild do. Then it is the circle of life, ain't it ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally a pleasant MASS experience (@ Sai Service) swarnava.m Indian Car Dealerships 5 14th December 2011 18:45
A pleasant experience with Punctureonspot-Puncture service:Bangalore binz Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 3 1st June 2009 13:44
Pleasant experience from GM service center at Mumbai bkm Indian Car Dealerships 4 23rd June 2008 12:30
Unusually Pleasant Experience In Rto: Ka-03 eclectix 1st Shifting gears 5 4th May 2008 09:58
Concorde Motors - Mysore Road: Pleasant Experience kdadi Indian Car Dealerships 10 7th June 2007 19:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks