Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 6th December 2007, 15:51   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Being very specific about the incident reported, lets remember that there are good samaritans here in India who pull up their sleeves and start directing traffic on their own without any self-interest whatsoever. I don't think that'll happen in the US. If someone does indeed do that in US, he'll probably be arrested !!
I havent been to the US, but what i believe is that they have cops there to do that, while here the cops care more about an out-of-state registration than issues which require more immediate attention.

Oh yeah, how can i forget to thank the cops who feel that switching off traffic lights and then dancing on the roads is more beneficial to traffic flow than a regulated and systematic system of lights. Ask anyone in Bangalore, and he would vouch for the fact that 'Where there's a cop, there's a traffic jam'.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 16:00   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
'Where there's a cop, there's a traffic jam'.
LOL & I thought this was the case in Pune only
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 16:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I travel from Delhi-Gurgaon every day and the only feeling you get is of frustration, immense fatigue, and hopelessness that no matter when the expressway gets completed, things will get worse. Can you imagine 2-3 kms continuous jams. Leave one jam, travel for 1 km, and enter another. This goes on till you leave all roads even remotely connected to Gurgaon. While in Gurgaon, negotiate through real big and heavy trucks and buses on all sides alongwith some big, cement mixer trucks cutting through traffic.
Lemme write afew things to explain the Delhi-NCR traffic scene.

1. Sometime back a very good friend turned down a lucrative (i am not saying very) offer from a gurgaon based company. His reason - 4 hrs of travel time everyday +fatigue was so not worth it. He lives in in Mayur Vihar and works in Noida.

2. While having a general career discussion and then a friend said something like this ' Whenever i give an interview for a gurgaon based company i negotiate as i would negotiate a pune/bangalore/hyd job offer

3. I PERSONALLY did not take up a job when a company wanted me to shift in Gurgaon in order to work for them! Yes it was not a RULE, but they were very insistent. This was definately not the only reason, infact it was not even the major reason..but yes it mattered!!

4. A neighbourhood friend (girl) told me sometime back how her father advised/insisted she find a job in delhi/noida etc as travel to gurgaon was tiring and hazardous.

Trust me a single trip from any end of delhi to any place in gurgaon at ANY given time(between 9-9) will definately meet you with atleast ONE TRAFFIC JAM! Its ENDEMIC!

I am not saying whose fault it is etc. I am just stating the PATHETIC STATE OF AFFAIRS!

Elito
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 16:23   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hey Elito!!
guess you are having very rough times traveling in NCR traffic,Gurgoan to mention,but dude relax.Its just a matter of time,as soon as the flyover project gets completed the drive would be fun and signal free.

Like guys traveling back from greater noida must be knowing that after 5.30 the expressway ending near amity is jammed,Bottleneck but its just a matter of time,as soon as the Project completes,I can travel within 45 mins to greater noida from south delhi.

BEAR WITH THEM FOR A BETTER TOMMOROW
m4ugr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 16:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
A stupid truck had overturned on almost the very top of the flyover blocking with it almost 3/4 of the road. it was so bad that the entire ring road traffic at peak time was reduced to 1 lane@5kmph at that very point.
I remember what got me pissed was that one of them cuould have walked back and directed the traffic to ALSO take the road beneath the Flyover! It was simply common sense...but they simply did not care!!
OK, and here's one where India was shining (courtesy the workers of NHAI who are managing the Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway construction) -

3rd December 2007, around 7.45 am - I approach the Domestic airport crossing from Dhaula Kuan and take the left to hit the expressway. At the point where the left carriageway goes towards the Mahipalpur crossing & I normally take the main central carriageway, I see a jeep of the NHAI parked across the access path (blocking it) with its lights flashing; the driver had a hailer and he was asking all vehicles approaching from Dhaula Kuan to take the narrow left carriageway as there had been an accident on the Radisson flyover (a good 2 or 3 kms further up) so vehicles should use the service road below the flyover.

I was thankful to him as I saved a whole lot of time by taking the left carriageway that led to the service road below the flyover. Prior to this a whole lot of vehicles had probably ignored their pleas and gone straight on - they went all the way to the flyover & then took a u-turn back (wrong side of the road) and were trying to pile on to the service road elbowing, jostling & scratching each other in the process.

When I passed through the service road & reached the other end, I saw that the cranes had already straightened out a huge trailer that had probably overturned smack across the flyover.

Efficient work I thought!
Quote:
Trust me a single trip from any end of delhi to any place in gurgaon at ANY given time(between 9-9) will definately meet you with atleast ONE TRAFFIC JAM! Its ENDEMIC!

I am not saying whose fault it is etc. I am just stating the PATHETIC STATE OF AFFAIRS!

Elito
You could be right you know but where exactly do you think life is any better? I commute from Gurgaon Phase V to Okhla Phase III - a distance of 27 kms on the odo; mornings I try & leave home by 8.15, it takes me approximately 50 minutes. Evenings takes an hour/hour & ten depending on when I leave Office (I avoid between 6.30 & 7.15 or so, that's the worst time I think). I use the MG Road both ways.

Initially I used to try & beat the clock and make it under 45 minutes but then I saw it was of no use; nowadays I chill in my truck & ramble along - what's an extra 10 or 15 minutes here & there?

Yes, some days its a b***h but not everyday though. And trust me, things are getting better & better - I moved to Gurgaon a year & a half ago and my commute was far worse then. These days, except for the occasional day when it really sucks, its not so bad.

Last edited by suman : 6th December 2007 at 16:35.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 16:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

There are two options:
1. Live in your Motherland as a proud Indian - but face Traffic jams, pollution, Corrupt Govt machinery.
2. Live in foreign country & enjoy a better Quality of life - but live as 2nd grade citizens and face racial discrimnation by the Society and Govt.

I prefer Option 1.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 16:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All we had was two lousy cops standing and waving traffic like they didn't care!
Quote:
Problem is that in times like these,if a bunch of people were to join hands & do their part,things would have been much easier for 1000s of people. Like you said,the cops were doing nothing to fix the problem. My take would have been to rope in a few people & try to regulate traffic
Last year I was merging into the 401 from Toronto Airport. There was seemingly a major accident invovling two cars just a few meters ahead from the merging point in the right most lane. Needless to add, there was a huge line up of cars crawling along to clear the mess. The three lane highway was reduced to a single lane one because the cops had cordoned off two lanes (rightmost and middle) to save any surviving passengers. There were cop cars, ambulances and fire engines on the road. A couple of fire officers were trying to get the passengers out from the mangled remains of the cars. As we reached the accident spot, cars slowed to merge into one lane.

Cars in the middle lane had to merge into the leftmost lane. One car in the leftmost lane stopped, allowed a car in the middle lane to squeeze into the lane. The car behind in the middle lane then stopped allowing the leftmost lane car to drive away. The next car in the leftmost lane stopped, allowing the middle lane waiting car to squeeze in. Then the leftmost lane car drove in. Every car in the middle lane that squeezed in put their hands up waving in thanks to the left laned cars for allowing them to get in. All the drivers alternated like this on their own without any supervision from the cops. Traffic slowed but moved steadily. Cops could concentrate on better things over there (saving lives) and none of the drivers were frustrated because of unruly attitude of fellow drivers.

How many centuries do you guys think it will take for something like this to happen in India? The last time I tried to be decent and allowed a car to squeeze in, another 4 cars blocked me out.

Indians are the most rude race in the world. As shameful as this is, we have to accept facts. We behave like hooligans.

It's said the true test of character is what a person will do when he knows he will not get caught. That day, drivers on the 401 showed their character. I am not going to say anything about India and Indians.

Last edited by amit : 6th December 2007 at 16:41.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 16:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Drove over 100 kms today; spent over 3.5 hrs in my car! (entire day)

A stupid truck had overturned on almost the very top of the flyover blocking with it almost 3/4 of the road. it was so bad that the entire ring road traffic at peak time was reduced to 1 lane@5kmph at that very point.

ALL IN ALL it SUCKED!!

I hate this country at times.... no matter what any goddamn economist says..till we have this kinda things happenign here ..i swear India can never be a developed country!!
Sounds a lot like Dubai, except that we have 6 lanes and one overturned truck can block six lanes of traffic leading to a total gridlock all over the city - every alternate route and every alternate to the alternate route blocked for hours.

I spent an hour and a half to cover the 23 kms from my office to home last night - ON MY BIKE. Cant imagine how long it took those that couldnt use the emergency lane to ride on with their two wheels.

Last edited by Steeroid : 6th December 2007 at 16:44.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 16:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

They say that you only truly begin your life after you set foot on Indian soil.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 16:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
It's said the true test of character is what a person will do when he knows he will not get caught. That day, drivers on the 401 showed their character. I am not going to say anything about India and Indians.
Well and truly said. Regarding the 2nd class citizen in a foreign country, even a 3rd class citizen probably enjoys a better quality of life abroad. As to Indian manners, ask my old mother how she is treated `royally' in the UK when she visits my brother. The law enforcement, and most important the citizens know the law towards older people, and enforce it. Can she say the same thing about Indian people and the Govt.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 16:48   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
There are two options: .................. I prefer Option 1.
finneyp, you could have beautifully summarised it as "My passion is not just living anywhere, but living in India". No offense intended.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 16:49   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cant imagine how long it took those that couldnt use the emergency lane to ride on with their two wheels.
You mean to say you used the Emergency Lane ? Is that alllowed?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 16:49   #43
BHPian

[quote=amit;648804]

Cars in the middle lane had to merge into the leftmost lane. One car in the leftmost lane stopped, allowed a car in the middle lane to squeeze into the lane. The car behind in the middle lane then stopped allowing the leftmost lane car to drive away. The next car in the leftmost lane stopped, allowing the middle lane waiting car to squeeze in. Then the leftmost lane car drove in. Every car in the middle lane that squeezed in put their hands up waving in thanks to the left laned cars for allowing them to get in. All the drivers alternated like this on their own without any supervision from the cops. Traffic slowed but moved steadily. Cops could concentrate on better things over there (saving lives) and none of the drivers were frustrated because of unruly attitude of fellow drivers.

How many centuries do you guys think it will take for something like this to happen in India? The last time I tried to be decent and allowed a car to squeeze in, another 4 cars blocked me out.

Indians are the most rude race in the world. As shameful as this is, we have to accept facts. We behave like hooligans.

It's said the true test of character is what a person will do when he knows he will not get caught. That day, drivers on the 401 showed their character. I am not going to say anything about India and Indians.[/quote]

THAT my friends is what i am talking about!

Indians may be a LOT OF GOOD THINGS, but when it comes to politeness, civility and organisational ability, this place is trash! And I have NO QUALMS in saying this.

Elito
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 17:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
THAT my friends is what i am talking about!

Indians may be a LOT OF GOOD THINGS, but when it comes to politeness, civility and organisational ability, this place is trash! And I have NO QUALMS in saying this.

We see exactly the same situation in Dubai every other day, which leads me to think that this is not about people and their upbringing - its about DEMAND.

When the infrastructure isnt sufficient to cope up with the demands on it, survival instincts take over and you try to make sure you get the best of what little there is.

This is why we have corruption in India - the little government office with 3 clerks and one supervisor have to meet the demands of a few thousand people. Those in queue that want their job done faster use whatever it takes to facilitate the same - this leads to what is called 'corruption'.

I'm quite sure that in a similar situation every society will turn corrupt, unruly, indisciplined and rowdy. It is not a problem with that society - this is normal human behaviour.

The west can afford to sit back and criticise corruption and indiscipline, but they do not know how stretched our resources are. Ask their hospitals to cope up with a fraction of the load that ours handle daily, and they will collapse. Let their City Offices to deal with populations of a few million per city and watch how they manage.

In fact the western mindset is a lot more selfish than ours - they will NOT show the same consideration to fellow humans that we do. You saw it when Katrina hit New Orleans (cliche).

I'm not saying that India is shining - far from it. All I'm saying is that we should curb the temptation to berate our country for everything, downplaying our people for every such incident.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 17:05   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Live in foreign country & enjoy a better Quality of life - but live as 2nd grade citizens and face racial discrimnation by the Society and Govt.
Indians are the biggest racists in the world. The maximum racisim happens here in India. Madrasi, Bhaiya, Doodhwala, and the matrimonial ads everyday are proof of racisim. And to top it, we treat our own fellow countrymen as second class citizens. Shiv Sena hammer's people from UP because maharashtra is not for people from north. Even Bangalore had it's 'No outsiders' policy. How do we talk to our maids, society watchmen, dhobi's for example? We make some of our own countrymen feel not like second but zero grade citizens.Today it's so normal to be casteist that we have reality tv show participants asking for votes based on caste! Politicians ask for votes based on caste and our media was yesterday reporting on how BJP has not fielded any muslim candidate in Gujarat.

Not every country will subject you to racial discrimination and treat you like a second class citizen. I lived in Canada for a couple of years and not once was I made to feel like a second class citizen and never did I face racisim. Everytime I saw a fire engine or ambulance rush to save someone, I felt comfortable knowing that if tomorrow I have an accident, I know someone will be with me in a couple of minutes. Pretty good for a second class citizen, I say. Don't you agree? In comparision, I would lie bleeding to death in my own country where I am a first class citizen because the authorities just wouldn't bother.

Last edited by amit : 6th December 2007 at 17:15.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote