Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th December 2007, 10:22   #16
BANNED

I am a fast driver. Once I was also overtaking in hilly areas. I went behind a S.T. Bus and then he purposely kept in the outside lane for a little while more so he could block my view of the oncoming truck.

I see a big loaded truck coming quiet fast and I realize he is not even on the brakes. I quickly drive off road and just stop few meters from a huge drop 100's of meters.

I then reversed out and drove fast enough to catch up the bus and passed him.

This happened on the Mumbai - Nashik Highway.
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 10:43   #17
BHPian

I have heard from friends that some truck and KSRTC (Kerala) bus drivers deliberately show the hand and ask you to overtake when they see a vehicle coming from the opposite direction, just for the kick!! I thought it was just gas talk... I mean, what sort of sane humans would do that?! But I had a personal experience 3 years back when riding to college. There is a long curve, which isn't very sharp. But the KSRTC bus guy in front clearly asked me to pass when I honked once (no fake woolen hands). I moved towards the right and had barely downshifted to start the overtaking when I see a loaded truck rumbling slowly towards me!! When I hit the brakes and went back to my lane, my friends' statements started making a lot of sense. Why wouldn't it? There are quite a few INSANE drivers on our raods.
leodelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 11:14   #18
BHPian

are you sure you have seen the hand sajo? it might be stupid but i heard this from many people that, in highways or in ghats where than been an accidents, some spirits do exist there who tend do the accidents on the same spots. when i was in college i have heard of this incident from my mother the route from sambalpur to rourkela (orissa) there is a spot where always accident takes place without any specific reason(mind it that place is wide enough for two truck to cross each other comfortably ) . just a thought , i know it really stupid but again who knows ....
madaboutCARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 13:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Simple rule to follow in ghat: No overtaking in Ghat
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 14:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutCARS View Post
are you sure you have seen the hand sajo?
Yes madabtCARS, it was a woolen "hand" , a very real one at that.
I dont understand why they couldnt hang it inside the truck, on their RVMs, where they may not confuse drivers..
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 16:43   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, that woolen "hand" that you see can be a rope that these guys tie as a talisman. It is not a "hand" as much as a "rope" with a knot at the end, and is definitely not meant to be even resemble a hand.

Checking to see if it is the driver's hand or such paraphernalia is the responsibility of the person who wants to over take.

Same goes for understanding what the driver ahead of us is trying to signal to us. If in doubt, ask again by flashing your lights, honking etc.

Personally, I find about half of the drivers signal to say it's ok to pass, and most times this has been correct. The other half of times, the guy doesnt respond. So I do a second query and if I dont get a response, start overtaking - but with care.

Dirty Dan, I still find signalling with one's hand better than using the right indicator.

OT: if we are going to discuss about signalling & overtaking manouevers, then lets go back to previous threads where we have discussed these points quite extensively.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 18:48   #22
BHPian

this is another mistake i see being committed by plenty of drivers,(in addition to overtaking at blind turns) which can be real dangerous at times-
assuming there is this hairpin right turn coming up, the driver goes into the right side lane from his lane to take the turn, now this is alright if noone's coming from the other side,
but too often i'm made to slam my brakes when those drivers do this,thats when i'm coming from the other side (i even know of 2 accidents which occured by this common mistake)
so whatever happens always stick to your side of the road on ghat sections!
croonneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 20:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankura12 View Post
On one occassion I got bold and decided to follow a bus when it was overtaking the trailer. The bus easily crossed the trailer and then I saw right in front of me, may be within a short distance of 100 - 150 metres, two cars approaching fast from the opposite end.
I did almost the same thing last year and the only difference was that I was following a TATA Sumo, while overtaking a truck and had to squeeze every milli meter space available to my left(towards the truck) to avoid an on coming Honda City and I just managed (rather the drivers of the on coming vehicles managed to avoid me) to get away from a fatal crash.

One should not do this mistake ever.

Last edited by goldsun : 9th December 2007 at 20:11. Reason: Spell Correction
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 05:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post

I agree whole heartedly, and please maintain ample distance, if incase the car/truck in front decides to stop. (they may not be able to get it going and the truck may slide back a few inches)

I believe we have a whole thread dedicated to driving in the ghats?
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 06:13   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I agree whole heartedly, and please maintain ample distance, if incase the car/truck in front decides to stop. (they may not be able to get it going and the truck may slide back a few inches)
Are the two of you serious about no overtaking in the ghats? Sounds highly impractical to me.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 08:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nice lesson learnt Sajo, you have to be very patient in the ghat roads. Never overtake unless you are very sure.

Generally the truckers will help if you honk from behind they will guide you. If they dont give any signal it is better you follow them and then overtake on a clear stretch.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 09:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Are the two of you serious about no overtaking in the ghats? Sounds highly impractical to me.
I second that.If u dont overtake trucks in the ghats u ll be driving around in 1st gear at 5 to 6 kmph throughout.
Find a sweet spot/check in the front and overtake.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 10:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

I think it is not about ghats, but about your own visibility. You should be able to see clearly ahead to the point where you will overtake and merge into your own lane. Then double that distance. That is the visibility you should have before overtaking. On ghat sections the percentage of roads where such visibility is possible is very little. And then trucks drive very slowly, which makes one go for dangerous overtakings even with very little visibility. And most often you will not even have any space outside the road to drive into in case of any emergency. If you are on a one way ghat like the Khambatki, then it may be safer - but then in India you never really know. The same caution needs to be excercised over small ups and downs where you cannot see beyond the crest of the road curve.

I was once riding an enfield from Indore towards Khandwa and I had a pillion rider too. I was driving on that ghat for the first time and at one point I started overtaking a Eicher truck. Just as I reached the front side of the truck, the road turned left and I saw a fully laden tata HCV coming towards me. I had no time to brake and get back - may be I might have skidded. I tried to accelerate (but you know how the bullet responds) and pass. We hit the bumpers of both the trucks. The end pieces of the bumper in the Eicher truck was made of plastic, which broke off. My pillion riders shoes were torn. But we did not fall, may be the heavy bike saved us. But that was really scary.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 10:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
even if Mother Theresa stuck her hand out of a car/truck and told me it was safe to overtake i would not do it, UNLESS i can see that the lane is all clear with my OWN eyes.
EXACTLY.

Don't even trust your passenger when he tells you it's clear ahead. See it with your OWN eyes before overtaking.

...and overtaking should be QUICK. So you should be much faster than the one you're trying to overtake. If your difference in speed is less, it's going to take a lot of time to complete the procedure....and it will take a lot of distance too. It's worse if you're overtaking a long vehicle.

Don't expect anybody to slow down for you to overtake. That is NOT his problem.

Another rule (...also how to spot an idiotic driver) is to NEVER EVER overtake on a turn...especially a LEFT TURN. Idiotic drivers always try to overtake on left turns.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 10:32   #30
BHPian

If the roads are clear, blow horn continously (Stebel or Hella can really work here) and overtake, so that an oncoming vehicle driver and the driver ahead of you are alert.
aby.sam is offline   Reply With Quote