Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th December 2007, 18:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Angry Run In : Really?

Today i was comming back in my Peted Swift. I was travelling at around 80kmph at the Palm Beach Road and there was a red Swift LXi with temporary registration covered full of dust.

I immediately identified it that Automotive Manufacturers send their cars for registration to the RTO via this route. and it was one such car. He was pulling away crazily. I tap the accelerator of the Peted Swift and it leaped ahead, 100.... 120.... 140 i overtake him. That means he was driving at a speed of 130kmph Mind you the road was empty.

Then the left came to turn inside Nerul, and i slowed down and took the turn, in my RVM i see that car in speed entering. I was shocked he was no less then 65kmph at the left on stock tyres of customers car.

Suddenly he tried to race me, i was ahead of him, the road became a two lane on the bridge, i was at 80, shifted to 3rd and waited for him to come side by side. He came side by side at speed and i tapped the accelerator, and the Red Swift became a spec in the mirror.

Then i had to take a turn and the Red Swift went en route to the dealership.

I called the dealership up, and asked him about the wherabouts of the car and told the manager whom i knew about what the driver was doing to a customers car, he was shocked himself and told me thanks, he would look in the matter.

When i took my car, i went to the dealership, drove it to the RTO and then parked it back at the dealership to make sure nobody else drives her in the run in period.

To all those who think that they are running their car, i wanna ask, how sure are you. Most dealerships send the cars to the RTO by hiring a driver who must have surely hit no less then 5500RPM in my above narration.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 18:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

quite common, i see quite a few hyundai vehicles being ripped in front of my office by the dealer guys who take it for registering. thrashing them on bad roads along with rippin the engine.. thats what i call proper PDI

sad we pay our precious savings to buy the same car :( thank god my car didnt have to go through all this due to various reasons.

This was discussed earlier also i guess.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 18:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Seems like here in Delhi/Gurgaon things are different. I have never sent my car to the RTO for registration. We get TEMP plates at the showroom & the registration number comes in about 15 days without a trip to the RTO.

So no scope for this circus !!!!!

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 18:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Same was the case with My Alto. He had got the chassis Number & Engine number noted after the PDI & delivered the papers & Number plate after 15 odd days.

This was in Pune.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 18:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Seems like here in Delhi/Gurgaon things are different. I have never sent my car to the RTO for registration. We get TEMP plates at the showroom & the registration number comes in about 15 days without a trip to the RTO.

So no scope for this circus !!!!!

Cheers
Have you ever seen Maruti guys driving cars to the offsite storage facility? You will be shocked to see the cars being driven on the road in front of the Maruti factory without even touching the breaks.... with all those nice speed breakers there. These guys have to park hundreds of cars so they just can't afford to be gentle!

Last edited by mohit : 14th December 2007 at 19:04.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 18:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

While on Bangalore-Mysore highway, I was leisurely doing 80~90. Suddenly I saw a fleet of brand new Santros, with temp registration pass me at quite high speed. They must have doing around 120. Actually they were racing against each other. One Santro had a close shave with a truck, while trying to overtake another Santro. For some reason, the dealer was transporting cars on road than via trucks.
I felf sorry for the would be owners.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 19:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well, now its a rule, car has to go to the TRO for registration. Otherwise this can be eliminated.

A guy in RTO told me that they did this, coz one person registered two cars with same number or so.
Old 14th December 2007, 19:07   #8
HKP
BHPian

Default good job BUSA

Quote:
I called the dealership up, and asked him about the wherabouts of the car and told the manager whom i knew about what the driver was doing to a customers car, he was shocked himself and told me thanks, he would look in the matter.
That's a great thing to do.
Looks like so many others have seen similar things, but no one ever did anything. I am not blaming anyone. But the social consciousness shown by BUSA is really commendable. keep it up buddy!!

\\hkp
HKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 19:09   #9
BHPian

So true...

I have this relative who used to work for HM, at the plant where they assemble the Cedia. He once told me that if only future owners saw the way their precious cars were being handled by the factory test drivers, they wouldn't buy a car - ever !

Partly because it's not their money, & partly because it's all in a day's work for them, the factory & dealer drivers tend to have heavy right feet Cars are meant to be driven, there's no point pampering them. So I'm not really against factory & dealer drivers, it's their abuse of our charges that gets to me.
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 19:13   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

There are two theories or run-in!

1. Manufacturers text- book theory of low rpms.
2. Some sites stress the advantages of high-rpm running in.

I guess we get to have both here in India. Have even seen these guys doing small scale stunts while taking two- wheelers for registration. Since my college is near to 5-6 showrooms, we are used to the sight now!

BUSA, good that you took the pains to call and complaint. I hope that guy gets the treatment he deserves!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th December 2007 at 19:16.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 19:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Crazy_Driver - If there is any theory of faster run in then why do they need to risk it, let the owner do it. Just imagine 130kmph in a stock LXi Swift on those 165s. Its really risky and it wasnot that he was careful, he was cutting across whereva he liked.

Also if anyone happens to read the car manual, there is a page which says"For the First Thousand Kilometers, keep the car around 2000RPM and shift gears according to the table given below. Dont accelerate, brake hard in the initial period"

Shift to 2nd at 10
Shift to 3rd at 20
Shift to 4th at 35
Shift to 5th at 45
Old 14th December 2007, 19:37   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I wasn't supporting them BUSA!

I guess my post is too confusing. Well, my teachers always used to tell i have to work on my communication skills!
Old 14th December 2007, 20:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

this is a common thing nowadays.some people insist on getting deliveries too soon that the formalities of regn should be complete in half the time and things go like what busa told.a humble request to all those who love cars is that do not presurise the dealer to get the vehicle for delivery too soon.give them the time for the formalities and that can solve some of the problem.request to dealer -keep enough drivers so that a driver has to do multiple trips to the rto for the regn.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 20:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wasn't supporting them BUSA!
I know you werent, your communication skills are good, i understood what you wanted to say. I just meant to say, that what ever type of running-in is the owners should take care of it.
Old 14th December 2007, 20:20   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Suddenly he tried to race me, i was ahead of him, the road became a two lane on the bridge, i was at 80, shifted to 3rd and waited for him to come side by side. He came side by side at speed and i tapped the accelerator, and the Red Swift became a spec in the mirror.
So,

A Pete'd Swift can totally smoke a stock petrol?