Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 25th January 2008, 14:24   #61
BHPian

fastback,
From when did Perambur become the outskirts of City!!?

koolaruny,
WestMambalam is worst 365 days a year, much much worse before festival times. Wonder how You manage to live there!

Though there is traffic in Chennai, its moving most of the time unlike Bangalore.
But unlike Bangalore, cyclewallahs are a much bigger threat to other road users in Chennai.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 15:18   #62
BHPian

worst traffic i face on a regular basis is at Famous Studios & Mahalaxmi railway station.Makes me think to drive to work.Other notable one is between the racecourse & golfclub.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 17:51   #63
BHPian

The tidel park junction in the morning and evening is always chaotic.

The vadapalani junction and couple of junctions after this are really really bad these days. I certainly feel better to drive during the off peak hours in the city to have the sheer pleasure of driving.

And to add don't every try leaving the office (IT offices in OMR) around 18:00 in the hope of reaching home early ..a long queue will await you in most of the junctions en route to your destination..
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 00:13   #64
BHPian

roads in pune are terrible and combined with the insane number of two wheelers it is a nightmare to drive. during peak hours the traffic is so slow you could actually switch off your car, pull the handbrake and take a power nap. some of the worst traffic spots are -
1. bt kavde railway crossing
2. ramwadi chowk
3. the narrow stretch connecting nibm to kondhwa
i am sure the pune guys know what i m talkin about.
ishotmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 22:44   #65
BHPian

@ hyderabad add
Sad traffic jam from Sarojni eye hospital, humayunnagar to rethibowli & rethi bowli to sarojni eye hospital, humayun nagar-Courtesy-- the new airport flyover comming up, its one fo the worse jam area's in the city.....the flyover, instead of being parallel to the road, meanders through the road turning a 6 lane road into a 2 lane road, i.e, 1 lane per side at rethibowli and a strait road into turned into a meandering small road...
-Nagarjuna Circle to paradise(vice-versa)
-end of abids to kothi
-Begumpet flyover while comming towards punjagutta from Begumpet....
-Sanathnagar-punjagutta stretch
-& all main roads, literally
Auto guys drive like 4 year old driving tricycles, if they scratch you, they think is a done thing, a legal right, if one gets into an argument a couple gang up and put up an illogical argument...
Best time to go somewhere is before 5 PM and come back after 9 30 PM!!

3 years back one could go from one end of the city to the other end in half an hour, its just a crazy idea now!
I used to go from masab tank to gautami,SR nagar in 15 mins in the morning on the kine back in the days, never got late. nowadays it take ages.

Last edited by gendarmee : 15th February 2008 at 22:55. Reason: correcting typo
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 01:06   #66
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Try Juhu tara road on the sunday evening if you dare.Half a km stretch once took 45 minutes to cover.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 00:55   #67
BHPian

Ha, Guindy it is. Kathipara is a horror in Chennai when it comes to jams, and add to it the dust and pollution from the construction of the new flyover. I try all the possiblities to see if i can avoid this messed up place. Just pray the new flyover finds a solution, and fast.
fash_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 02:08   #68
Senior - BHPian

Default 30k backups

Thirty kilo long backups. This happens often in many big cities in North America. In Chicago this happens several times a week. And, this is with "modern" road systems. As much as they like the freedom that the automobile gives them North Americans are learning that autos, especially petroleum dependent autos, are not getting them from point A to point B in a timely and economical way.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 04:23   #69
Senior - BHPian

to add to all the other busy spots in Hyderabad city!

the dilshuknagar main road from the nalgonda x roads and all the till end of fruit market in kothapet is one such road!

the next i can think of is the Himayathnagar main road after they put in the divider the u turns have been placed as far as a 1.2kms and all this stretch is jammed during the peak hours!

the koti ka sultan bazaar is like literally bazaar on the road only twowheelers and M800 kind of sized cars can go through it!

another one is the charminar road the busiest one and let me tell you its better to search for a needle in a HAY stack than find a decent parking spot in that area, people park on the road literally and a driver needs to stay with the car to make sure its not kissed by others be it school kids or driving gods who run on three wheels! and the laadbaazar is like sort of the cyclists and the pedestrians are faster than any thing! and the stretch to high court from the madina cafe is one of the most crowded!
the four roads on the four sides of charminar are closed for vehicles during RAMZAN season and one can only think shopping there if they go either in a auto or a two wheeler other wise its too difficult to roam those four lanes on all four directions of charminar which is filled with all kinds of goodies during this period!, man now i am all nostalgic about the HALEEM!, especially from pista house!

another of the busiest of the junctions is the LAKDI-KA-PUL junctions that makes me feel like hell man there is too much of JAM as that one of the critical routes that connects to masabtank/mehdipatnam/golconda fort/ kutubshahi tombs roads! THIS IS LITERALLY ONE OF THE WORST ONES!

the other worst is the RTC"X" roads during the peak hours!, there are about 13 cinema halls around that junction and is jam packed during the show start timings and end timings!

I AM SURPRISED how come people forgot the main KHAIRATABAD JUNCTION! thats the only 5 way junction connection the main roads in Hyderabad!, its awfully busy and can take like 3-5signals to get through!

man o man i am so much happier in Hyderabad than in Bangalore there are just too many "theda" roads (PEOPLE NO OFFENCES TO ANYONE HERE), each main road ka junction has atleast 5-6 directions so when my uncle or aunt explains me the roads on phone it gets so confusing finding them as a newbie there was a nightmare to me! i just gave the driving seat to my dad in the city!

after reaching the city we headed to mekri circle, then on we got lost, we had to go to banshankri stageII so we roamed for like 2-3 hours in the city before we got home man i was like so pissed off with which directions to take!

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th February 2010 at 14:16. Reason: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 12:25   #70
BHPian

Sony world/ejipura junction(bangalore) if we talk about time. And Jaggsandra (near Nous) if you talk about stupid things do.specially people trying to get into teachers colony
manziee_crusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 14:42   #71
BHPian

Default No traffic at Kathiparra Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_1 View Post
Ha, Guindy it is. Kathipara is a horror in Chennai when it comes to jams, and add to it the dust and pollution from the construction of the new flyover. I try all the possiblities to see if i can avoid this messed up place. Just pray the new flyover finds a solution, and fast.
Hi Chennai Bhpians...

Suprisingly there is no traffic jams at Kathipara nowadays...My office is pretty close to this junction & even on bike I used to take 15 min to cross thic junction...Now even in my Car it hardly takes 5 min...traffic has drastically reduced in the past ten days....

Regards
marlon
Marlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 16:47   #72
BHPian

Has to be Naraina crossing. To cover a 1km stretch, it takes me 30-40 mins - thanks to ongoing construction of a flyover over there!
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 17:02   #73
BHPian

These days Driving around Velachery,Adyar,Thiruvanmiyur signal is becoming painful.

Surprisingly,Kathipara has eased out a lot.
Raajiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 17:03   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Hi Chennai Bhpians...

Suprisingly there is no traffic jams at Kathipara nowadays...My office is pretty close to this junction & even on bike I used to take 15 min to cross thic junction...Now even in my Car it hardly takes 5 min...traffic has drastically reduced in the past ten days....

Regards
marlon
Thats mainly because the roads into the guindy estates have been relaid and also the complete stretch of roads leading to and from the kathipara jn have been made usable now. Let us all hope that part of the flyover construction completes in the next few months and opens for traffic.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 18:41   #75
BHPian

@Pune,
The Bangalore bypass has become a pain point during peak hours near the Hinjewadi flyover and near Wakad police stn chowk. Though, police 'bandobast' is always there.

Null Stop, every Puneite knows what I am talking about.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote