Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th January 2008, 16:32   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Does anyone know the speed at which the camera is triggered?

In case of traffic light violations, I understand that when the signal turns red, the camera automatically arms itself to capture licence plates of errant vehicles.

But what about over-speeding? Is it the city-wide limit of 60km/hr or less?

That reminds me.. there was a case here is UK, a guy was riding his bike at such speed that the cameras could not capture the image of the number plate.. normally the cameras can caputre number plate even at a speeds over 100MPH. not just one camera.. even 2 cameras could not.. wonder what speed he was at
Pal-leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 19:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Speed cameras are to a great extend real asset to the traffic department as they not only safegurd the traffic rules but also bring revenue though at a later time. Middle east countries have used them very well and the penalties are collected annually without fail because the traffic regulation restricts every vehicles to be checked and penalties cleared every year at given date.

India do not have an annual checking or inspection of vehicles as a rule. A penalty can be pending for many years here which will reduce the seriousness of violating rules. Many owners shift places but never bother to change them with the RTO. Considering these situations, where do we stand with the speed cameras ?

If anyone can develop a machine with a 6 feet iron baton which will slap the face or head of the 2 wheel violator and same way damage the headlights or glass of the 4 wheel violator (in case of jumping red lights, overspeeding, entering one-ways etc.), that could prove the best solution for india ! To add drama to it, a tiny camera also can be fixed at the top of the machine which will click the "slapping action" for a dedicated page on the national dailies. One thing is guranteed. Either due to pain or to avoid public appearance on news papers for a bad thing, people will try to behave oneself on roads.
shajufx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 19:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

The amount of dust that prevails on our roads, it would take someone to clean the camera lens every hour to get good clear pictures. Yeah, people have been fined through this system.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 19:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
He too was laughing at the thought cause most of the over speeding accidents happen at night, and the cameras do not work at that time.
that's no reason for laughing at his own department's (good) initiative. you teach them a lesson in day, someday we will have night vision cams too.

also, high time india switches to standard plates issued by RTO, and annual vehicle registration updates. of course it should be made easy for public, online/ATM kind of services to go and pay the fees (+ fines).
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 20:20   #35
BHPian

starting an initiative in India will take 5 years average and then to upgrade it will take another 5 years after that..

By that time the traffic issue would have worsened more (hope not completely out of hand) and cops wil have a tougher time dealing with it. I dont think Government thinks of any initiative on a longer term basis..
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 20:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

The very fact that you are being watched, deters several potential violators. This is indeed a commendable beginning.

As to doubts about promptness with which fines can be collected - think time and dedicated foficers will find a soultion for every problem. I read somewhere else on this forum that people from the MV department used to go around residences in Mumbai to find out of Mumbai registration vehicles to collect octroi / catch octroi evaders.

It should not be too difficult in Bangalore also.

As to failure to report shift in residence - it IS AN OFFENCE to not report your change in residence.

And if anybody from B'lore / K'tka law enforcement is reading this - if fines are not paid for more than one year, please put up registration nos and names of registered owners on some web site, so that vehicles with dues are not palmed off to unsuspecting people.

That said, will the cameras really deter the ricks? the lane jumpers? Tailgaters?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 20:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Very unlikely that the cameras will do anything to improve the traffic situation.At best,it'll help take a census of the # of violations in a given period of time.The cops can sit and count them all,but not be able to fix even a minor percentage of the problems.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 00:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

OK I took the plunge today,was on my way back home and deliberately jumped the signal at Sadashiv Nagar,the camera flashed twice. This happened at around 11pm.
Am waiting for the outcome and hoping to see a challan at my door in the next few days.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 01:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
OK I took the plunge today,was on my way back home and deliberately jumped the signal at Sadashiv Nagar,the camera flashed twice. This happened at around 11pm.
Am waiting for the outcome and hoping to see a challan at my door in the next few days.
such an act would result in an insurance premium raise of 50$ or more in US, in addition it will appear everytime anybody accesses driver's history.

why did you have to test it yourselves? endangering others' lives?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 09:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My condolences in advance. Do keep us updated.

And just think of it - I had just posted that cameras will provide a deterrent for potential law breakers, and here you go breaking the law ONLY because the cameras are present!!!

BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 10:02   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I had just posted that cameras will provide a deterrent for potential law breakers, and here you go breaking the law ONLY because the cameras are present!!!
It's commom knowledge that he has an affinity towards cameras.

Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 10:08   #42
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note, can you test the same on the other 4 junctions too, just to be sure.

Quote:
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 11:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, it's a great step in the right direction.

1. Reduced signal-jumping just after the signal turns red;
I admit that given our chaotic traffic conditions, motorists/riders will complain that they could not see the signal change because they were tailgating the car/bus in front etc etc. But at least they will be much more focussed on the chance that the signal may change. In fact, the digital readouts counting down to changes mean that people should already be very aware of when to slow down etc.

2. Reduced signal-jumping when there is no traffic from the other side. This is my opinion is much more dangerous as oncoming traffic will ordinarily cruise through seeing the green signal. If an impatient person suddenly accelerates through without noticing or correctly calculating the other vehicles' speed.... This in fact is very common in Bangalore!

3. Will reduce speeding at intersections. The current practice of accelerating when near a traffic signal will reduce. People will realise that they still need to keep the minimum stopping distance in mind as they approach the signal (if it flashes yellow and then red)

4. Will reduce signal jumping when the pedestrian signal is green. This is a very shabby and dangerous habit and almost always results in severe injuries to pedestrians who trust the green and step across.

On the whole, a very welcome move as long as the cameras are correctly synchronized and calibrated to the signals.

For those who are doubtful of the RTO collecting the fine/penalty, they have a very simple method: All fines/penalties unpaid for whatever reason remain in your electronic vehicle tax records. Next time one pays any vehicle-related tax whatsoever, you will have to clear them first!

However, as Karnataka/Maharashtra collects lifetime vehicle tax as opposed to most other states, I am unsure how it would work here!
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 11:13   #44
BHPian

Unhappy

A couple of years back, I got a traffic violation notice for jumping red signal at a certain intersection. This supposed violation had happened about a month prior to my receiving the notice. There was no photo or description of the vehicle in the notice, just the license number.

I was almost certain that I was not in that junction at that particular day. I think whoever manually noted down the number may have made an error.

However, due to absence of evidence either way and the long process associated with contesting the claim, i simply paid the fine at the nearest B-one center.

In such cases, perhaps the photo will help.
sreenidhibr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 22:28   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
and here you go breaking the law ONLY because the cameras are present!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
why did you have to test it yourselves? endangering others' lives?
All you dude's like I said earlier it was at 11pm and there was hardly any traffic. I never endangered any lives or never risked anything.

I am mature enough to judge the situation and then decide if I were to do such a thing.

Am re-iterating I did it deliberately and I am waiting for the outcome to see how effective this new blunder is.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote