Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 8th January 2008, 21:38   #16
BHPian

Default for cosmetic use

I was told by so called driving instructor in H'bad "Dont look over the shoulder, you may endup crashing in to the vehicle ahead".

I hate folks folding up both wing mirrors during vallet parking. Our motor vehicle rules should make them optional cosmetic stuff for vehicles since thats what happens in reality
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 22:10   #17
PVS
BHPian

True, keeping both the left & right rear view mirrors open gives you a much more clearer perspective of whats happening behind you. But at the same time, you run the risk of getting either of your mirrors smashed/broken just because an impatient biker, seeing that little space ahead of him, scampered past, breaking your RVM. By the time you could catch up with him, he would have gone.
I have had to replace my right RVM twice thanks to these stupid bikers - and since then I keep my right rvm folded most of the time. Of course, I don't glance back before turning.

Needless to say, left & right RVM's are an absolute must on the highways!

And in Hyderabad, I have seen many two wheelers, especially bikes, having both the mirrors to the centre, that is, right in front of the rider,above the speedo. Would rather prefer looking at themselves rather than at the traffic behind them!! Stupid people.
PVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 23:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
when taking my driving classes in Dubai, it was enforced that to make a turn from one lane to another, one had to have a look at center RVM, then the side mirrors and also the blind spots before making the change. since this was asked to be done each and every time a change of lane was required, you naturally get tuned to it. This also gets checked during your driving test.

if followed, this is one of the best ways to use the RVM's!
This is correct method for doing lane changes. I was taught this here in the U.S, but not in India. I guess people are not taught and are hence unaware of the proper usage.

One good way of inculcating road sense would be to teach them in schools, that would really help instilling the right way in children so that when they grow up they are aware of it. They will probably be given wrong instructions when they start learning to drive but at least some of the kids will have the sense to distinguish between what they had been taught earlier and what the driving instructors are teaching them...
thangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 08:12   #19
BHPian

Guys,

This is the steep price we pay for being a democracy I guess. Why provide ORVMs that can be foded, there by giving the driver an option of either having it open or closed? Why not also provide a steering wheel mounted button which can be used to disable the brakes? Then the driver can decide if he wants to stop or just crash through the traffic in front, so he can get to his destination one and a half seconds earlier.

I think we should also consider making driving licenses optional as well..

Cheers,
Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 20:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thangu View Post
This is correct method for doing lane changes. I was taught this here in the U.S, but not in India. I guess people are not taught and are hence unaware of the proper usage.

One good way of inculcating road sense would be to teach them in schools, that would really help instilling the right way in children so that when they grow up they are aware of it. They will probably be given wrong instructions when they start learning to drive but at least some of the kids will have the sense to distinguish between what they had been taught earlier and what the driving instructors are teaching them...
What is a lane? Do we have lanes in India? :P
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 22:44   #21
BHPian

Sometime back, a lady driver overtook my bike and almost banged into me. She was definitely looking into her rear view mirror........applying lipstick. In return, I helped her improve her "vocabulary".

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 9th January 2008 at 22:45.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 22:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Guys,

Why not also provide a steering wheel mounted button which can be used to disable the brakes? Then the driver can decide if he wants to stop or just crash through the traffic in front, so he can get to his destination one and a half seconds earlier.

Rajan
@patchyboy: I don't think the "brake control on steering wheel" is your ORIGINAL idea. Because, the new Scorpio already has Cruise Control on it's steering wheel.

Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 09:23   #23
BHPian

Cool,

I see lot o such jerks when i drive to office and back.

So silly taht they fold both there ORVM and just try to drive with there gut feel/ blind guess...

Such PIA....
VC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 13:36   #24
BHPian

I do use all 3 RVMs, but my car has bad ORVMs. This was one of the negatives of the earlier Wagon R models (mine is one). The ORVMs are too narrow and sometimes I have to move my head in order to see the bigger picture!

And then there is the wide A-pillar that blocks the view while taking right turns.
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 13:52   #25
BHPian

IMO, people fold them deliberately. The reason is when you overtake a car, that has mirrors folded in, you tend to be extra conscious, honk a bit more, give dippers etc and when you are 100% sure that the driver knows that you are trying to overtake, than only you over take, now compare this situation to another, where you are overtaking a car which has open mirrors, there you are sure that the driver knows that someone is trying to overtake, so he will easily let you pass.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 15:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

pjay_in----I too am a similar victim. I got a Left RVM fitted on my WagonR. But both OVRMs suck in that they do not give you a broad vision. They are just plain mirrors, not convex. Even an Alto has convex mirrors.
As regards blind spot awareness, I am equally pained that most of us are not aware of it even. The following is a good video on this :-
Driving a Cultural Change in India: Making Indian road traffic safer and better: 1: Video's 1 - 2travelling in india, driving in india, learning to drive in india, driving test, free online driver education awareness training videos covering topi
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 16:08   #27
BHPian

I have a swift, and i use both side mirrors open - never folded them

The mirror can twist forward-backward

Very rarely i have hit the mirror with bikes, but no big deal just pull the mirror back to position.

How kanjuus can you be after all ?
eflanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 16:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Guys,

This is the steep price we pay for being a democracy I guess. Why provide ORVMs that can be foded, there by giving the driver an option of either having it open or closed? Why not also provide a steering wheel mounted button which can be used to disable the brakes? Then the driver can decide if he wants to stop or just crash through the traffic in front, so he can get to his destination one and a half seconds earlier.

I think we should also consider making driving licenses optional as well..

Cheers,
Rajan
In city traffic when you are driving a sedan, I would prefer to keep RVM/ and ORVM on my RH side to be open rather than opening all the ORVMs as it may scrape through another vehicle on LHS.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 19:57   #29
BHPian

I tried driving with both ORM open only to have them knocked off, one occasion by a biker on the left, the second by a call center cab on the right. the internally adjustable ORM's are not exactly cheap. In India you can provide with people with all safety features and even use them yourself.
However, as long as the anything goes mentality exists there is nothing we can do but debate, typical scenario in Bangalore traffic, you look at all your RV mirrors indicate which side you are turning, there will be someone who thinks, he is a little bit faster or his vehicle is a little bit thinner than it is and will squeeze in. Or Just keep coming at you with the belief that you will stop cause you love your car more than he does.
Vinaygv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 22:54   #30
BHPian

The swifts mirrors can twist both sides and the casing is very solid.

I keep both mirrors open - always

I cannot imagine myself driving without mirrors - specially in india
eflanker is offline   Reply With Quote