Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th June 2014, 21:53   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare

I had a similar experience from a Mahindra showroom in Kochi. I gave the keys of the safari to the valet since he insisted that he needs it if I have to park there. Gave it, and after sometime he moved the car to a different parking spot where the rear of the safari was protruding to the road. Just as I suspected, i could see that a tempo traveler that was going through that service road scratched the spare tyre cover. Who is to blame ? Not the tempo guy, but the person who parked it in a awkward place. Since we were there to book an XUV, these guys obliged to replace the cover after a bit of the usual blame game. They called back once they got approval from their showroom manager. But I did not have time to go there and get it replaced. It has been 3 months now and the mark is still there.

The valet parking in hotels have not given me so much trouble. But then, I am not comfortable giving the car keys to any of them.
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 17:26   #137
BHPian

After reading the horror stories about valet parking, I've now started a new practice: Ask the valet to sit in the car and direct me to the parking spot, once parked, don't give him the keys since I now know where my car is parked!! I don't mind even if the parking is far away since I know that at-least my car is safe!! Anyways, a bit of walking is good for health too! Help digest the food post lunch/dinner!!
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 18:53   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
After reading the horror stories about valet parking, I've now started a new practice: Ask the valet to sit in the car and direct me to the parking spot, once parked, don't give him the keys since I now know where my car is parked!! I don't mind even if the parking is far away since I know that at-least my car is safe!! Anyways, a bit of walking is good for health too! Help digest the food post lunch/dinner!!
One clever counter these valets give that I've discovered when they see you reluctant to entrust your precious vehicle to them, is to say "Sirjee, key is needed in case vehicle has to be moved / relocated". Sounds like a legitimate demand but fraught with potential for misuse. I havn't figured out how to get past this and on the few occasions when I was told this I insisted on parking outside.
Kumar R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 09:15   #139
Senior - BHPian

Lamborghini worth Rs 3 crore wrecked by hotel valet.

Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/38098557.cms
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 09:49   #140
BHPian

Well luckily my car was never damaged by a valet but I hate it that they fiddle with the car in the short duration that they have it. Yesterday I gave my car to the valet at the Lalit Residency and the valet changes the seat setting, moved the steering, moved the AC to heater and changed the blower settings... this is so irritating.

Now i drive a humble Skoda imagine what their curiosity will do to an exotic.

RoS
rulerofsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 10:07   #141
BHPian

Default Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare

We once had to face an incident where the Vallet driver parked our Santro on the divider. One of the famous hospitals in Secunderabad had recently started their Vallet services to avoid traffic jams. ( the visiting cars were parked on the opposite of the hospital, on the road ) I was in utter shock seeing how the driver managed to park it on the divider. The car was literally hung on the divider with too and fro motion. What pissed us further was the attitude of the drivers. Not a single one was scared, all of them had a good laugh at the incident. That moment was filled with anger and acrimony hence couldn't click a pic. That was the last we handed over cars to the Vallet.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 10th July 2014 at 10:10.
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 10:59   #142
BHPian

One more reason why you should deeply mistrust valet parking guys.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/38098557.cms

Quote:
NEW DELHI: A valet of a five-star city hotel virtually totaled a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder last week. The valet appeared to have lost control of the car while bringing it to the porch, rammed into a stationary car, pushed it aside and caromed into the concrete railing of the rampart.

By the time the Lamborghini came to a halt after a resounding crash, the front of the Rs 3-crore plus supercar had caved in. The incident took place on July 3 at Le Meridian hotel. A hotel spokesperson said the incident was an error of the valet who also sustained injuries in the accident....

The owners claimed the front portion of the Lamborghini was wrecked and it was taken to the workshop on Tuesday night for repairs. The cost of the repairs was around Rs 2 crore, they claimed. They added that initially the hotel promised compensation but later declined to do so. Nipun said a complaint was, therefore, filed against valet Arun Kumar and Le Meridien hotel with Parliament Street police station.
Gotham_City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 11:15   #143
BHPian

The second picture above (from the Times of India website) is not the interiors of a Lamborghini.
raksrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 13:16   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
The second picture above (from the Times of India website) is not the interiors of a Lamborghini.
Don't you just love Times of India. Headlines says 3 crore car damaged by valet guy but TOI puts a photo of a Ford iKon interior to depict the damage. lol.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 13:52   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
That probably is the other car the Lamborghini hit before totalling itself.
Thats what the damage to the side is being attributed to.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 14:07   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
the valet changes the seat setting, moved the steering, moved the AC to heater and changed the blower settings... this is so irritating.

RoS
This is my biggest grouse with Valet. I mean, they hardly use the car for a max of 10 minutes and change everything. I absolutely avoid giving the car to a valet unless there is no other option. I have tried to tell them not to change the settings, but more often than not, they are not listened to
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 14:08   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I doubt it.
See the background of that image - something in Tamil
Not in Delhi Le-meridian I say!
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 14:25   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I don't think so. If you see from the driver side window, you will notice something written in Malayalam (apologies if it is wrong language) and there is slim chance something like that on wall to be found in New Delhi and moreover this is premise of a 5 Star Hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Don't you just love Times of India. Headlines says 3 crore car damaged by valet guy but TOI puts a photo of a Ford iKon interior to depict the damage. lol.
There is a reason they are called TOIlet paper of India.
raksrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 15:11   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
I doubt it.
See the background of that image - something in Tamil
Not in Delhi Le-meridian I say!
It says 'for rent' in Tamil, so definitely not Le Meridien TOI at it's best again.

Plus i don't think the hotel will pay 2 crores for repair. They will probably get away with 'at your own risk' clause.

Giving that car to a Valet was stupid!

Edit: What about Insurance? Will it apply "in case" the valet didn't have a valid license?

Last edited by Raghav_K : 10th July 2014 at 15:18.
Raghav_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 11:44   #150
BHPian

Yet another example of irresponsible valet parking. This happened to my friend Samik 'Jonak' Ghosh's Maruti Swift at Pride hotel Kolkata. Since he is not a member of Team Bhp yet am posting it on behalf of him.

Quoting what he mailed to me.
Quote:
This is what the 'The Pride Hotel, Kolkata did to my car when I left the car keys with them. I checked this as soon as I took delivery of it at 12:30 am. Initially they tried to wash their hands off but now I have left the car in front of their main entrance and they have promised to check the CCTV footage's today and decide on what to do
The picture of the damaged car.
Valet Drivers = Your car's worst nightmare-desktop.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 19th July 2014 at 11:46.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote