Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 12th February 2008, 16:34   #31
BHPian

Army Drivers rarely make a mistake,but incase they do- The case is handled by the Military Police, No civilian or Police can book them except the MP.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 16:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Surely there are people among us who are rash drivers. But we never generalize, do we?
We do actually, in case of Scorpio drivers .. Anyway, I was not generalizing. But I have seen or heard too many stories about irresponsible behavior from these bad apples among the Army men.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...tml#post454434 (Lost my cool today)
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 17:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

There you go again Spad. Already in a different thread Scorpio drivers are being bashed for being rash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
We do actually, in case of Scorpio drivers .. Anyway, I was not generalizing. But I have seen or heard too many stories about irresponsible behavior from these bad apples among the Army men.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...tml#post454434 (Lost my cool today)
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 20:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

gendermee,here's what my F-I-L (a retired Colonel with the Artillery dvision) had to say ..

'I am shocked to hear about the behaviour of the men in uniform. The present day lot have no regards for etiquettes and manners as we used to have during our time. I am certain that the army truck driver was at fault. What your acquaintance should do is to first lodge an FIR with the local police immediately. There is a thing called MACT ( Military Accidents Case Tribunal ) where there is provision for giving compensation to accident victims involving military vehicles. Any advocate worth his salt would know this. Your friend should consult an advocate immediately and file a case against the Army. Hope he has noted down the particulars of the vehicle and the place and time of the accident. Alongside, he should seek an appointment with the station commander of the army and lodge a complaint against the behaviour of the men in uniform. If no action is taken, he can approach the highest authority of the Army and also get a report of the incident published in the news papers.These days the army is very chary about the bad publicity it may get from such behaviour on the part of the men.'

Hope this helps...
Good luck!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 21:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

Nitin, that was a nice gesture on your part buddy! Keep it up!

Am sure Gendermee can do the needful now to get the culprits nabbed!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 21:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Nitin, that was a nice gesture on your part buddy! Keep it up!

Am sure Gendermee can do the needful now to get the culprits nabbed!
Anything to help fellow BHPians.. we'r all family here!
Old 12th February 2008, 22:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Default We are truly a Family !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Anything to help fellow BHPians.. we'r all family here!
I will need around US$ 65,000/- next week !! Hope some 'family' members turn up !! Even some suggestions to see that figure would also be appreciated !! cheers:
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 22:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I will need around US$ 65,000/- next week !! Hope some 'family' members turn up !! Even some suggestions to see that figure would also be appreciated !!
Please wait...you are in the queue!!

(Its been a while since I asked Speedy to 'donate' a respectable quantity to me, since its a noble cause.. I'd love to see a beemer in my garage too!. )
Old 12th February 2008, 22:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

thes armr guys dont kmow the size of there trucks sometimes,once i saw an army truckhit the esteem besides it while taking a right turn and smashed it from the side
AMATMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 00:25   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
My car just got trashed from the back half an hour back.....the traffic police guys were like,"let them go coz they can register any thing" the Army Guys screaming like mad dogs wanted us to accept that it was our mistake and wouldnt let us go anywhere...accept out mistake that our car was not moving. Hell. It was a red signal...

(mods:If not the appropriate section please move it to the right one )
At the onset let me apologise for all the troubles you had to go through. Though it is more than a year back, better late than never.

Firstly you are right, things have reached an alarming level. It was a pure misnomer that our drivers could get away with anything, and it was exactly this complacency that things have reached to such a state that we have to come down heavily on accidents.

These days an accident involving a civil vehicle is viewed very seriously and stringent action taken. Plus there are some other issues involved, like proper training of the drivers, sufficient rest to the drivers, and then listing out the places and timings where the big truck should not be going and so on. I cant commit the exact time frame, we are working big time on it, but results should be visible on ground pretty soon.

There is a mystery surrounding the jurisdiction of the civil police over army and so on..rightly so and let the mystery continue. But let me get one thing straight. No one is above law, and that is what we are trying to grill into our drivers, respect the traffic rules, they are the law of the land and many a times are there for our own safety.

Lastly, all those choicest adjectives to describe the behaviour of army guys. Personally speaking I am not that annoyed the least. I might sound a bit vulgar, but its little heartening too. Dont get me wrong, but thats how we guys are trained, otherwise we will never have that aggression to face the enemy. An MMG(Medium Machine Gun) spewes out 1000 bullets per minute. A guy standing in front of it gets himself converted to a net. It requires someone out of his mind, someone crazy, an aggressive brat, to run towards an enemy sitting with an MMG.
Sadly, this aggressive nature also manifests in his normal routine behaviour too. Armies the world over have yet to find a medicine for this.

But this is not an excuse to misbehave with the public. Any one coming across such an incident, do make a not of the details of the guys and approach the officer concerned and rest be assured that action will be taken, usually immediately.
amsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 00:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

wow finally i belive we have somebody from the forces here ..
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 01:39   #42
BHPian

@amsang : Its a interesting read what you have to say. And the best part is you've been honest and straight forward. The only wrong I feel is you witheld information about the jurisdiction. But guess you had your reasons. You rather just communicate with the part involved via PM and try to get him the information he needs to get his matter sorted out. It may just not be for monatary reasons, he might have a battered ego just like the army boys. If civilians respect the army and hold high regards for it, we deserve the same respect back. I mean I always thought army brats might be brats but they are true gentlemen. Do share about your life in the army etc on the forum.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 01:48   #43

No..no there is nothing about jurisdiction...to hide about. Its plain and simple. the law of the land is above all. For example if we have a death case in the army area, it is investigated by the local police. Ofcourse there is an internal investigation of our own, but that is just to establish facts and take necessary action.
If damage to a vehicle, go as per the post of Nitin on this very page. That is to claim compensation. For any other incident just approach the concerned officer of that unit.
amsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 14:07   #44
Senior - BHPian

Civil police has jurisdiction in all civil accidents even if it involves Army Vehicles. Generally the issue gets resolved the moment it is reported to the concerned Unit. Not only accidents if you ahve any army guy getting nasty with you, ask for his number and unit. Reports even if made by post have been known to be dealt effectively by CO's. Discipline is enforced religiously. We ahve had cases where apart from disciplining the driver the amount paid as compensation is then deducted from his salary over a period of time. Please dont take indiscipline lying down but if you really think the Army Guy is on a wrong foot do report it in and rest assured that justice will be done.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote