Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st June 2008, 22:50   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
.... don't people know that if you have an airbag you should never have a child in front, much less sitting on another persons lap !....
Sadly, the answer is NO!

Most people do not know this - and thats why we need to help out by speading awareness about certain safety issues as part of being TBHPians.

Explain it to your family, make sure your friends understand, make sure your driver knows etc etc. Its something that needs to be explained just once and it could save a life.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd June 2008 at 00:40.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 23:02   #32
BHPian

I dont think they should have bought the airbag version in the first place, if this is how they are going to use it
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 00:36   #33
BHPian

Forget about airbags. Its an idiotic thing to do on public roads. Period.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 08:23   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
I thought this must be something that's definitely specified in Bold in the car manual, or atleast a basic warning provided to users when the car is sold to them.
It is, just as the health hazard warning is posted on all cigarette packs.

People read it and ignore it. and don't think they will change even after seeing a fatal crash. We are like that wonlee.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 23:17   #35
BHPian

mmmmmmmm this is what i saw today morning in ring road on my way to work in busy sarjapura/marathahalli/koramangala ringroad junction.........
Attached Images

bglsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 20:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

My 3 yrs old kid refuses to sit in one place more than 30 minutes on long travel. Just she keeps jumping to front and back seats & we forcibly attempt to make her sit on her mothers lap at front seat (with mother belting up).

Iam sure most of the kids does that & how you guys manage that? At what ages those child seats can be used?

Last edited by Surprise : 31st October 2009 at 20:27.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 20:34   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

if there are airbags, then the force with which the airbags deploy can kill small children.
Further any sudden braking can throw any one to the windscreen, and hence it is better to buckle up.

As a generic practice is better for the mother to sit with the child at the back, and restrain both by the seatbelt.

In India where emotions are foremost, it is a dream that we get to follow the safety norms.

Last edited by laluks : 31st October 2009 at 20:35.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 20:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
As a generic practice is better for the mother to sit with the child at the back, and restrain both by the seatbelt.
That's practically bit difficult when only both husband and wife travel with the kids. Definitely comfort has to be compromised for safety.

For bold part - How about kids less than 1.5 yrs?
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 20:49   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

you need to use the child seat and restrain the child seat with the seatbelt and the child by the belts in the child seat - ofcourse at the rear seats.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:29   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
if there are airbags, then the force with which the airbags deploy can kill small children.
Further any sudden braking can throw any one to the windscreen, and hence it is better to buckle up.

In India where emotions are foremost, it is a dream that we get to follow the safety norms.
Hello, I just came across this post. Have I understood this correctly...you want the mother to sit behind with the child in the lap and the seatbelt around both of the?

I believe this is wrong...in case the child has to sit on the lap, the seatbelt should be around the mother and NOT the child. In case of a collision, the mother could end up crushing the child against the seat belt. I read this somewhere.

Experts please comment.

regards
Debnjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 14:32   #41
BHPian

Default Child car seats

Quote:
I believe this is wrong...in case the child has to sit on the lap, the seatbelt should be around the mother and NOT the child. In case of a collision, the mother could end up crushing the child against the seat belt. I read this somewhere.

Experts please comment.
I'm not an expert, but I can say, this is wrong. There can't be any loose people on the car, front or rear, without seat belts. So having a baby/kid on a lap is definitely no. A seat belt that goes around the baby's neck is also a No. This is why we have rear-facing seats, combination seats and booster seats. I think anyone can google if they want to learn about them.

We are in India and I've learnt not to provide suggestions or advice to anybody on safety. People (irrespective of education levels) steadfastly refuse to wear seat belts saying its not applicable for Indian roads. Similarly air-bags are condescendingly dismissed as useless. So I believe in keeping safety practices to ourselves and not provide suggestions.

Which brings me to my actual question

I am looking to buy a car seat for my baby (0 months). There are two options I'm considering.

First one, I visited mothercare and found their in-house brand Seville, checkerboard model was good enough wrt to functionality and price. It is a combination, rear-facing till 9 months and then front-facing till 4 years. Has anyone else the same seat?

Second, the mee mee brand has a carrier cum rear facing seat. Since this only for infants, I guess it would become useless after a very short time, say 6-9 months.. but costs half of the first.

Any thoughts / advice from you guys is welcome. Specifically if someone had used any of the above and can chip-in with their experience, that would be fantastic and much appreciated.
GenuineOptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 17:53   #42
BHPian

I've seen so many instances even with Mothers ferrying their kids behind facing backwards, its so horrible to think if something worst happens!

Recently observed a man carrying a >2 year kid on his lap while driving his Santro. Damn, I was like

I've trained my 2.5yr kid to sit with the seat belts on and she herself reminds if i dont put mine But still its always bit scary to drive along with kids on highways!
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:28   #43
MX6
Senior - BHPian

If the child sits on the mother's lap, then the seat belt goes on the mother. The mother can wear a baby restraint on her person and put the baby seated on the lap with the restraint running around it. That way the seat belt holds the mother and the restraint holds the baby to the mother.

My daughter has been sitting on car seats since the age of 4 days old. She's covered over 30K on the road in last 1.5 years!
Absolutely no issues with the car seat. It's how we groom the children right from word go.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 20:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
If the child sits on the mother's lap, then the seat belt goes on the mother. The mother can wear a baby restraint on her person and put the baby seated on the lap with the restraint running around it. That way the seat belt holds the mother and the restraint holds the baby to the mother.

My daughter has been sitting on car seats since the age of 4 days old. She's covered over 30K on the road in last 1.5 years!
Absolutely no issues with the car seat. It's how we groom the children right from word go.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not an expert, but I can say, this is wrong. There can't be any loose people on the car, front or rear, without seat belts. So having a baby/kid on a lap is definitely no. A seat belt that goes around the baby's neck is also a No. This is why we have rear-facing seats, combination seats and booster seats. I think anyone can google if they want to learn about them.
very very important! and one doesn't have to be an expert to visualize what can happen in a head on collision.

I have seen people thinking the child and mother together in the belt would be safer. In case of a head on collision, the child would be crushed between the belt and the mother (tons of force due to high rate of deceleration)
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 21:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineOptimist View Post
We are in India and I've learnt not to provide suggestions or advice to anybody on safety.
Just the other day while returning from a cousins engagement party I noticed my first cousin in his wife's i20 with his 6 year old on his lap hoding the steering wheel while dad indulged by operating the pedals etc. The next day I called him and gave him an ear full. He did not turn up for the wedding Called him on his cell and his wife answered saying that he is put off but acknowledged that what I said was right and she did advise him accordingly in the past but to no avail. Assured her that I cared two hoots as to how he felt and that if required I would give him another dosage. Needless to say he did appear at the reception yesterday. We discussed a lot of things but the not the 'episode'. So that one is settled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineOptimist View Post
I am looking to buy a car seat for my baby (0 months). There are two options I'm considering.

First one, I visited mothercare and found their in-house brand Seville, checkerboard model was good enough wrt to functionality and price. It is a combination, rear-facing till 9 months and then front-facing till 4 years. Has anyone else the same seat?

Second, the mee mee brand has a carrier cum rear facing seat. Since this only for infants, I guess it would become useless after a very short time, say 6-9 months.. but costs half of the first.

Any thoughts / advice from you guys is welcome. Specifically if someone had used any of the above and can chip-in with their experience, that would be fantastic and much appreciated.
I believe MX6 JR. uses mothercare seats, see her dad's post below maybe he can elaborate more. IMHO it will be better to get the mothercare seat as your child will be more comfortable due to the familiarity factor as he/she moves from the rear facing position to a front facing one in the same seat.

OR let your child choose. Put him/her into both of the seats one by one and see the reaction etc. Pick the seat that elicits a better reaction/response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Rightly said MX6. My nephews on their trips here would raise a hue and cry if the car moved with anyone sitting unbelted whether in the front or the rear. Similarly they would not let anyone unbuckle before the car came to a complete halt and the engine turned off. It is inbuilt into their school curriculum but they way they made a noise about it made me proud They do take after their uncle.

Last edited by khoj : 23rd November 2010 at 21:09.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote