Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 15th February 2008, 23:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down Almost had a hit and then a tiff!!!!

Hey fellow petrol-heads!

When will these nasty people learn to drive and respect the lanes and the people on other rides. I had a close shave with a white Opel Astra ( KA - 01 Z- 25 ) friday night and whoa whoa!! damn those volatile guys who instead of apologising counter attacked me verbally. Gosh these insane drivers in Bangalore are on the rise much to the frustration of souls like me.

I had promised my mom and wifey for a Kulfi treat @Bowrings Institute and so we went for a drive at around 9pm today. After crossing Forum and closer to the signal stop near Bosch this Astra appeared out of no where from the left and actually crossed over to the right coming very close just a few inches to our surprise. My wife and mom both got terrified the way that guy swerved all of a sudden and given my wife's background who is the daughter of an ACP in Mumbai she was all set to give the guys a little piece of her mind .However when she rolled down her window the guys in the Opel instead of apologising started questioning and the guy next to the driver started making hand gestures where she just rolled her windows up and thought that there was no point in talking to these guys as they would not care for their own lives with the way they were driving, to this she thought it ended.
However the guys came more close this time all through the stretch until Bowring's Institute and provoking me and showing all kinds of hand gestures without any remorse or regret on their faces. I wanted to really abuse them and give a glimpse of my anger but controlled it as my wifey does not appreciate using any profanity and also with both mom and her with me, i remained a frustrated silent spectator of those morons 3rd graded cheap thrills spewed @ me. Much to my dismay these guys would not stop at that and then i rolled down the windows and wanted to tell them what they were upto however my wife said that it was not worth talking to these guys and man o man i was so cursing myself to have gone through all this even without my mistake. I think seeing my ride they got a bit jealous and i think they lost it....

But then again i cooled down and did not want to spoil my evening that i promised my wifey and mom. All i can think of that is to do this to those morons but again its a thought wasted. Honestly, why do people behave in such a demonic way and cant stand up to acknowledge about the mistakes they commit.

I just love my ride and my people more than anything else and common sense prevailed not to aggravate the situation but am still frustrated for the simple fact that inanity ruled period and going into the night will put in the tough chambers of my mind and sleep over it.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 15th February 2008 at 23:22.
Old 16th February 2008, 00:04   #2
BANNED

Unfortunate incident. Usually people have their own business & mind it. Are you sure nothing happened between you car & their's before you realized the tiff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
After crossing Forum and closer to the signal stop near Bosch this Astra appeared out of no where from the left and actually crossed over to the right coming very close just a few inches to our surprise.
Old 16th February 2008, 00:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Just another bunch of sadist morons on the road!

It is difficult to control our anger when dealing with such idiots, but when you are with family, better not to get involved, you did the right thing!
Old 16th February 2008, 00:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thats the perfect way for someone to mess up your mind,and spoil the mood for the remainder of the day.

I had a similar experience here in Houston, a month ago. We were travelling in my brother's car,and this pick up truck tries to swerve left & right screeching right at the boot of cars in front of them. It totally angered me,and all I did was turn back and look at the guys. They begin showing me the finger,and kept on trying to catch up with us. Finally, they pull along side in the next lane,and the driver (a young redneck,probably 20-25 years of age) goes on abusing us,and trying to taunt us. This goes on for a good 4-5 minutes. All of a sudden,we spotted a cop standing in the driveway of a business complex,and these punks act as if nothing happened,and they drive away. The moron got to hurl dirt at us,and we were the ones sitting in the car feeling miserable. Since our wives were in the car,we decided to play it safe.
Better to ignore these crazy characters, than face the wrath of worthless congenital idiots!
Old 16th February 2008, 00:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Diabloo: He came in abruptly to his right even when there was no space as i was in my lane and then i blinked my lights and honked which i suppose anyone would do and damn those morons they take offence...whoa whoa...i suppose its me who should take offence but man you can never take on such volatile souls who are very intransigent.

@finney: Yea it was a sad incident but i was in such a frustration with those guys coming back @ me and looking @ their demonic guts without any remorse it tore me apart as to why this had to happen, but lucky me my wifey cooled me down else i guess i would have had a go @ them...

@Nitin : Such incidents are definitely on the rise no matter one is in Bangalore or in your case Houston and i think its people like those weirdo's who dont give a damn about their lives nor the lives of others and its a sorry state of affairs and above all the attitude of people. Its shocking to me to say the least as sometimes mistakes do happen and all it takes for a MAN is to stand up to accept that YEAH! BUDDY I MADE A MISTAKE and i expected that, which was never on the agenda for them infact it ticked me off with those dudders coming back @ me.
Old 16th February 2008, 03:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is more common with more Astra's Cielo's etc as they are very easily available at very cheap prices in the used car market. Usually some end up buying these to exhibit impression of prosperity, without showing the signs of acquiring culture on the way to it.

You can spot these guys even without saying a word to them, and its better advises to keep away. However, since you have the registration number and given your Wife's connections, could you report reckless driving case on that car.
Old 16th February 2008, 03:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

There's a fine line between being a driver & being a sensible driver. Making a mistake is ok,to acknowledge that is something out of this world.. How many people actually take responsibility for their mistakes. In India,the 1st thing that happens is that the tables turn the other way,and you are finally at fault.

If it comes to something drastic,note down the license plates of such cars/bikes and if it helps,take things forward to another level.

Might be illegal,but my classmate in college almost got hit by an Esteem near the KH Road -Residency rd junction. He noted the plate number,and using some influence,he managed to get the address of the person driving the Esteem. He took a bunch of friends and went over and tried to put sense into the youngster's head. It worked,and the latter has apparently been quite a sedate drive since then.
Old 16th February 2008, 08:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

@1100D: Yea the morons that were in the corsa surely lacked the culture and remorse and regret not even remotely visible on their faces. Not thought about reporting as of now however will see if my frustration still persists and then book them for sure. The only agonising fact is that anybody can be in my situation and even those morons on a bad day might find in my shoes.
Old 16th February 2008, 08:20   #9
Team-BHP Support

Uncultured morons like these can be found in just about every city in India. It's we, the better educated class that has to compromise so that things don't flare up further.
Old 16th February 2008, 08:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
There's a fine line between being a driver & being a sensible driver. Making a mistake is ok,to acknowledge that is something out of this world.. How many people actually take responsibility for their mistakes. In India,the 1st thing that happens is that the tables turn the other way,and you are finally at fault.

If it comes to something drastic,note down the license plates of such cars/bikes and if it helps,take things forward to another level.

@Nitin : Yea ! Being sensible behind the wheel and above all being cultured and disciplined is a far cry for some people. I have predominantly noted down in Bangalore that some people are so volatile and come back @ you for no fault of our own and the only mantra they follow is that talking aloud in kannada abusing the victim making it look like they are right and the others are wrong and unfortunately just like me many other souls who are not well versed in kannada bear the brunt. I guess their inner conscience is all dead a way too long back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Uncultured morons like these can be found in just about every city in India. It's we, the better educated class that has to compromise so that things don't flare up further.
Yea Aditya every nook and corner in india has these kind of morons and educated and sensible class will always be victimised and i did not want to flare things up and remained calm...the only thought that flashed me was whoa whoa....wish i had the company of other team-bhpians or pals for that matter without my family.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 16th February 2008 at 08:37.
Old 16th February 2008, 09:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

VJ, sorry to hear about the frustrating incident & I must congratulate you on the restraint that you displayed. Glad that it didn't snowball into anything further.

Sometimes its very difficult to walk away especially when you know that you were in the right. However, given the number of moronic wastrels driving about on the streets these days, its better to walk away.

Take care mate.
Old 16th February 2008, 09:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

very unfortunate incident VJ. people will never accept a fault / mistake when they make it. and yes, the standard approach here is to blame the other guy - turn the whole dam table!

being here has another disadvantage to it, if you don't speak kannada, you are in dead trouble. even if the other person is an educated person (with all those tie / cooling glass / and all accessories you can think of which might lead you to mistake him for a cultured fellow) he will stand there as if he does not understand a word of English and stick to kannada. Maybe this is just to get support. To top this, I know few of my Mallu friends who also resort to this tactic just because of their fluency in the language!

i recently had a guy, who tried to squeeze his bike between another car and my car (both traveling on opposite directions); it resulted in his handle hitting my side mirror and breaking it. that moron did not even bother to acknowledge or for that fact even give a second look!
Old 16th February 2008, 09:42   #13
BANNED

I have advise for you. It is better not to do what 1100D did. That guy could also find your address and come with an army of friends and beat you up.

I think that is gang like attitude. If there was no accident, just leave it.

Driving on the road is dangerous and many people do not know how to cut lanes.

btw what car do you own ? If it was fast, you could have shot by them and proved it, you have a better car and you are a better driver.
Old 16th February 2008, 10:37   #14
BHPian

Not nice to hear such incidents but one sees these happening more often these days.

Better to play safe & back off when someone tries to provoke. They could very well be doing it only to create a scene especially when one is driving with women in the car.

Last edited by theexister : 16th February 2008 at 10:41.
Old 16th February 2008, 10:37   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ignorance is the best comeback to these types. Especially when you are with your family, just drive on.
Closed Thread