Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 18th February 2008, 16:36   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking

@tsk: Lucky you. These things can be really nasty. And yes, Indicas are built like tanks, so you'd be assured on that account!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Rocks on the roads are a big menace indeed.
Its a good thing you were in a car. I can tell you what the experience would have been had you been on a two wheeler.
BTDT, even with dogs alive as well as dead ones that "bounced" off a tyre truck towards my bike These days the regular bounces on MG road have lessened courtesy some action finally by DMRC.

I can only suggest that the HIDs you put may wonlee be used only when absoltely necessary, and preferably only on the left side and adjusted to least blind the right side - stock car bulbs are enough for most shadows on the right edge to get picked up.

Else given our roads and the HID prices, the day is not far when a platina dude runs about with HIDs. That would be horrific.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 16:39   #17
BHPian

normally_crazy,

Yes I should have never followed the truck closely, a lesson learnt hard. But I am sure the rock did not fall off that truck, else I would have noticed it.

Guys,
Planning to go to the service center tomorrow with the following to-check:

1) TieRods
2) Steering Linkage
3) Suspensions
4) Brakes
5) Sump

Please let me know what other should be checked.
Rocky_Balboa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 16:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sad incident but happens, good you didnt stop in the middle of nowhere, could have been deliberate.

For people who travel at night, please get foglamps installed in the bumpers (if you have the slot) and switch them on.

Atleast you'll see the roads better.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 16:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

You should rename this thread to "tsk on the rocks - shaken, but not stirred"
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 16:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

this is funny, but not a good time to rub the salt in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 17:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
anyways I did not stop there and just prayed that I reach the police checkpost, its not a good idea to stop on that highway.

2 kms hence at the checkpost I got down, and looked underneath, with
You did the right thing. Never know, who places such stones and what their intentions are.
shyamhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 17:03   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I had a truck, then this would have been the title. but since the crossmember had to be replaced I would say somewhat stirred too.
First the tie rod gets bent because the road gives away, and now this
Two road related accidents in a matter of a month.

Luckily labor charges in Noida sector 16 rarely exceed 200rs, and Tata prices their parts really cheap.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 17:18   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey TSK, Glad to hear that no one was hurt and that you weren't stranded on the road either. I have had a similar circumstance twice in my driving career, both of which were about a decade back. The first was in my Esteem on the Bombay - Nasik highway. The exhaust went bust and the flooring got bent! But the car was perfectly driveable so we made it safely back home.

The second time was in my Jeep. Ummm....I think the rock broke .

Quote:
Thats a classic man! Sheer classic Steeroid.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 17:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

TSK, good that you came out safe. better was your presence of mind not to stop there.

remember a year and half back, driving from krishnagiri to bangalore, there was a truck which was parked on the left side of the road and that guy had placed a rock on teh center of the road! notice it too late and bang, the left wheel went on top of it. was doing 100kmph. no flying no screeching.

tyre broke, rim bend! had to stop immediately and change and proceed.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 19:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Good that you came out safe without any damages

Is it advisable continuing driving without checking about the damages that had happened? What are the things that needed to be checked in such scenarios?

Just wanted to get some idea to get prepared for such situations
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 19:17   #26
BHPian

I too encountered a similar incident a year ago on the Mysore-KRS road in my 800. It was dark and this slab of stone was placed in the inclined road and I ran into it at around 80 Kmph. Result was a burst tyre, twisted wheel and shocked expressions on my and my passengers' faces!
With the number of insensitive people on our roads, its no surprise reading about similar experiences.
gt_bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 19:34   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Good that you came out safe without any damages

Is it advisable continuing driving without checking about the damages that had happened? What are the things that needed to be checked in such scenarios?

Just wanted to get some idea to get prepared for such situations
Well on a lonely highway you try and get to as far as you can go.
You may damage your car more, but stopping can mean you are murdered, as the rocks could have been placed deliberately.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 19:44   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks god nothing happened to you Tanveer. My cousin had a similar accident on bike he wa right behind me while i could see the rock he couldn't, the engine casing broke & all oil got drained but the bike manged to run another 50 kms to reach home.

As about string built. a decade back we were going to shirdi in a 75 model premier padmini & it was dark & we were at aorund 90 which was lot for the car & there was a bridge ahead which was at a lower level, when we came close we were terrified to see that the actual bridge was around5-6inches higher than road, the car jumped in air & landed.Surprisingly no damage at all to the Tank
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 23:51   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Well on a lonely highway you try and get to as far as you can go.
You may damage your car more, but stopping can mean you are murdered, as the rocks could have been placed deliberately.
Umm yes, I know of a couple that was murdered in exactly the same fashion in north gujarat (close to shamlaji) - late night, forest roads, and some tribal boys put stones like the above, one car passed, the second one crashed, whereupon the tribals descended, took away what they could find, and left the young kid to watch his parents pass away.

In desolate areas,stopping is NOT an option.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 10:54   #30
BHPian

Quote:
THats taking too much of a chance. Where did you find engine oil in the middle of the forest at that time ? And how did the Forest Guards let a private car through at night? You really shouldnt have carried on.
Its long story..here we go.
I usually drive back home (BLR - CLT) after my office at around 5 Pm on Friday when we can join a couple of leaves and take a 4 day break. Reach the Mysore road at 6 to 6.30 pm. This was the first time that I was driving home with my wife after getting married.My parents have adviced against driving in the night! I am driving at 100-120 Kms speed a little after Nanjangod, was blinded by an oncoming car on High beams, failed to see the rock on the road left by some truckwala. couldnot do much and the rock hit the steel plate at the bottom and I continued to drive because I had hit the plates a couple of times before at that speed when villagers keep adding new speed breakers between Gundelpet and Bandipur forest. At gundelpet around 9.30 pm we had tea and when I started the car I could see the OIL empty light blink on my dashboard. Called up the Hyundai service centre, they said they cannot service that location and asked me to carry on till Sultan Bathery where I might get help. The workshops were closed for the day. Since my wife was with me, so did not want to take any cance of looking for an accomodation. Also the next day was "Harthal" in Kerala.Later I realised that this was a stupid decison. I bought a 5 Lt can of 15W40 oil from the BP bunk, poured 3 Lts into the engine and kept 2 lts with me( I can see the oil draining out now!) generally oil will leak from the sump when the car is idleing or stationary, when the car is revved up the oil is always at the head of the engine. So drive down at a high speed. Passed the forest area and Kerala Border, reached Sulthan Bathery in less that 30mts, despite the bad roads. There I bought 3 more litres of 15W40, poured and continued to drive. we reached the Ghat section which is less than 50 Kms from my house. There something worst happened. I must have driven on this road more than 100 times, never seen a major traffic jam on the ghats. There were vehicles piled up on the ghats barely moving and my engine is leakingand had only 2lts of engine oil left. It was around 12 pm and I was stuck on the Ghats with all the oil leaked out. So Finally I call my dad who picked up the oil and reached me by 3.am and all the time my wifey and myself were stuck with no one in sight (by this time the pileup had eased). That the last time my wifey and me drove back home at night!
abhilashvk is offline   Reply With Quote