Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2011, 10:52   #1816
BHPian
 
aqualeo2040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Back 2 Bangy
Posts: 413
Thanked: 246 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Devil,


Let me refresh your memory with the 3 pics below. Something is really funny with the mirrors!



Yes, instincts are good. However, sometimes, all the instincts in the world will not prep you enough because 'There are idiots on the road'.

I am not the model rider either and yet I find it really uncomfortable to ride/drive without my mirrors. Must be a psychological thingy. But I would really like to know for sure that I dont get rear ended. The last time I had such a scare when I saw a Indicab fishtailing behind me. Thankfully I always keep a lil more gap in front than necessary. That saved me the cost of a damaged rear bumper. Sooner or later, our luck runs out.

The fact is though that your kids might not be blessed with the same instincts as you. Would you like to be responsible for anything they did? Each person has his or her own limitations. Its just an idea to be aware of things which we cant control.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-jpeg-image-212763.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-jpeg-image-511456.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-jpeg-image-548392.jpg  


Last edited by bblost : 24th April 2011 at 12:35. Reason: Edited a slightly graphic description. Please avoid in future. Thanks.
aqualeo2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 13:28   #1817
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

This is becoming rather strange, however, before I ruin my/or anyone elses Sunday, here are my 2 cents for the last time.

Anekho : I have had accidents, on motorcycles, one too many (before someone may add, without hitting ANYONE ELSE), and will continue to do so, because that is just how I ride, and am sorry to disagree with you, but I ALWAYS know when accidents happen, its called Instinct. A concept which seems to be lost on everyone who bad mouths a "non text book" follower. This thread is about DRIVING, and I NEVER push my cars to the extent of I do with the Motorcycles because I dont enjoy it.

I am sorry, but I dont need a wikipedia's scientifically appropriate explanation to handle slicks in wet weather, I learnt that the hard way and am glad to be able to implement it when it matters. Where people maybe grew up reading how to drive safe, I grew up reading how to drive/ride fast, come rain or sunshine and using slicks in wet weather was part of it. Safety was an envelope around it, not the prime focus. Perhaps that's what helped.

THANK YOU for having put forth a constructive form of criticism as opposed to the hitherto received strangeness, to agree with you yes, Handling is GREATLY affected, stability goes for a toss, and it is poor vehicle maintenance. Perhaps that's what helps to mould skill levels, who knows, I cant answer why I have no issues with control (scientific), perhaps someone can explain.

Reaction time on following closely causing potential accidents: ABSOLUTELY. I dont condone it and this is by far the toughest trick in the book I have applied on someone and even though it can be done, I have never taught this to people in spite of having been asked to.

BBlost: And your point is? also excuse me, but I dont eat and drive, that was a retort to someone being sarcy with me, read my post again. And if your "what you did to him when you caught up with him" is some form of a threat, let me know when you want to attempt it on me.

IrornH4wk : Thank you for your attempt at restoring sanity, but I suggest you let it be and watch peoples true colours come out. Meet may not happen because I prefer to ride/drive alone for the past couple of years but I will be happy to catch up for a coffee. I pass a lot of cars/bikes with the Team-bhp sticker when am ouot driving/riding. Will surely stop by at the next Kamats or Coffee Days on the respective highway.

Aqualeo : You have the pics???? How come I havent seen them! I want I want I want!

Also, my bad, I didnt recall the RVMs were out (am guessing it must have been around the time they forced me to have them open), by the way, leave RVMs out of this, the cars have them open thanks to the pressure, and the bikes dont have them at all! I will keep it that way.

Whilst I dont see the corelation between rear ending and RVMs I wont bad mouth it because as I have been saying all along: "Whatever helps to stay safe out on the roads!", its just what works for you may not work for me! Hence we shouldnt generalise (which is the BASIS of my posts in this thread).

Kids and Instinct: I know where you are coming from having suffered from that theory myself (forced to use RVMs, excessive spending on safety gear etc all because I went through the "the kid may not have the same instincts as me" attitude). I understand the love behind it and comply for that sake. I hope my kids will do the same, and if they find using RVMs or driving 2 handed helps them, I will ensure they have the best possible RVMs money can buy and the latest in driver media interface to assist them. Does that mean my kids are poor/good drivers? NO, it means they are choosing to use what works for THEM. Rather than generalising and saying this is good, this is bad.

This post is useless unless people stop their selective reading and focus on where I have ONLY said that the GENERALISATION is incorrect. I havent debated on the whether it is safer to use technology, it IS. I am only saying that someone who does NOT use that technology, shouldnt be branded a "poor driver".
DevilsOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 14:03   #1818
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
This post is useless unless people stop their selective reading and focus on where I have ONLY said that the GENERALISATION is incorrect. I havent debated on the whether it is safer to use technology, it IS. I am only saying that someone who does NOT use that technology, shouldnt be branded a "poor driver".
Man I have never seen anyone trying so desperately to defend their driving habits!

Dude! If the generalizations don't apply to you, it does not mean that the generalizations are incorrect.
These generalizations apply to 99.99999% of the people. When you claim to belong to 0.00001% of the people, you should understand that people will be wary of your claims.

Anyway, you be happy with your bald smoking tires! More to keep the car and bike shining, right! But you can not defeat the generalizations by claiming to be an exception.

Am out.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 14:12   #1819
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,662 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
BBlost: And your point is? also excuse me, but I dont eat and drive, that was a retort to someone being sarcy with me, read my post again. And if your "what you did to him when you caught up with him" is some form of a threat, let me know when you want to attempt it on me.
Hey..

Its not a threat directed against you or anyone else.

Its just that if a bad driver tries to kill or injure me. I explain it to them why its a bad idea.

Peace.

But I am just a little curios. How do you know when an accident is happening. When exactly does this instinct kick in.
Is it before you start skidding, while you skidding or after you get up(hopefully intact).

Last edited by bblost : 24th April 2011 at 14:15.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 14:14   #1820
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

This debate is pointless without a direction.

To each his own. Be safe out there! Peace.

BBlost: Sorry, my bad. I may have misunderstood it in the midst of all the love being showered on me off late! No offense meant, or taken.

If you are serious about your question, instinct kicks in a good 2 seconds (maybe a millionth here and there) BEFORE ANYTHING happens (no skidding, no situation, no nothing.), and I know I HAVE to take corrective measures otherwise am in for it. (When I started riding I used to ignore the feeling, but as time went on and the broken bones piled on, I learnt to listen to it and follow it and havent crashed a bike in years, and a car - never. Hence I am perhaps defensive of those instincts whereas a lot of time technology has failed me.

Anyway, I dont think I will be coming back here, the Motorcycles section feels like home.

Hasta la Victoria Siempre!

Last edited by bblost : 24th April 2011 at 21:17. Reason: back to back. Please use edit when available. Thanks.
DevilsOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 14:59   #1821
BHPian
 
Arkin evoisrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KA03; AP02
Posts: 680
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
What I did when I caught up with him is a different story altogether. But we definitely did not have chai together. Though it must have involved him getting his car cleaned later. Rice split would attract rodents.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
Arkin :I urge you to refrain from such baseless accusations.
I do not feel my "accusations" are baseless, but going by your posts you seem to be an exception.
2. Is it because you HAVE had accidents? Is it because you do NOT have instincts and have found using technology and "recommended" driving do's to aid you?
Remember. Accidents are a matter of luck even when a driver is perfectly driving safe.



By the way, just to repeat myself in a different way in the hope that at least SOMEONE understands, even having a 0 accident record is no big deal, I know some really poor drivers who have maintained that even while frying their clutches every 10k because they dont even know to shift.

Well, I can either consider you lucky, or as an exception then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
OT: I think I may have been a bit harsh on one of the members, (I think his name is Arkin(??), just saw your other post (was it you) on the minor getting assaulted. .......... . I do say continue to stand up against people peeing on the frikkin walls of this once beautiful city, or what you believe is right. Your parents ought to be proud of you.
Yeah, that's me. I was punched in the stomach on Friday, whenb I went to help a young gent who was getting roughed up for making a guy pissing on the footpath to stop. Unfortunately the thread got deleted.
Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
@Devilsown: if you can, please try to make it to the next meet. would certainly love to meet you in person
+1. Let me know when the next meet is Anil.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 24th April 2011 at 15:00. Reason: Correcting quote, thanks.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 16:11   #1822
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,457
Thanked: 3,614 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Let me refresh your memory with the 3 pics below. Something is really funny with the mirrors!
just curious, what do those three pictures signify?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
NO, it means they are choosing to use what works for THEM. Rather than generalising and saying this is good, this is bad.

I havent debated on the whether it is safer to use technology, it IS. I am only saying that someone who does NOT use that technology, shouldnt be branded a "poor driver".
+1. people who don't use/have day/night RVM, reverse sensors, parking assist or any other driving aids are not necessarily bad drivers. however, having these driving aids (or the lack of) and if one drives rashly putting other people in danger - THAT makes you a bad driver!


Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
But I am just a little curios. How do you know when an accident is happening. When exactly does this instinct kick in.
Is it before you start skidding, while you skidding or after you get up(hopefully intact).
if i may, it is before you start skidding - if one is a seasoned driver/rider one would know when you've pushed you luck too far.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 16:18   #1823
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Want an example of a bad driver? Well, it's not hard to find them. You meet them everyday. And on some unlucky days, you get too close for comfort. Ask me, I've been a victim despite my 'Christian' driving habits.

So my father and I got into our Civic this afternoon. Our plan was to head to KGA for lunch, and just as I set off, I realized that I had left my sun-glasses at home. So I took the next left turn and headed back home.

We were just two roads away from home and barely doing 15 km in 2nd gear. We generally drive this way in Indiranagar, knowing fully well that there are idiots on chamber-ed RX-100s and Citys with FFEs flying on these roads on a regular basis. Ask fellow BHPian Krraj, he would echo my opinion.

Anyhoo, I noticed this Swift parked very awkwardly on the street. It looked like he wanted to take a right into one of the by-lanes but was completely stationary. I stuck to the left side of the road and honked a couple of times to let the Swift guy know that I'm on the left side; and continued to crawl towards our house when suddenly I felt something hit the car.

I stepped out of the car and the first thing I saw was this massive graze along the front door and the rear door. I was so miffed I went straight to the guy and ordered him to get out of the car. After 5 minutes, he got out and started arguing with me.

According to him, WE hit HIM when he was trying to take the turn!

Here is a rough representation of what happened:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-incident.jpg

I felt like landing a couple of blows but then better sense prevailed. I tried to remain calm and tried reasoning it out with him but he didn't even acknowledge his mistake here. It's a fact that he didn't notice my car and decided to turn left without even looking! He refused to accept it!

When I told him that we were going slowly and we kept to the left, he said that it was wrong on our part to keep to the left!!!

Now what do we do with such people? I've decided to take it with a pinch of salt. You just can't change some people.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-24042011250.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-24042011251.jpg  

suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 17:05   #1824
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,457
Thanked: 3,614 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I've been a victim despite my 'Christian' driving habits.
easy on the religion bro; Jesus many not like it!
on second thoughts, he may forgive you today being Easter and all

with regards to the accident, forgive the bloke and go home. at night send a hit squad! (wishful thinking)
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 17:10   #1825
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
easy on the religion bro; Jesus many not like it!
on second thoughts, he may forgive you today being Easter and all
Oh no no H4WK! When I say that I'm a 'Christian-motorist', it just means that I follow the rules of the road and respect other road users at all times. I've been drilled as a child to be like that, and I have only my parents to thank.

On a different note, Happy Easter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
with regards to the accident, forgive the bloke and go home. at night send a hit squad! (wishful thinking)
Yup. I'm still working on the 'sharp-shooters-on-balconies' project
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 17:15   #1826
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Ouch Suhaas. That's gotta hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
with regards to the accident, forgive the bloke and go home. at night send a hit squad! (wishful thinking)
If you want to pursue IronH4wk's suggestion further, then the owner of the car is some Mrs. Zohra Yusuf (courtesy btis.in/rto)

Cheers
Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 17:21   #1827
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Thank you Amitoj Bhai. We've got his details, ph. number et al; and he said that he will get his insurance to take care of it. Let's see where it takes us from here.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 17:21   #1828
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 516
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

^^^ See, the Swift has its Left RVMs open - still he hit you.
Bad drivers are always Bad Drivers - whatever safety aids you give them - sigh!!!
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 17:30   #1829
BHPian
 
Arkin evoisrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KA03; AP02
Posts: 680
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Want an example of a bad driver? Well, it's not hard to find them. You meet them everyday. And on some unlucky days, you get too close for comfort. Ask me, I've been a victim despite my 'Christian' driving habits.

When I told him that we were going slowly and we kept to the left, he said that it was wrong on our part to keep to the left!!!

Now what do we do with such people? I've decided to take it with a pinch of salt. You just can't change some people.
Is he the bad driver in question here?
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-24042011251.jpg
My advice: Go to the cops and register a complaint. Apparently you have photographic evidence, and the ID of the protagonist of the crime.
Your case is sealed.

Oh boy am I jealous of you! If only I had the ID of my assailants.

EDIT: Just read that the guy will get his insurance to cover it. So I guess you can ignore the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
^^^ See, the Swift has its Left RVMs open - still he hit you.
Bad drivers are always Bad Drivers - whatever safety aids you give them - sigh!!!
You've got it all wrong.
No Seatbelts/helmets + Indicators + RVMs etc. = almost definitely a bad driver.
Using Seatbelts/helmets + Indicators + RVMs etc. = may or may not be a bad driver.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 24th April 2011 at 17:35.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 17:42   #1830
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 516
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Using Seatbelts/helmets + Indicators + RVMs etc. = may or may not be a bad driver.
Doesn't my statement mean exactly the same? 'A bad driver IS a bad driver - even if the RVM is open.'
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them rajeev k Street Experiences 88 18th September 2017 13:31
Official Sign / Code when you spot another T-Bhpian on Road Otomobil Shifting gears 85 10th February 2011 19:58
5009 KMS-A'bad-Calicut-Bangy-Hyd-Aur'Bad-A'Bad-Report ramkya1 Travelogues 48 4th August 2010 00:04
A bad bad bad night for me.... Ranjan Sharma Street Experiences 38 8th April 2010 12:02
My accident - Bad brakes, bad rain, bad luck... vezj420 Street Experiences 41 22nd May 2007 10:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks