Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2011, 12:17   #1936
BHPian
 
gtonsing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 289
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalson View Post
Hi Damu,

I saw a female in a white Wagon R, on my left, and CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS? She was texting furiously on her mobile and inching forward. I actually saw her eyes riveted on her mobile for at least 6 seconds and all the while her car was moving forward. Tell me please, how to react to this situation?
I got one better. yesterday I had gone to Koramangala so was coming via Sarjapura Junction to my workplace in Ecospace. In the section where they are building the flyover just before ecospace u-turn, the road has been narrowed to a single lane. There was this lady in an Alto. Seat belt on. She had clear glass and was not very bad looking so I paid a little more attention. Then the traffic stopped. Guess what she did? Reached over her bag, picked out a book (the Bhagavat Gita) and started reading it. She didnt stop reading even in the stop-go traffic till the U-Turn point where I had to take it and didnt find out how long she continued reading.
What was she thinking??!!!
gtonsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 12:26   #1937
Senior - BHPian
 
anilisanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,435
Thanked: 287 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I got one better. yesterday I had gone to Koramangala so was coming via Sarjapura Junction to my workplace in Ecospace. In the section where they are building the flyover just before ecospace u-turn, the road has been narrowed to a single lane. There was this lady in an Alto. Seat belt on. She had clear glass and was not very bad looking so I paid a little more attention. Then the traffic stopped. Guess what she did? Reached over her bag, picked out a book (the Bhagavat Gita) and started reading it. She didnt stop reading even in the stop-go traffic till the U-Turn point where I had to take it and didnt find out how long she continued reading.
What was she thinking??!!!
So she is seeking instant karma for her sins. Committing a sin and reading Gita simultaneously, God must be really confused on what to do about what she did, you are just a mortal and I can understand your confusion!!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 13:09   #1938
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,629
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

~Fingering and controlled agression~

Yesterday on our way to Aundh on a lovely four laned road. A bike with three fellows were riding on the right lane. So i followed my protocol and honked a polite 1 short honk. No response from the three monkey's. Then i did step two thats 2 short honks. This time i got a middle finger from the pillion in the middle. Ofcourse this pissed me off. But i just moved to step 3 and that was 2 long honks. The middle finger came up again from the idiot in the middle. But better sense prevailed from the rider and he moved left to allow me to pass. I was furious at the finger shown twice. But decided to refrain from foul language or road bullying. What i did instead was give a long hard stare at the nutcase, who in turn made a kya hua gesture. I just continued to stare and so the whacko did not know what to do he just shut up and looked away while i sped off.

If you look at the numbers i was just a single guy with my wife and baby at the back whereas they were three of them. Definately did not want to get into a fight. But wanted to make sure that such behaviour is just not acceptable. Hope i got the message across.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 13:21   #1939
BHPian
 
Arkin evoisrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KA03; AP02
Posts: 680
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
saw this literate idiot in EC1 when i was RTB. since the Indica was parked that way on the right, the cement truck had to slow down a bit to pass it since there were vehicles coming from opposite side

another idiot found in Kasturinagar. he waited till the last minute to get back to his lane. before the auto, he almost hit a two wheeler coming from the opposite side.



@naveen_raju: this is a regular feature of Bangalore traffic
Back to what you do best apart from spotting eh??
These infants driving sky blue vans don't seem very safe drivers eh.
BTW, I feel like skinning the Getz guy alive.
The opp. side thingy is at it's peak at the Jayanagar lalbagh junction, where even bmtc buses go onto the narrow opp. side.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 20th May 2011 at 13:26.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 13:37   #1940
BHPian
 
alavandar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 168
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalson View Post
Hi All Team BHPians,


That was the last straw. I calmly asked my wife to take the kid and go have a cup of coffee in the nearest hotel and went after those 2 guys. Caught the 407 guy at the traffic signal in TVS tollgate. Tore open the driver side door, climbed into the cabin and beat the **** out of that guy. Then ran to my car, i had kept the engine running, and went after the alwyn nissan guy. Caught him too, at the railway junction bridge. There was traffic cop there and lot of vehicles waiting at the traffic signal. I didn't care and went to the driver's side, yanked his door open, pulled him out and beat him mercilessly. But on seeing the traffic cop (who was simply standing at his spot and watching us) he managed to pull himself free and ran to him. When the cop asked me what it was about i told him the whole story. But the alwyn nissan driver had the audacity to tell me to just file a complaint with the cop and let him go. This made me more furious. I picked up a big stone, smashed all the headlight lamps, tail lights, indicators and both the ORVMs and then asked the alwyn nissan driver to file a complaint against me. The traffic cop simply asked the truck driver to leave the place and he let me too to go.

Today, when i recall that incident, i am ashamed of my behavior. I am sorry that i too was reckless in my own way.
Nothing to feel bad about. You had acted in a soldierly instinct, the lack of it in everyone means slavery to the nation. Some times people understand only if they are given back the same coin. Uneducated and young drivers get carried away when they get behind the wheels. I could imagine how much your wife and child would have worried about you till you came back from the charge of the light brigade!
alavandar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 15:42   #1941
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 516
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
saw this literate idiot in EC1 when i was RTB. since the Indica was parked that way on the right, the cement truck had to slow down a bit to pass it since there were vehicles coming from opposite side (the Alto and my car). this fool can't wait and tries to overtake the cement truck even though the Alto is right in its path, but gets stuck! takes a few minutes to get out of the mess he created, with help from the Alto and the cement truck guys.
I think I have seen this fellow!
About 2 weeks back, when I was at the Sarjapur-ORR junction, wating for a right turn at the right most lane, this car came from the left lane and blocked me. Remember it was grey Getz with HR regn.
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 16:51   #1942
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,625
Thanked: 9,096 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Yesterday when driving back from work (I have started pooling now with another friend and fellow car-maniac), there was this guy in a Scorpio ahead of us moving rather slowly for the highway. My friend was concentrating on the traffic around and gave a couple of toots and I suddenly noticed from teh passenger seat that the GUY WAS TEXTING! In the middle of the Pune bypass of NH4! Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. As we passed him, I glared at him through the side windows but he was too busy texting to notice!
Seriously, have people completely flipped?
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 19:20   #1943
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 3,513 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
I think I have seen this fellow!
About 2 weeks back, when I was at the Sarjapur-ORR junction, wating for a right turn at the right most lane, this car came from the left lane and blocked me. Remember it was grey Getz with HR regn.
aha! so i'm not the only one!

btw, spotted this schoolgirl riding a Dio on the Channasandra main road! she was riding smack in the middle of the road and riding slow. i didn't honk fearing she might get tensed and do something stupid, so i patiently followed her till i reached where i had to take a turn.

Name:  IMAG0043.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  265.5 KB

how can parents allow this?
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 19:36   #1944
LNK
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 43
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Spotting bad drivers/practices wont make a difference to anybody. At the most, we can learn to avoid those mistakes. Besides, taking pics while driving is a bad practice by itself, isn't it? It still is a huge distraction, just like texting while driving, taking pics also involves taking your eyes and your concentration off the road/conditions ahead. Yeah?

No offense meant to anybody and I'm pretty sure this would've already been brought up, but I just couldn't stop myself.
LNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 21:15   #1945
BHPian
 
Arkin evoisrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KA03; AP02
Posts: 680
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
aha! so i'm not the only one!

btw, spotted this schoolgirl riding a Dio on the Channasandra main road! she was riding smack in the middle of the road and riding slow. i didn't honk fearing she might get tensed and do something stupid, so i patiently followed her till i reached where i had to take a turn.

Attachment 548343

how can parents allow this?
Well, quite a few 10th graders are 16 (unlike me) when they pass out. And 16&+ can hold a "learner's" license for two wheelers within 50cc. Agreed the dio is not a 50cc, but then there are next to no 2 wheelers within 50cc, so most teens have no other choice. But then, one must drive/ride on an open road, only if he/she is genuinely fit to.

BTW, the road seems too narrow, so perhaps even if she was riding more towards the left, I'm not sure of one could overtake easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNK View Post
Spotting bad drivers/practices wont make a difference to anybody. At the most, we can learn to avoid those mistakes. Besides, taking pics while driving is a bad practice by itself, isn't it? It still is a huge distraction, just like texting while driving, taking pics also involves taking your eyes and your concentration off the road/conditions ahead. Yeah?

No offense meant to anybody and I'm pretty sure this would've already been brought up, but I just couldn't stop myself.
Well, AFAIK, Ironhawk does take pics sometimes while at the wheel (pl. note: he is a very sedate and responsible driver), but I believe this pic was taken using his cockpit recorder (??).

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 20th May 2011 at 21:17.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 22:22   #1946
BHPian
 
prateekm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai & BLR
Posts: 755
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Well, quite a few 10th graders are 16 (unlike me) when they pass out. And 16&+ can hold a "learner's" license for two wheelers within 50cc. Agreed the dio is not a 50cc, but then there are next to no 2 wheelers within 50cc, so most teens have no other choice. But then, one must drive/ride on an open road, only if he/she is genuinely fit to.
That would include me (another month before I turn 18) You get a learners license at 16 but after a period of 1 month and after passing a practical test, you can get a permanent gearless license too. The below 50cc is another one of India's archaic and unupdated law among many others. There isn't any 50cc bike available in today's market (I guess the minimum is Scooty Teenz which is 60cc or something). The RTO guys themselves told me that they allow any gearless scooterettes now (I wish I should have taken that in written from them).
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 23:48   #1947
h.k
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 43
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

to spot bad drivers:
Rule 1 visit hyderabad, i thought kochi was bad, until i visited hyderabad.
Rule 2 if he try to overtake in a over bridge.
3 if he try to scrape through then he is a taxi driver.
if do indicators before turning
if he try to slide when a pedestrian try to cross.
he who does not stop for women elderly and children.
he who over take through left.
h.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 00:42   #1948
BHPian
 
Pri2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore / Mangalore
Posts: 195
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I usually take the office bus while returning back home from work, but as I was working late yesterday I boarded a cab (Tata Sumo).

Though the driver was very friendly with me I noticed some things that actually scared me. Both his outer rear view mirrors were folded. His inner rear view mirror was filled with stickers with absolutely no visibility whatsoever. As soon as we got of the office gate, he took off his seat belt and started driving like a maniac. Honking continuously and flashing lights as if he is in some emergency. After we reached the ring road, he started speeding, overtaking vehicles from the left right and center, jumping signals, going on the wrong side of the road etc.

A person was trying to overtake him at one point and as my driver couldn't see him coming, he took a sudden right and was about to hit the other guy. I had seen enough of this guy's circus and asked him to slow down, and follow traffic rules.

And ladies and gentlemen .. This was his reply!!

Saar, I have been driving for 10 years and not even a single accident. Even if something happens, I will make sure that not even a scratch falls on you. After listening to him I was like till I reached home.

He is just another self proclaimed safe driver who never has met with an accident but would have killed several others with is antics.
Pri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 01:12   #1949
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,793
Thanked: 978 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Well, quite a few 10th graders are 16 (unlike me) when they pass out. And 16&+ can hold a "learner's" license for two wheelers within 50cc.
Sorry I forgot - How old did you say you are?
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 08:56   #1950
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 41
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
~Fingering and controlled agression~

Yesterday on our way to Aundh on a lovely four laned road. A bike with three fellows were riding on the right lane. So i followed my protocol and honked a polite 1 short honk. No response from the three monkey's. Then i did step two thats 2 short honks. This time i got a middle finger from the pillion in the middle. Ofcourse this pissed me off. But i just moved to step 3 and that was 2 long honks. The middle finger came up again from the idiot in the middle. But better sense prevailed from the rider and he moved left to allow me to pass. I was furious at the finger shown twice. But decided to refrain from foul language or road bullying. What i did instead was give a long hard stare at the nutcase, who in turn made a kya hua gesture. I just continued to stare and so the whacko did not know what to do he just shut up and looked away while i sped off.

If you look at the numbers i was just a single guy with my wife and baby at the back whereas they were three of them. Definately did not want to get into a fight. But wanted to make sure that such behaviour is just not acceptable. Hope i got the message across.
Hi buddy, bravo! Never tolerate such arrogant behavior. Let us Team BHPians start a movement against bad, arrogant & ignorant drivers. Seriously.
Capitalson is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them rajeev k Street Experiences 82 31st December 2016 01:16
Official Sign / Code when you spot another T-Bhpian on Road Otomobil Shifting gears 85 10th February 2011 19:58
5009 KMS-A'bad-Calicut-Bangy-Hyd-Aur'Bad-A'Bad-Report ramkya1 Travelogues 48 4th August 2010 00:04
A bad bad bad night for me.... Ranjan Sharma Street Experiences 38 8th April 2010 12:02
My accident - Bad brakes, bad rain, bad luck... vezj420 Street Experiences 41 22nd May 2007 10:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks