Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2011, 19:52   #2356
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ghaziabad/Hyderabad/Mysore
Posts: 1,416
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
...

One of my friends follows rules so strictly that he uses indicators even when turning into his apartment parking lot
...

What's wrong with that man - even I do it.

The other day a young neighbour was in a hurry on his Pulsar and wouldn't slow down even though I was reversing my car into my parking - I even had to honk to get the idiot's attention - he was trying to go around me from behind my reversing car (and indicators etc. were all on)
vina is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 20:23   #2357
BHPian
 
MandarMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 176
Thanked: 305 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
What's wrong with that man - even I do it.

The other day a young neighbour was in a hurry on his Pulsar and wouldn't slow down even though I was reversing my car into my parking - I even had to honk to get the idiot's attention - he was trying to go around me from behind my reversing car (and indicators etc. were all on)
The example was in a different context, but probably I did not make it clearer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using indicator when parking, but I was giving this example because my friend has two adjacent parking lots in a building where there are only 6 parking lots, and there are no other parking lots on the side where his parking is. There is absolutely no chance of anyone else driving there, yet he uses indicators because he's so used to it. Hope you understand my point.

PS: I was trying to click the quote button but by mistake clicked "Thanks" above. Dear Mods - is there a way to undo that?
MandarMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 20:27   #2358
BHPian
 
Speed.Demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kochi/Manama
Posts: 241
Thanked: 396 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

While coming back from office yesterday, this bus driver was literally driving on the middle of the road doing 10km/hr (a rare sight, buses usually fly here). I honked him and flashed my lights but he still kept the middle of the road. There wasnt any gap for us to overtake. Other cars joined him but he still didnt move. I could see from his rear view mirror that he was making comments and laughing. Somehow I found a gap, overtook the bus and stopped right in front of him which made him stop. Then I just drove off.
Naveen, I had a really bad experience with a private bus as well.
This morning I was on my way towards Oberon. When approaching the Edapally Bypass signal there was this bus doing around 40km/hr or so. I honked twice and he moved over to the side and he indicated with his hand that I could overtake him. I downshifted and was at his rear quarter, gaining speed when all of a sudden he turned fully to the right lane, almost crushing my car. I had to brake really hard, and since my car doesnt have ABS, the whole car skidded and turned sideways before halting!!!

This was a first for me, so I was sitting in the car with my heart banging before a kind gentleman who was right behind me and he saw the whole thing in his Ikon. He rolled down his window and asked if I was all right. That's when I came back to my senses and carried on, before I caused a pile up of traffic in an already crowded area..

Sheesh, I really wish I could have done some kind of payback to him!!!
Speed.Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 21:46   #2359
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,689
Thanked: 6,856 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Regarding cutting corners, I don't think it's ever fine to cut corners because if a person follows best practices, and drives safely, it becomes kind of second nature and even on empty roads having good visibility, you would not (and should not) break any rules. One of my friends follows rules so strictly that he uses indicators even when turning into his apartment parking lot
I do that sort of thing. Actually, the UK Highway Code says something about using signals when it will help others, but, so far as Indicators are concerned, my brain is hard-wired to use them, whether others are around or not.

So far as the open road is concerned, the "correct" thing is to "straighten out" the curves as much a possible. Yes, India differs in that people will even cut a blind corner. The road always belongs 100% to them.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 21:54   #2360
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 743
Thanked: 365 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Naveen, I had a really bad experience with a private bus as well
...

Sheesh, I really wish I could have done some kind of payback to him!!!
I had an exactly same experience on the Mysore Madikeri road when coming back to Bangalore. A slow driving private bus driver was offended when I honked and flashed (albeit in a nice way) to overtake him. He allowed me half way through and then suddenly cornered me against the divider . I slowed down immediately and calmed down for a few seconds. Then overtook him from the left side at the first opportunity. I too wished I could teach him a lesson in some way. But a few minutes later, was happy didn't do anything silly. A puny Zen against a multi-axle bus would have been a no-contest!!

Last edited by nileshch : 29th June 2011 at 21:56.
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 02:10   #2361
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,793
Thanked: 978 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi

+1 to that.
in the pic the white car(on the right of the estillo) is also parked in the same manner so who followed whom and why is big question.
No sir, the white car is parked rightly. Thats the last slot for that (white) car. The estilo owner is the idiot.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 09:21   #2362
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,662
Thanked: 2,880 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Naveen, I had a really bad experience with a private bus as well.
This morning I was on my way towards Oberon. When approaching the Edapally Bypass signal there was this bus doing around 40km/hr or so. I honked twice and he moved over to the side and he indicated with his hand that I could overtake him. I downshifted and was at his rear quarter, gaining speed when all of a sudden he turned fully to the right lane, almost crushing my car. I had to brake really hard, and since my car doesnt have ABS, the whole car skidded and turned sideways before halting!!!

This was a first for me, so I was sitting in the car with my heart banging before a kind gentleman who was right behind me and he saw the whole thing in his Ikon. He rolled down his window and asked if I was all right. That's when I came back to my senses and carried on, before I caused a pile up of traffic in an already crowded area..

Sheesh, I really wish I could have done some kind of payback to him!!!
That's bad, especially when it's your first time experiencing something like this. Lucky nothing happened to you.

Similar case happened to me but that time I wasnt lucky. The bus banged my car and I was pushed over the median. All this solely because of the bus driver's fault. Other motorists stopped the bus and pulled the bus driver out. Took him to the station and all I got is 5k. The car was brand new clocking just 500kms. . The left side of the car was completely damaged right from the front headlights to the rear wheel arch.

All I can say is be careful while overtaking. They cut the lanes really fast with/without any indication.
naveen.raju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 10:00   #2363
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chennai,Bangalo
Posts: 404
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
The example was in a different context, but probably I did not make it clearer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using indicator when parking, but I was giving this example because my friend has two adjacent parking lots in a building where there are only 6 parking lots, and there are no other parking lots on the side where his parking is. There is absolutely no chance of anyone else driving there, yet he uses indicators because he's so used to it. Hope you understand my point.

PS: I was trying to click the quote button but by mistake clicked "Thanks" above. Dear Mods - is there a way to undo that?
Hi

Do you mean to say he qualifies for a bad driver then may be we are wrong but if you are telling it is a redundant act then guess it may be Ok
Dieseldunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 11:28   #2364
BHPian
 
Speed.Demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kochi/Manama
Posts: 241
Thanked: 396 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Similar case happened to me but that time I wasnt lucky. The bus banged my car and I was pushed over the median. All this solely because of the bus driver's fault. Other motorists stopped the bus and pulled the bus driver out. Took him to the station and all I got is 5k. The car was brand new clocking just 500kms. . The left side of the car was completely damaged right from the front headlights to the rear wheel arch.
Man, that's really bad luck. Such an experience on a brand new car!!!
I really hope you didnt get hurt.
Was this with the swift or the vento? At least the people helped to catch the driver and took him to the police, in my case the driver just zoomed away..
Speed.Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 11:44   #2365
BHPian
 
MandarMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 176
Thanked: 305 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi

Do you mean to say he qualifies for a bad driver then may be we are wrong but if you are telling it is a redundant act then guess it may be Ok
No no no, you all got me wrong there. I absolutely did not mean to give that example as a bad thing, but more to show that people who always follow rules will continue to follow them even if it looks redundant.

When driving, I do a lot of redundant looking things myself and as Thad said above it's "hard-wired" into my brain. (and I am sure many other people).
MandarMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 12:20   #2366
BHPian
 
DieselLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kochi
Posts: 357
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Man, that's really bad luck. Such an experience on a brand new car!!!
I really hope you didnt get hurt.
Was this with the swift or the vento? At least the people helped to catch the driver and took him to the police, in my case the driver just zoomed away..
Majority of Private bus drivers in Kochi are goons. I expect and prepare for the worst every time I overtake a them or whenever they come near me. They get very rude and abuse you if we try to confront or question them.

But they (bus & tipper truck drivers) know the kind of "public support" they have and try to run away right after they cause an accident.
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 13:08   #2367
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,662
Thanked: 2,880 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Man, that's really bad luck. Such an experience on a brand new car!!!
I really hope you didnt get hurt.
Was this with the swift or the vento? At least the people helped to catch the driver and took him to the police, in my case the driver just zoomed away..
Yes, indeed a bad luck. This happened to my Swift. Even the cops asked me "brand new car uh.. so sad".
naveen.raju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 13:21   #2368
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,689
Thanked: 6,856 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
When driving, I do a lot of redundant looking things myself and as Thad said above it's "hard-wired" into my brain. (and I am sure many other people).
I haven't driven outside India for two or three years now I wonder how many of my Indian driving habits have now become hard-wired?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 13:52   #2369
Senior - BHPian
 
rajeev k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emerging Metro
Posts: 3,298
Thanked: 1,697 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
@IronH4WK - A common sight all over India.

Saw one really bad driver yesterday evening.
Guess, all might know how private buses are in Cochin. They drive as if they own the road and expect others to give way when they honk.

While coming back from office yesterday, this bus driver was literally driving on the middle of the road doing 10km/hr (a rare sight, buses usually fly here). I honked him and flashed my lights but he still kept the middle of the road. There wasnt any gap for us to overtake. Other cars joined him but he still didnt move. I could see from his rear view mirror that he was making comments and laughing. Somehow I found a gap, overtook the bus and stopped right in front of him which made him stop. Then I just drove off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
I like doing this to private buses. But we need to ensure that they will not chase us down later on
The Kochi private bus drivers deserve this. They think they own the city roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Naveen, I had a really bad experience with a private bus as well.
This morning I was on my way towards Oberon. When approaching the Edapally Bypass signal there was this bus doing around 40km/hr or so. I honked twice and he moved over to the side and he indicated with his hand that I could overtake him. I downshifted and was at his rear quarter, gaining speed when all of a sudden he turned fully to the right lane, almost crushing my car. I had to brake really hard, and since my car doesnt have ABS, the whole car skidded and turned sideways before halting!!!

This was a first for me, so I was sitting in the car with my heart banging before a kind gentleman who was right behind me and he saw the whole thing in his Ikon. He rolled down his window and asked if I was all right. That's when I came back to my senses and carried on, before I caused a pile up of traffic in an already crowded area..

Sheesh, I really wish I could have done some kind of payback to him!!!
This maneuver is done by many car, auto drivers and bikers. It is thier instant reflex action,without looking the ORVM they cut across to the right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
That's bad, especially when it's your first time experiencing something like this. Lucky nothing happened to you.

Similar case happened to me but that time I wasnt lucky. The bus banged my car and I was pushed over the median. All this solely because of the bus driver's fault. Other motorists stopped the bus and pulled the bus driver out. Took him to the station and all I got is 5k. The car was brand new clocking just 500kms. . The left side of the car was completely damaged right from the front headlights to the rear wheel arch.

All I can say is be careful while overtaking. They cut the lanes really fast with/without any indication.
True need to have a defensive approach always when you are behind the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Majority of Private bus drivers in Kochi are goons. I expect and prepare for the worst every time I overtake a them or whenever they come near me. They get very rude and abuse you if we try to confront or question them.

But they (bus & tipper truck drivers) know the kind of "public support" they have and try to run away right after they cause an accident.
If we repay in the same coin, they would not retaliate. One rider, you should be in a KL7 car. If we happen to drive other regn cars, even if we are parked the auto guys and private bus cleaners nee Kilis would try to intimidate,

This is common every where. In Trivandrum the blue private buses tried to do it to me in a KL7, but as we are baptised by fire with the Red private buses the attempts were futile.

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th June 2011 at 13:53.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 14:44   #2370
BHPian
 
Tommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 253
Thanked: 44 Times
Cool Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I haven't driven outside India for two or three years now I wonder how many of my Indian driving habits have now become hard-wired?
Here is some tips to make sure that one can drive good abroad especially in USA.

Driving in the USA


I am an avid driver on the Indian Roads for the more than 20 years. Most of my initial years rides were on Motor bikes and then started *really* driving car since 2000 even though I had a valid driving license earlier. I would have clocked over 100,000 Kms on bike and car each (total 200K+ Km). Does it automatically myself an expert driver in other countries and especially on the other side( Left Hand Drive) of the road.

Definitely not, you need to know the rules of the land including the 'right of way'. I am pretty confident that I am not going to hit on some one else with the over cautious driving in India. However, the US driving system will not issue a Driving License if you are too cautious, as they expect an over cautious driver can create messy accidents as the regular drivers would get confused.


I had great difficulity in adjusting to US roads in my recent trip and was even scared to take a rented car to drive in high density traffic places like San Francisco Bay Area. If you new to the Left Handed driving system here are my quick thumb rules
a) Make sure the car you wish to drive has an Insurance for you as the driver and also have a GPS device with voice navigation
b) I would first suggest you to sit on the seat behind the driver and then on the front seat to get a feel of the driving system, signals and the sign boards
c) Learn all the controls of the car (incl the cruise control if the car has one) before taking on the wheel.
d) Take a look at all the videos posted below so that you understand the rules of the land
e) Make sure that you are going to drive on a road that you have commonly been on. Eg. Hotel to office or back. Dont ever try a new road until you have successfully completed and confident with the roads that you have seen atleast once.
f) Make sure someone else is with you who has done at least 1000 miles on US roads.

Rules of the Road (click on the links below)


1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
Tommie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them rajeev k Street Experiences 88 18th September 2017 13:31
Official Sign / Code when you spot another T-Bhpian on Road Otomobil Shifting gears 85 10th February 2011 19:58
5009 KMS-A'bad-Calicut-Bangy-Hyd-Aur'Bad-A'Bad-Report ramkya1 Travelogues 48 4th August 2010 00:04
A bad bad bad night for me.... Ranjan Sharma Street Experiences 38 8th April 2010 12:02
My accident - Bad brakes, bad rain, bad luck... vezj420 Street Experiences 41 22nd May 2007 10:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks