Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2011, 15:34   #2851
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,697
Thanked: 1,477 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Sorry to disturb you, but one must always be cautious("Scared" is more appropriate) whenever you see a puddle.
Roads in India are a sorry state and you never know when a harmless looking puddle gobbles up your rims/tyres with gusto
It is easy to get a bent rim repaired/ replaced as compared to leaving the car for a month or longer with the service centre for rear end repairs. He should have looked in the rear-view mirror before applying brakes.

Safari (VX 4x2) was my cousins favourite vehicle & they had planned a Safari VX 4x4 for its company. But, now they will have to wait a little longer & the older one wil never be the same again.

... & regarding his carefulness, he managed to rupture the tank of the City, which is also in the A.S.S. till the replacement tank arrives.

Sorry, for you, he may be good (careful) driver just for one scenario, but for us the overall situation is not exactly good. & that is is why he is bad, already been fired from his accomplished services.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 19:56   #2852
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NJ & Kolkata
Posts: 155
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Traffic flow in India follow the principles of fluid dynamics, specifically Hydrodynamics (for liquids). When liquids flow, they always take the path of least resistance, which is what you see on Indian roads. While driving in bad traffic, if you see a gap in front of you, just move in there in one fluidic movement, even if that is on the opposite lane. Hey, not your fault - why didn't the guy coming from the other direction see it first?

Lane markings - those are merely suggestions, and a waste of good paint.

For describing the behavior of fluids, Blaise Pascal, the French mathematician and physicist discovered that pressure applied on a fluid is transmitted uniformly throughout its entire body. Thats why if the persons behind you are honking incessantly for no reason, you and everyone around you just transmit and distribute that pressure by honking like crazy at the cars in front of you.

Might is right - thats the way of nature. Ever saw an elephant give way to your Alto on a forest road?

Once while driving in Bangalore, I stopped at a traffic light, and there was this guy on a bike who sneaked in from the right side through an impossible gap between my car and the divider, and hit my mirror (thankfully it didn't break). I lowered the window and looked at him. He looks back and accusingly asks me, "What?". I said, you hit my mirror, you should drive more carefully.
He then points to the left handle of the bike where the handle extends by about 2 inches beyond the rubber grip, and says "What to do Sir? Not my fault, Bajaj makes the handles that way". I didn't quite have an answer to his logic.
mr.sinha is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 21:13   #2853
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,597
Thanked: 6,682 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
"What to do Sir? Not my fault, Bajaj makes the handles that way".


Very good.

Thank you: this thread needs a little bit of humour occasionally!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 00:08   #2854
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,792
Thanked: 978 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Talking of 2 wheeler riders - I am sure not many know that they are supposed to be riding on the left most lane on a multi lane road. I have seen many of these riding on the right most lane and don't budge for 4-wheelers. Instead they make a sign with their left hand asking the 4 wheeled vehicles to overtake them from their left.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 09:11   #2855
BHPian
 
mmxylorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 653
Thanked: 176 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
and yesterday as I was joining NH4 on return commute, I see an approaching black sedan sporting the Blue/red flashers the likes of which are seen on police cars in the west. A pair inside the grill and another pair under the rear glass. Very 'Cops' style.

Bad driver? IMO, Yes! I don't think Indian Police is using anything like this.
Saw another one with the flashers, this time a Fabia MH14CS* which was also sporting a TBHP sticker. This was during the morning commute today on the orange route. The driver seemed to be in a great hurry, overtaking as high speeds (for the road) and with close tolerances. Not done.
mmxylorider is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 09:40   #2856
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 448
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Talking of 2 wheeler riders - I am sure not many know that they are supposed to be riding on the left most lane on a multi lane road. I have seen many of these riding on the right most lane and don't budge for 4-wheelers. Instead they make a sign with their left hand asking the 4 wheeled vehicles to overtake them from their left.

Why so? What if the left most lane has a speed limit of 40 and right lane a speed limit of 80 (like on airport road) and the biker is driving at 80. Why should he drive in the lane meant for slower vehicles?
What if the biker has to take the next U/right turn. Why should he be not in the right lane?

PS: I am not justifying the everyday incidents of biker driving at 20kmph on the rightmost lane all the way from his home to office.

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 09:41   #2857
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,850
Thanked: 15,405 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
Traffic flow in India follow the principles of fluid dynamics, specifically Hydrodynamics (for liquids). .
.
.

He then points to the left handle of the bike where the handle extends by about 2 inches beyond the rubber grip, and says "What to do Sir? Not my fault, Bajaj makes the handles that way". I didn't quite have an answer to his logic.
LOL mr.sinha.
What you say is true.
I also have had this problem of bikers hitting the mirrors, so I started parking very close to the divider. However, some dividers in Noida have metal bits sticking out which are not visible at night, so it often means the car will get scrached, so I have to leave a gap.
If possible I leave a gap which is wide enough for a bike to pass, but often due to traffic its not possible.
So I just wait, as the biker gets around 2-3 meters from the tailpipe, I rev the safari hard.
The smoke screen created makes the biker disoriented for the next minute, and by that time traffic moves

Speaking of honkers, here is a cure
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...t-honkers.html (Red light honkers)
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 18:07   #2858
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,792
Thanked: 978 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Why so? What if the left most lane has a speed limit of 40 and right lane a speed limit of 80 (like on airport road) and the biker is driving at 80. Why should he drive in the lane meant for slower vehicles?
What if the biker has to take the next U/right turn. Why should he be not in the right lane?

PS: I am not justifying the everyday incidents of biker driving at 20kmph on the rightmost lane all the way from his home to office.

Regards,
Sir it is not about the limit, it is about the type of vehicle. As per BTP (and also probably as per law) the two wheeler should be using the left most lane.

When I was in Chennai - my colleagues used to make sure they are riding in the left most lane when on the Anna Salai - I have see a couple of them being challaned for riding on the lane designated for other vehicles.

And yes I agree if the biker has to take a U turn, then its a different matter. Here I am talking of the Airport road after the entry to Sanjaynagar till Hebbal fly over - I dont think there is anybody can take a U turn on that stretch.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 18:17   #2859
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 448
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Sir it is not about the limit, it is about the type of vehicle. As per BTP (and also probably as per law) the two wheeler should be using the left most lane.
Is that so? Hmm...I was always under the impression that lanes are based on (a) Speed of vehicle (b) Direction where you are going i.e. right, left or straight.

However, this impression of mine had been made by observing traffic movement in US streets. May be this is different in India. But I do remember seeing on some roads signs like "Slow moving vehicle keep left". Never saw anything saying "2-wheelers stay left".


Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 18:21   #2860
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,792
Thanked: 978 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Is that so? Hmm...I was always under the impression that lanes are based on (a) Speed of vehicle (b) Direction where you are going i.e. right, left or straight.

However, this impression of mine had been made by observing traffic movement in US streets. May be this is different in India. But I do remember seeing on some roads signs like "Slow moving vehicle keep left". Never saw anything saying "2-wheelers stay left".


Regards,
Am not disagreeing with what you are saying. You may want to check with BTP on the confirmation of the same.

Sometime back, a biker had put up a pic of himself confronting a 4 wheeler coming in the opposite direction on the BTP page on FB. BTP folks asked him for his phone number and after a while, the person just posted a "Thank you BTP for making me aware of the law" and I asked BTP to let us all know what transpired for everybody's benefit - they said the same - 2 wheelers (probably considered slow moving in comparison to 4 wheelers) are supposed to be on the left lane.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 18:52   #2861
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,000
Thanked: 6,127 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Am not disagreeing with what you are saying. You may want to check with BTP on the confirmation of the same.

Sometime back, a biker had put up a pic of himself confronting a 4 wheeler coming in the opposite direction on the BTP page on FB. BTP folks asked him for his phone number and after a while, the person just posted a "Thank you BTP for making me aware of the law" and I asked BTP to let us all know what transpired for everybody's benefit - they said the same - 2 wheelers (probably considered slow moving in comparison to 4 wheelers) are supposed to be on the left lane.
BTP also encourages commuters to proceed even before the signal is green and when pedestrians are trying to cross the road frantically. I've seen it and experienced it too. One time, I waited for the signal to go green while others proceeded on the gesture of the cop, and the cop 'pointed his hand' at me for not moving along with the rest of the vehicles.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 19:13   #2862
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,792
Thanked: 978 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
BTP also encourages commuters to proceed even before the signal is green and when pedestrians are trying to cross the road frantically. I've seen it and experienced it too. One time, I waited for the signal to go green while others proceeded on the gesture of the cop, and the cop 'pointed his hand' at me for not moving along with the rest of the vehicles.
That still doesn't make them bad drivers, but just bad traffic managers.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 19:44   #2863
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,597
Thanked: 6,682 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I can't quote law, but both in this country and in UK, I'd obey the signal/instructions of a policeman regardless of the signal. I think they have that authority.

On the other current controversy, British law is succinct: drive on the left except when overtaking. If that rule is obeyed, then traffic on the left will never be travelling faster than traffic on the right. This applies to the open road: it does not apply where traffic is moving in different lanes according to destination, turning off, etc. There is also the possibility of different lanes being available/restricted to different types of vehicle, hence bus lanes, bike lanes and so on.

The lanes on Chennai's Anna Salai, around the Spencer Plaza area are marked for different vehicles, but the markings seem to be mostly ignored!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th September 2011 at 19:51.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 22:19   #2864
Senior - BHPian
 
rajeev k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emerging Metro
Posts: 3,296
Thanked: 1,689 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Came across many a bad driver today. Take a look.
Saw this scene when I was waiting fir the signal at the SA Road-MG Road junction. It appeared that the KSRTC bus hit the Optra's side somewhere earlier and the Optra chased the bus and blocked it.
The Optra owner opened the KSRTC driver's door and was arguing before the cop came and took control of the situation and ordered both the vehicles to clear and park a distance away. What happened afterwards is not known.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-27092011707.jpg
See the Verna guy cutting across and stopped on two lanes. That too with the ORVM folded. Scene from Vytilla bypass
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-25092011705.jpg
The auto trying to squeeze and nearly scratched the 800 before the car moved a bit up. At Palarivattom bye pass signal.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-27092011708.jpg

Last edited by rajeev k : 27th September 2011 at 22:25.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 22:54   #2865
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,000
Thanked: 6,127 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
That still doesn't make them bad drivers, but just bad traffic managers.
Precisely!

In fact, those who start driving/riding their vehicles even before the lights turn green are bad drivers. They think the policeman at the junction is doing the correct thing by letting them go anyway, despite knowing that the poor pedestrians are trying to cross the street. It's like the zoo-keeper letting a horde of wild animals loose!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them rajeev k Street Experiences 82 31st December 2016 01:16
Official Sign / Code when you spot another T-Bhpian on Road Otomobil Shifting gears 85 10th February 2011 19:58
5009 KMS-A'bad-Calicut-Bangy-Hyd-Aur'Bad-A'Bad-Report ramkya1 Travelogues 48 4th August 2010 00:04
A bad bad bad night for me.... Ranjan Sharma Street Experiences 38 8th April 2010 12:02
My accident - Bad brakes, bad rain, bad luck... vezj420 Street Experiences 41 22nd May 2007 10:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks