Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2013, 19:43   #4906
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 632
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Spotted this Tata Ace today that was driving on NH17 from Panjim to Margao. It had some luggage in its cargo area, which included a large ladder. Due to the size of this ladder, the cover which is opened while loading the luggage could not be closed, and hence was kept open. Due to this, the backlight of the vehicle could not be seen. I was following it for quite a while and could never make out when it braked. In the beginning, I was maintaining a distance of two cars at a speed of 60, but suddenly saw the gap reducing while I had no idea why. Then I figured that it had braked, but since the lights were covered, I could not see the brake light.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 00:38   #4907
BHPian
 
acroback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 314
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

I was bullied by a bmtc bus in morning. The guy was hell bent in deiving in middle, almost pushed me to side wall.

Another great soul kept using dipper right from hope signal till shell petrol pump after kadugodi bridge. For what? There was no space. At first I thought may be a bhpian, must have noticed ltd sticker. But for 5 kms, must be deperate.
acroback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 07:22   #4908
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,687
Thanked: 7,570 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
I was bullied by a bmtc bus in morning. The guy was hell bent in deiving in middle, almost pushed me to side wall.

Another great soul kept using dipper right from hope signal till shell petrol pump after kadugodi bridge. For what? There was no space. At first I thought may be a bhpian, must have noticed ltd sticker. But for 5 kms, must be deperate.
Sometimes one just wishes that the car came with a room-mounted mini missile-launcher!

I just let such souls 'pass' and hope that they 'pass away' soon!
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 18:32   #4909
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 965
Thanked: 232 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I did that until, one day, a biker friend asked me how I would like a glowing cigarette end in my coat at 70MPH. From that day on, until I became a smokless zone anyway, I never did it again.
I once asked a Merc driver whether he needs money to buy an ashtray. I was on an RX.....so it helped.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 19:49   #4910
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,655
Thanked: 9,176 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This was not unofficial; this was official; this was major roadworks. How can any authority be so senseless as not to put some warning of two-way traffic where it is not expected?

I gave a poor biker the finger the other day after I nearly rammed him for coming the wrong way, only to realise that the entire opposite side of the road had been blocked and dug up by the PWD (or some other equally annoying acronym) and the workers themselves were diverting traffic to the other side.

In fact the road connecting Pune University and Pashan has a small section that has been sealed off for a week or two now. It is extremely dangerous since it is an otherwise wide 2-lane road where vehicles zip merrily. IMagine coming face to face with a vehicle when you're doing 60 kmph. Not cool.

This is not exactly bad driving we're talking about but a worthy digression.

Last edited by noopster : 8th January 2013 at 19:51. Reason: Typos
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 19:58   #4911
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I gave a poor biker the finger the other day after I nearly rammed him for coming the wrong way, only to realise that the entire opposite side of the road had been blocked and dug up by the PWD (or some other equally annoying acronym) and the workers themselves were diverting traffic to the other side.
I have done this too and the feeling you get when you see the other side blocked is not good. Makes you wish you could turn back the clock and undo your actions. But after experiencing this a couple of times, i started looking for other signs that would indicate whether the other lane is blocked or not, every time i saw someone come down the wrong way:
1. Does the other lane have any traffic? If there is no traffic in the other lane then it is most likely blocked.
2. Are there others further down the road who are driving down the wrong side? And are they all sticking to one side or grouped towards one side?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 09:23   #4912
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,501
Thanked: 1,664 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Found this funny video on You-Tube. I know there are many of these kind, but found this really funny. Err. Dangerous. Reminds me of what I go through everyday in Bangalore too !!!

Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 10:59   #4913
BHPian
 
500ContyCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: KA25
Posts: 522
Thanked: 358 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Found this funny video on You-Tube. I know there are many of these kind, but found this really funny. Err. Dangerous. Reminds me of what I go through everyday in Bangalore too !!!
Looks like everything works Ram bharosa [in firm belief of lord Ram]

500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 11:00   #4914
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 191 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Today morning I was dropping my son to the school in Jayanagar 7th Block. On the way suddenly a object was thrown from the passenger side of an Innova. I was behind this vehicle and on the left side of the road. The object landed on my chest and it was a lighted cigarette butt Luckily my son was sitting behind and was protected.

I went past this vehicle stopped the driver and gave him a piece of my mind, and his reaction was just stare at me like a zombie as if I did not exist.

Trust me guys if I was alone then I would have taken this guy to task, how I hate such morons who do not value "common sense" !!
sumathindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 11:10   #4915
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,455
Thanked: 3,580 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Found this funny video on You-Tube. I know there are many of these kind, but found this really funny. Err. Dangerous. Reminds me of what I go through everyday in Bangalore too !!!
nice find! this should be in the funny videos thread
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 11:17   #4916
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,501
Thanked: 1,664 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
nice find! this should be in the funny videos thread
I am inspired by this video to put up a dashboard cam. I am sure a Bangalore traffic video would be more funnier with the buses, trucks "super"bikers and three-wheeled circus vehicles
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 13:01   #4917
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,455
Thanked: 3,580 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

almost got creamed by a BMTC bus this morning!

i had just crossed the u-turn on the IRR and i see this Pushpak in front of me driving in the middle of the road. i give a honk, indicating that i want to pass and the bus driver moves a bit to the left, just enough for me to pass. i accelerate and am about midway when the bus driver sees Indica in his path ahead and instead of slowing down, he tries to come right. i give a long blast of the horn and he twitches back a bit to the left.

i accelerate further and have crossed the bus about 75% when the bus driver again starts coming to the right. i honk again, but he doesn't seemed to be bothered. i put pedal to the metal and zoom ahead, clearing the bus by millimeters (thank God i was in Sport mode)! in the RVM i see the bus had completed come to the right and was driving in the right lane! had i not overtaken the bus, it would have crushed me against the divider and spit me on to the oncoming traffic on the opposite lane (i think)!

true story

if i had the dash cam on, it would have been a nice thriller video *green grinning fella*

Last edited by IronH4WK : 9th January 2013 at 13:03.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 14:21   #4918
BHPian
 
VishnuNarayanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 118
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
almost got creamed by a BMTC bus this morning!

i had just crossed the u-turn on the IRR and i see this Pushpak in front of me driving in the middle of the road. i give a honk, indicating that i want to pass and the bus driver moves a bit to the left, just enough for me to pass. i accelerate and am about midway when the bus driver sees Indica in his path ahead and instead of slowing down, he tries to come right. i give a long blast of the horn and he twitches back a bit to the left.

i accelerate further and have crossed the bus about 75% when the bus driver again starts coming to the right. i honk again, but he doesn't seemed to be bothered. i put pedal to the metal and zoom ahead, clearing the bus by millimeters (thank God i was in Sport mode)! in the RVM i see the bus had completed come to the right and was driving in the right lane! had i not overtaken the bus, it would have crushed me against the divider and spit me on to the oncoming traffic on the opposite lane (i think)!

true story

if i had the dash cam on, it would have been a nice thriller video *green grinning fella*
I think its the same everywhere in India ! I had such an instance a couple of days before. Then it was a singe lane straight road leading to an Over Bridge(a bottle neck).
The road was blocked and i was behind a Ritz. Suddenly a Private bus following a Honda City creates a new lane through the left. As expected the man with the i-VTEC machine manages to get through. The Bus also tries the same trick. Unfortunately I was the victim. He just put me out of the lane forcing me to the opposite lane. If I had not slammed my brakes, my car would have been in the MASS for a dent repair.

Last edited by VishnuNarayanan : 9th January 2013 at 14:22.
VishnuNarayanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 14:41   #4919
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,441
Thanked: 830 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i see this Pushpak in front of me driving in the middle of the road.
Probably he was busy issuing tickets while driving. Earlier the BMTC ends this conductor less buses the better for everyone.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 14:55   #4920
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,251
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Found this funny video on You-Tube. I know there are many of these kind, but found this really funny. Err. Dangerous. Reminds me of what I go through everyday in Bangalore too !!!
Really funny because the video is playing at prolly 8x or 16x the original frame rate.

Slow it down to the normal pace and then try playing it, all the fun would be lost!
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them rajeev k Street Experiences 88 18th September 2017 13:31
Official Sign / Code when you spot another T-Bhpian on Road Otomobil Shifting gears 85 10th February 2011 19:58
5009 KMS-A'bad-Calicut-Bangy-Hyd-Aur'Bad-A'Bad-Report ramkya1 Travelogues 48 4th August 2010 00:04
A bad bad bad night for me.... Ranjan Sharma Street Experiences 38 8th April 2010 12:02
My accident - Bad brakes, bad rain, bad luck... vezj420 Street Experiences 41 22nd May 2007 10:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks