Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 15:36   #571
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
What's the significance of these in the context you mentioned ? What does these have to do with either avoiding being rear-ended or even good driving practice ?
The correct practice as per European and British laws is to keep the handbrake engaged at signals and when the yellow comes on one should engage 1st and keep the clutch pressed.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 15:46   #572
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,838
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Let us take a scenario. Driver A is comfortable with 3 car lengths of distance with the car in front. Driver B is more experienced and sees space in front of driver A and occupies that space because of which driver A has to slow down a bit to maintain 3 car lengths distance with driver B. Now, Driver A thinks B is a bad driver and pushy while driver B thinks driver A is bad and a slow driver. So who is the bad driver here?
I'd say both In fact. I experience both sides of the fence every day. I'm comfortable at 80, and 2 car lengths. When I see someone who is travelling faster coming up on the rear, and politely honks/flashes, I move to the side and let them pass. Most often they keep on traveling/overtaking at their pace, and leave me behind. In this scenario, I have no problem, since I'm not affected at all. On the other hand , if he camps in front of me and doesnt proceed further, then its an issue.

Similarly, when I see a car going slower keeping a large distance in front, and going slowly, I settle behind them, give a short bursts, overtake when an oppurtunity comes up. If he doesnt give way, then its an issue. I've never had an issue with both scenarios. Or maybe there are too many good drivers around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Why only the left side ? The city speed limit is 40kmph and this limit applies to all lanes.
I meant for non Multi Lane roads. One is supposed to keep to the left side, correct? There arent many multi lane roads around here
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 15:48   #573
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher
The correct practice as per European and British laws is to keep the handbrake engaged at signals and when the yellow comes on one should engage 1st and keep the clutch pressed.
I assume that handbrake being engaged is to avoid car moving forward/backward at signals. What is wrong if I use the B-pedal instead, which is what I do ? Asking because I almost never use the handbrake - unless when parking on a slope.

The brakelights would come up either way I guess. But if the intention of brakelight being lit when at signal is to warn a rear-ender, I find it pretty pointless because if the moron missed the big red traffic light, what is the possibility of him seeing the small brakelight on the rear of your car ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th March 2009 at 15:51.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 15:50   #574
BHPian
 
watashi75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 518
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Do you keep your brakelights on at traffic signals? Do you keep your handbrakes engaged at traffic signals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
What does these have to do with either avoiding being rear-ended or even good driving practice ?
If you don't keep the brakelights on (by feathering the foot brake) the person coming from behind does not know whether you have stopped, moving or preparing to move. It will also grab his attention in case he happens to be watching only the traffic lights or somewhere else. Prevention is half the battle.

This is sometimes a problem with people who overuse engine braking to slow down. The brakelights give an immediate indication of somebody slowing down. But it takes few precious milliseconds to judge whether a person is slowing down through engine braking. You may have to brake hard in such situations and you may probably brake in time but the guy behind may not. So keep distance from such guys. Or in case you are the one doing engine braking watch out for traffic behind and feather the foot brakes. If I have to brake hard I usually give an indication through hazards or by blinking the breaklights.

Ragrding handbrakes, if you don't have the handbrakes on and somebody rear-ends you, you might end up hitting the vehicle in front or oncoming traffic. It is not sufficient just to use the foot brake since the jerk might dislodge your feet. You could also keep the car in gear and press the clutch if you know that it is going to be a short wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But if the intention of brakelight being lit when at signal is to warn a rear-ender, I find it pretty pointless because if the moron missed the big red traffic light, what is the possibility of him seeing the small brakelight on the rear of your car ?
It could be orange light instead of red, or somebody ahead making an illegal turn, or somebody's car stalled in front. The point is that a brake light serves as a positive indication.

Last edited by watashi75 : 12th March 2009 at 15:56.
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 15:52   #575
Senior - BHPian
 
revtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,988
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

The brakelights would come up either way I guess. But if the intention of brakelight being lit when at signal is to warn a rear-ender, I find it pretty pointless because if the moron missed the big red traffic light, what is the possibility of him seeing the small brakelight on the rear of your car ?
brake light will not come on if using the handbrake ONLY.


rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 15:57   #576
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

See, your point was about "keeping brakelights on at traffic signals". ie. when waiting at a signal - car being stationary. And even for someone who uses only b-pedal, the light will be on.

And even if the lights are not on, if someone driving down is so visually challenged that he cannot make out that a car is stationary at a signal, he seriously needs medical attention.

But I do agree about your part about the guys overusing engine-braking. In that case the car is in motion, so the guy behind might get confused as to whether you are slowing down or moving or going to brake.

EDIT : @revtech, I think you have a point there.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th March 2009 at 16:07.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 16:07   #577
Senior - BHPian
 
revtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,988
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
See, your point was about "keeping brakelights on at traffic signals". ie. when waiting at a signal - car being stationary. Irrespective of whether you use the handbrake or b-pedal, the brakelight is going to be on.
Seriously am i missing something here because the brake light does NOT come ON when using just the handbrake.. !!

a lot of people are lazy to keep the brake pressed so thats why the recommend using the handbrake.secondly if your not paying attention and not pressing the brake hard enough the car could roll of on a slope.


rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 17:15   #578
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore / Madras
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
Seriously am i missing something here because the brake light does NOT come ON when using just the handbrake.. !!
It does come on. In the instrument console.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 17:27   #579
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
Seriously am i missing something here because the brake light does NOT come ON when using just the handbrake.
Hey, look at the EDIT in the post prior to yours. I acknowledged that I was wrong about the light coming on when handbrake is engaged. If you noticed, I also edited the part that you have quoted - after I saw your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
a lot of people are lazy to keep the brake pressed so thats why the recommend using the handbrake. secondly if your not paying attention and not pressing the brake hard enough the car could roll of on a slope.
Yes, the handbrake being engaged would help car not rolling. But since the light does not come on with h/brake as you rightly said, one would still need to press the b-pedal also if we need to use the light to make the speeding guy behind us avoid ramming into our car. So, why not just use only b-pedal ?
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 17:39   #580
Senior - BHPian
 
revtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,988
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Hey, look at the EDIT in the post prior to yours. I acknowledged that I was wrong about the light coming on when handbrake is engaged. If you noticed, I also edited the part that you have quoted - after I saw your post.

Yes, the handbrake being engaged would help car not rolling. But since the light does not come on with h/brake as you rightly said, one would still need to press the b-pedal also if we need to use the light to make the speeding guy behind us avoid ramming into our car. So, why not just use only b-pedal ?
the thing is i quoted you just before you edited your second post.

any way i guess i got the point across.

i always use the brake pedal while at a signal.very rarely do i pull up the handbrake.


rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 17:40   #581
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I assume that handbrake being engaged is to avoid car moving forward/backward at signals. What is wrong if I use the B-pedal instead, which is what I do ? Asking because I almost never use the handbrake - unless when parking on a slope.

The brakelights would come up either way I guess. But if the intention of brakelight being lit when at signal is to warn a rear-ender, I find it pretty pointless because if the moron missed the big red traffic light, what is the possibility of him seeing the small brakelight on the rear of your car ?
Reasons European law prohibits usage of using brakes at signals is that it causes glare for the person at the back.

Same reason why fog lamps should not be used when there is no fog.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 18:00   #582
Senior - BHPian
 
pulsar56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,173
Thanked: 319 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And even if the lights are not on, if someone driving down is so visually challenged that he cannot make out that a car is stationary at a signal, he seriously needs medical attention.
But, you still encounter such people on the roads ogling at women, posters, an exotic car, tall buildings, etc!

No matter how much we debate here, situations are not going to improve unless we have strict laws and honest cops!

Another breed of bad drivers - Who don't care about the indicator signal to turn left or right but still try to squeeze their way through either making you stop or hitting your car!
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 18:11   #583
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56
you still encounter such people on the roads ogling at women, posters, an exotic car, tall buildings, etc!
You got me there. I wouldn't really care about an exotic car or a building, but a pretty woman will have me ogling.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 21:30   #584
BHPian
 
para_7k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: chennai
Posts: 462
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

High Beams - Not sure if anyone discussed about it. How many people out there drive with high beams ? I really hate to see those big lights of vehicles where most of the light gets scattered and serves no purpose other than glaring at your face.

I'm not sure if these people even know what they are. They don't even respond when you flick at them from the opposite direction . People should be educated on using High beams only when required.

Its time we thought of mandating projected headlamps.
para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 22:25   #585
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,618
Thanked: 10,779 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
...a pretty woman will have me ogling.
But that doesn't necessarily make you a BAD driver, does it???
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them rajeev k Street Experiences 88 18th September 2017 13:31
Official Sign / Code when you spot another T-Bhpian on Road Otomobil Shifting gears 85 10th February 2011 19:58
5009 KMS-A'bad-Calicut-Bangy-Hyd-Aur'Bad-A'Bad-Report ramkya1 Travelogues 48 4th August 2010 00:04
A bad bad bad night for me.... Ranjan Sharma Street Experiences 38 8th April 2010 12:02
My accident - Bad brakes, bad rain, bad luck... vezj420 Street Experiences 41 22nd May 2007 10:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks