Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 11:00   #5986
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: KL-CHN-BLR
Posts: 220
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

This happened on Varathur Road on my morning drive to Whitefield.

It was a two lane road and I was in the right lane moving at around 30KM/hr. Out of the blue, an i20 cuts into my lane (no indicators) and I had to maneuver the XUV onto the side median foothpath to avoid collision. I decide to move on, this guy comes zooming by from the left, shouts some crap from inside his car and zooms off. Got irritated and went on to follow the guy revving up the XUV, but then better sense got hold of me and decided he wasn't worth pursuing. He decides to hog the entire road, and does the same lane cutting again with out any indication. Road hogging continued till he took a left from the Shell Bunk and I moved straight.

Lesson learnt - if someone wants to hog the road, be patient and let them move ahead, they will get tired. Never engage with such folks, it only adds to 'ego' ours and theirs.
aajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 11:53   #5987
BHPian
 
mints21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: India
Posts: 733
Thanked: 1,165 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Indian roads are full of bad drivers and spotting them is very easy. However, what is even more strange is when these bad drivers brazenly disobey traffic rules in the presence of traffic cops.

Here is one such situation, that I saw today morning, where some car drivers can be seen driving on the wrong lane and three traffic policemen standing next to them conveniently choose to do nothing.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-hphoto-1.jpg
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 20:27   #5988
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 62
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I have been reading posts in this thread for a long, long time now. There are hundreds of things I could post here, but I like to ignore them on the road to keep mind calm. However, some cannot be ignored. This is one of them:

We were on NH1(GT Karnal Road), going towards Sonipat from Mukarba Chowk, at around 100-120kmph. The road was fairly empty, with just a couple of cars. We were behind a Black Micra(PB 4949) in right-most lane and he did not allow us to overtake. We honked but he didn't move, so we finally overtook him from the left. This probably offended him. He followed us very closely for a few minutes when we slowed down a little and he overtook us from the left and came in lane in front of ours, missing our car with just a few inches. He returned back to his lane, still a few feet in front of us and took his window down. We did the same, and comparatively lowered the speed. He: Ki bhai?(What brother?) We: Kya?(What?) He: Kidda chala reya ae?(How are you driving?) We: Yaar ham to thik hi chala rhe hain.(We are driving right dude) He: Ha thik! Ik chapait penni ae sab samjh aa javegi!(Yea right! One slap and you'll get on right tracks!). The lady, probably driver's mother saw our faces which were now turning furious and asked her to move, and then forced her to move the car. All this just because we overtook him!

Attached is a photograph I took a few minutes after this. Everyone on the road had the courtesy to stop before stop line while this guy wanted to go all the way across it. I've also uploaded the same to Delhi Traffic Police's page for fancy number plate and stop line violation. Not sure if they would be able to do anything to a PB car though.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20140109-14.21.00-1.jpg  

N.A.GTC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 21:13   #5989
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,799
Thanked: 7,127 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I saw a biker do much the same thing here in Chennai a few days ago. This was in Nungambakam High Road. 4 wheelers had stopped for pedestrians to cross, but a biker just carried on, literally forcing his way through a group of people on the road. What an ignorant moron!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 23:57   #5990
BHPian
 
AbhishekB86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 330
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Am I the only one who gets confused when a biker is honking from kms away and continues to honk through his journey? I have been distracted several times thinking I've squeezed a biker into the median only to realize that he's honking for the sake of it and will continue to do so until he reaches his destination. I realize that this may be to make people aware that he's coming through but honking without a breather usually on Delhi roads signify that you're pretty close to ramming someone and the driver in question is trying to get your attention.

Even after over-taking my car and with traffic still or moving and with no obstructions in their path some bikers continue to honk. With bumper to bumper traffic checking on your blind spots assuming you've missed something can lead to bumper touch which can lead to an argument. Maybe I'm too sensitive or this really is another problem.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 21st January 2014 at 00:00.
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 00:52   #5991
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 225
Thanked: 102 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Am I the only one who gets confused when a biker is honking from kms away and continues to honk through his journey? I have been distracted several times thinking I've squeezed a biker into the median only to realize that he's honking for the sake of it and will continue to do so until he reaches his destination. I realize that this may be to make people aware that he's coming through but honking without a breather usually on Delhi roads ...

...Maybe I'm too sensitive or this really is another problem.
Totally with you on this. But its not only bikers (I call them motorcycle morons) but I've seen car drivers do this too. We have one such Polo driving idiot who screams his way at 100+ in the dead of the night. Don't know how to catch this guy. I had even noted the regn. no.

Unfortunately our house is on an inner main road and that too a corner plot. The other day I actually stopped an Innova driver and tried to impress upon him that there is no reason to honk on inner residential areas (or anywhere else for that matter). His answer stumped me. He said his boss has told him to honk on every junction. Its the correct and safe driving practice!

We've such a long way to go and alas we ain't reaching there in my lifetime.

Would you believe me if I told that Delhi is actually better?
LithiumSunset is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 01:43   #5992
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 111
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
Totally with you on this. But its not only bikers (I call them motorcycle morons) but I've seen car drivers do this too. We have one such Polo driving idiot who screams his way at 100+ in the dead of the night. Don't know how to catch this guy. I had even noted the regn. no. Unfortunately our house is on an inner main road and that too a corner plot. The other day I actually stopped an Innova driver and tried to impress upon him that there is no reason to honk on inner residential areas (or anywhere else for that matter). His answer stumped me. He said his boss has told him to honk on every junction. Its the correct and safe driving practice! We've such a long way to go and alas we ain't reaching there in my lifetime. Would you believe me if I told that Delhi is actually better?
In the US, horn is use mostly to say ' bye ' when you leave a friend's house , you honk and your host, standing outside his door, waves . Just two short ' honk-honk' .
Sometimes you honk indicating your arrival at a friends house if they are expecting you - one short honk. As you are driving thru a neighbourhood and you see a friend
, it is ok to honk , to which your friend responds by a wave of his hand. Using the horn otherwise is considered bad manners. Certainly not when you pass pedestrian
ladies. In cities , like New York, where the influx of drivers from South Asia have cornered the market as taxi cab drivers, they start by being rash and noisy drivers but quickly are forced to give up the use of the horn because no one else uses it and they are frowned upon or even shown the bird if they do. I have had to replace dual tone horns in three of my cars - why, because they just went bad because of non-use !
priyo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 10:06   #5993
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 62
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
In the US, horn is use mostly to say ' bye ' when you leave a friend's house , you honk and your host, standing outside his door, waves . Just two short ' honk-honk' .
Sometimes you honk indicating your arrival at a friends house if they are expecting you - one short honk. As you are driving thru a neighbourhood and you see a friend
, it is ok to honk , to which your friend responds by a wave of his hand.!
I understand it now, the people(mainly bikers) who constantly honk are actually greeting us! I've been rude lately for not replying with a wave, it seems...

A few days ago I was asked to reverse by a car coming head-on into wrong way. :x

Last edited by N.A.GTC : 21st January 2014 at 10:10.
N.A.GTC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 13:06   #5994
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 841
Thanked: 578 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Today came across a moron on Old Mumbai-Pune Highway. He was driving a brand new VW Polo. He was talking on phone and the car was doing 80-90 kmph. Meanwhile he wanted to shift the gear and he freed his left hand by holding the phone with right hand but on left rear . For few seconds the steering wheel was without any attention. What to call idiots like these..?
MaxTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 14:53   #5995
BHPian
 
Biraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NCR
Posts: 545
Thanked: 965 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Talking about morons, yesterday I observed mornonity of epic proportions. I was driving on the link road connecting Vaishali to Indirapuram. Suddenly a white Skoda Yeti, coming from the opposite lane takes a U-turn and joins my lane. Fortunately, I had slowed down at the intersection thus, nothing untoward happened. Then, this Yeti swerves towards left lane and again swerves towards right, and then back to left lane. I really lost it at that point and honked to bring him to his senses and remind that there are others on the road too. He slowed down and I came parallel to him to instill some knowledge but on noticing the driver, I had nothing more to say. A middle-aged man had his son (probably 8-9 YO) on his lap and the kid was controlling the steering.

The man was smiling and his son was elated at the feat. I can understand the kid's happiness but I am really at loss of words for such irresponsible parents.
Biraj is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 15:11   #5996
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,455
Thanked: 3,580 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Today came across a moron on Old Mumbai-Pune Highway. He was driving a brand new VW Polo. He was talking on phone and the car was doing 80-90 kmph. Meanwhile he wanted to shift the gear and he freed his left hand by holding the phone with right hand but on left rear . For few seconds the steering wheel was without any attention. What to call idiots like these..?
Ze Grim Reaper

or

Ze Organ Donor
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 16:51   #5997
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Talking about morons, yesterday I observed mornonity of epic proportions. I was driving on the link road connecting Vaishali to Indirapuram. Suddenly a white Skoda Yeti, coming from the opposite lane takes a U-turn and joins my lane. Fortunately, I had slowed down at the intersection thus, nothing untoward happened. Then, this Yeti swerves towards left lane and again swerves towards right, and then back to left lane. I really lost it at that point and honked to bring him to his senses and remind that there are others on the road too. He slowed down and I came parallel to him to instill some knowledge but on noticing the driver, I had nothing more to say. A middle-aged man had his son (probably 8-9 YO) on his lap and the kid was controlling the steering.

The man was smiling and his son was elated at the feat. I can understand the kid's happiness but I am really at loss of words for such irresponsible parents.
I have seen quite a few morons like this.
Few days back, I was returning from a trip to Bidar .. I was going at pretty high speed 120+ kmph. Now, one Volvo S60 overtakes me at very high speed easily 160 kmph. After that it slowed down a bit to 100-110 kmph and I caught up with it..while overtaking, I saw a 8-9 year old kid sitting on this guy's lap and operating the steering. Obviously, the father is still controlling the steering but still, how unsafe is it? I mean driving a car at 160 kmph with a kid on your lap! As a father myself, I can't think how a father can be so irresponsible.

On a separate note, a colleague in my office was doing the same - driving with his 3-4 yr old son on his lap not at such high speeds though. Few days later in the office, I told him once not to do that in a friendly manner. I could make out from the look of his face that he didn't really enjoy my advice - he was like who the hell are you to give me gyan? And guess what, few days later, I saw him again doing the same. I guess the only way these people will learn if they or their close ones experience something really bad ( I hope that does not happen though)
adimicra is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 16:54   #5998
BHPian
 
mahesh_sn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 173
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I came across a moron biker yesterday evening. I was at a crawling speed in the right lane as I was near an intersection from where I wanted to take a U-turn. I saw a biker approaching the same intersection from opposite direction and logically thought that he also wanted to take a U-turn. The moment I started steering to right, this biker zoomed in front of me forcing me to brake hard and stop to avoid collision. Then he slowed down, calmly squeezed through the narrow gap between my car and the median and moved on in the wrong direction, the direction which I came from. I gave him a stern look while he was crossing over that gap. He reciprocated with an equally stern look as if he owned the road and did nothing wrong.

Last edited by mahesh_sn : 21st January 2014 at 17:14.
mahesh_sn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 17:35   #5999
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PGT//BLR//STR
Posts: 1,982
Thanked: 1,393 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
...Money can buy many things, but definitely not traffic sense.
Milestone, isn't it on Hosur road, near GB Palaya? It's mostly the 2-wheelers and ricks that do this stunt of nosing their way through the opposite side on the service lane, and then blocking the path. However, never seen anyone have the time to get out of the car, remove the barricade and then squeeze in.

Another example of "Money can buy many things, but definitely not traffic sense":

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20140121_142936.jpg

Mr.Laura-man is in a hurry. He cannot wait behind the stop line at Forum signal. He inches forward. Hurray, the signal is green for traffic to turn right from Raheja Arcade side towards Adugodi - after all it's a green, why wait now! He bullies the traffic and makes his way.

I posted a complaint in the BTP Public Eye portal:

Name:  complaint.JPG
Views: 1108
Size:  65.1 KB

With the way he drove off, it makes me wonder why he doesn't have any pending violations on this car!
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 21:10   #6000
BHPian
 
nareshov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 268
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
...I saw a 8-9 year old kid sitting on this guy's lap and operating the steering. Obviously, the father is still controlling the steering but still, how unsafe is it? I mean driving a car at 160 kmph with a kid on your lap! As a father myself, I can't think how a father can be so irresponsible.

On a separate note, a colleague in my office was doing the same - driving with his 3-4 yr old son on his lap not at such high speeds though. Few days later in the office, I told him once not to do that in a friendly manner.
...
All it takes is the slightest reason for the airbag to blow up in the kid's face. Try describing that to colleague! Or maybe not: it probably does take the hard way to learn sometimes.
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them rajeev k Street Experiences 88 18th September 2017 13:31
Official Sign / Code when you spot another T-Bhpian on Road Otomobil Shifting gears 85 10th February 2011 19:58
5009 KMS-A'bad-Calicut-Bangy-Hyd-Aur'Bad-A'Bad-Report ramkya1 Travelogues 48 4th August 2010 00:04
A bad bad bad night for me.... Ranjan Sharma Street Experiences 38 8th April 2010 12:02
My accident - Bad brakes, bad rain, bad luck... vezj420 Street Experiences 41 22nd May 2007 10:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks