Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st February 2014, 14:19   #6046
BHPian

Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Maybe, there were vehicles in the proper parking area when he came. Most would have left when you took the pic.

Else, he's stupid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
...Maybe, this bike was parked obstructing the way for someone who'd parked properly, and the latter, while taking his vehicle out, would've moved the former to the middle - to make the owner look like an idiot (which he anyway is).

The only other reason could be, the particular biker had a call of nature

Agree, maybe there were other bikes parked. Have seen bikes parked perpendicular to the marked area when parking area is full. It could be that this guy had left previous day when the parking was full, and someone moved it in this way to take out his/her bike. This one was very unusual sight, and by the way this was in the morning.

Cheers !!!
Milestone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 13:44   #6047
Distinguished - BHPian

Another stupid driver, today near VST motors (after Spence Plaza, Chennai).

Road :: The second right after Spencer Plaza signal which takes you to Express Avenue (by the side of VST motors & La Woods hotel).

Stunt attempted :: The guy drives a silver spark, sees a manhole lid slightly raised in the middle of the road, does a stylish left & immediate right swipe, almost knocks down a two wheeler with 2 persons on it.

Looked quite funny to me the way he maneuvered; like he was driving a truck. Got a mouthful from the rider and moved on.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd February 2014 at 13:46.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 11:31   #6048
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

While traveling on NH4 towards Satara last Saturday morning, I came across this stupid driver. It was brown duster and had a tiger symbol of the famous political party in Maharashtra on the rear screen. At the Khed-Shivapur toll naka, this guy refused to pay the toll and tried to pass. However he was ganged up by 4 burly guards with a metal barricade and stopped then & there. He tried all sorts of reasoning with them, but they refused to budge. Ultimately he paid the 75/- toll, but not before holding up me and a line of cars behind me for nearly 30 minutes. I say, how much is that 75/- going to break your wallet and throw your finances astray; to hold up people behind you for half an hour at peak time? When will these people ever learn?

EDIT: He was a neither here nor there kind of a driver. All the way he was driving in the middle of the road at a leisurely pace; blocking both lanes. I however take solace in the fact that at-least he was not speeding up/bullying others on the road!

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 23rd February 2014 at 11:39. Reason: EDIT added.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 12:51   #6049
BHPian

Nothing surprising here.Bunch of impatient fools ruling the streets of Delhi. Driving in B2B on high beams.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wp_001938.jpg

Last edited by sinharishi : 23rd February 2014 at 12:52.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 17:25   #6050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Nothing surprising here.Bunch of impatient fools ruling the streets of Delhi. Driving in B2B on high beams.

Attachment 1210880
This is not only in DELHI but even in Bangalore too
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 19:05   #6051
Distinguished - BHPian

I bet none of compulsive high-beamers ever use their rear-view mirrors.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 19:57   #6052
BHPian

A new form of nuisance has cropped up in Delhi in the form of e-rickshaws and is growing at an exponential rate.

You can expect them to occupy any position on the road : left lane, center lane or right lane doing ~20 KMPH, which makes them much more dangerous than the traditional rickshaws which one could safely assume to stick to the leftmost lane.

Also, these are usually not at all driven in a disciplined manner : dangerous swerving into and out of traffic is common. Top this up with the fact that these are extremely fragile made-in-China vehicles which would be totaled even in the case of a light knock from even a small vehicle like a two wheeler and usually ferry anywhere between 4 to 7 passengers.

Hope the government comes up with a legislation regarding these soon.
powerwidFE is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:18   #6053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwidFE View Post
Also, these are usually not at all driven in a disciplined manner : dangerous swerving into and out of traffic is common. Top this up with the fact that these are extremely fragile made-in-China vehicles which would be totaled even in the case of a light knock from even a small vehicle like a two wheeler and usually ferry anywhere between 4 to 7 passengers.

Hope the government comes up with a legislation regarding these soon.
+1. They are really becoming the next big disaster to happen. Infact I am not able to follow local news in delhi these days. Isn't there already been documented incidents of these leading to road accidents? The way those drivers swerve here and there is extremely dangerous. I once witnessed one going at high speed when suddenly the front wheel came off and the driver just fell on the road along with the passenger. Looked like poor built quality.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 07:09   #6054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A new form of nuisance has cropped up in Delhi in the form of e-rickshaws and is growing at an exponential rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
+1. They are really becoming the next big disaster to happen.
Being from Bangalore, this came as something new for me. Did a bit of Google Baba, and came across this article in TOI.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/28162478.cms

Best part of the article was the opening statrement and I quote here:
Quote:
It's been the year of the e-rickshaw infestation.
Infestation !!
That is the best way to describe any kind of auto for that matter !!
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 11:49   #6055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Isn't there already been documented incidents of these leading to road accidents?
Yes, drmohitg, there have been several articles in the dailies about these leading to accidents and causing congestion and chaos on the roads such as the one in TOI mentioned by Soumyajit9 here :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
and came across this article in TOI.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/28162478.cms
The problem is that the police says that they are unable to control this as the law does not specify whether e-ricks are motor vehicles or non-motor vehicles.

God knows what is taking the government so long to decide this? What is the confusion? These do have an electric motor and therefore, technically should be classified as "motor vehicles" thus giving the police direct powers to control and challan them for traffic rule violations.

Heck, if these indeed aren't motor vehicles, then neither is the Reva nor the hybrid vehicles "when" they run on electricity.
powerwidFE is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 15:58   #6056
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You can expect them to occupy any position on the road : left lane, center lane or right lane doing ~20 KMPH, which makes them much more dangerous than the traditional rickshaws which one could safely assume to stick to the leftmost lane.
True this.

I was in Delhi over Expo week and stayed very close to New Delhi station. Feared for my life every time I hired one of these e-ricks to the station and back. Unfortunately it was the cheapest and fastest way to shuttle across.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 17:18   #6057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
True this.

Feared for my life every time I hired one of these e-ricks to the station and back. Unfortunately it was the cheapest and fastest way to shuttle across.
Absolutely! FlyingSpur, this is the real problem, even bigger than the absence of regulations.

People prefer to risk their lives for the convenience and value for money these e-ricks offer over buses and consequently, do not protest. This leads to increase in demand and hence, more of these things on the roads. Even I am sometimes tempted to flag down one of these to the nearest Metro station, but mostly better sense prevails.

If either people stop using these things altogether or protest against the dangerous way they use the road, things will improve in almost no time. But, since this is Delhi, it is not going to happen anytime soon.
powerwidFE is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 08:48   #6058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
People prefer to risk their lives for the convenience and value for money these e-ricks offer over buses....
Guilty as charged. For the first few times, I picked a regular cycle rickshaw - as I always try to do in Delhi - and paid him some extra because they really work themselves dry for very paltry money. But it gets so slow, and then I was always in such a hurry (or was it impatience?) that for the next 5-6 rides I just picked this e-rickshaw.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 09:28   #6059
Senior - BHPian

People in Koramangala area in Bangalore, watch out for a blue Hyundai Eon, KA-51-ME-492, driven by a lady in the 30s or early 40s.

For this person,
the Zebra lines are there for zebras to cross, and not for people
indicators are vanity lights, that would lose their charm if they are turned on
turning left from the extreme right lane is the way to do it
the other vehicles on the road in front of her car would disappear when she gets close behind them
She likes Shakespeare - all the world is a stage for her

Damn! I so miss my dash cam.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 14:08   #6060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Something similar here near Britannia Chowk (Rani Bagh). I wonder what do such people achieve, by blocking the whole lane behind them.
Attached Images

satyamkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote