Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2014, 00:53   #6451
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 94
Thanked: 63 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Well, I don't encourage driving with hazard lights on or riding with fogged up helmets in zero visibility.
Vysakh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 07:57   #6452
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,427
Thanked: 3,516 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

To the white polo TDI driver bearing registration number DL ** * 1306 encountered on Dwarka Flyover: Get a life dude! Every car out on the road is not interested in racing with you. I was driving very peacefully and at the legal speed limit. But you keep tail gating me, honk away to glory and zig zag around the car. Who taught you to drive that way? And just for your knowledge, if I want I can smoke you in less than 5 seconds even in my EcoPro mode. What made you think you can race with a 320d with its 184 horses. I didn't race because I don't believe in risking my life and other's.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 09:07   #6453
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL 11
Posts: 919
Thanked: 1,009 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
To the white polo TDI driver bearing registration number DL ** * 1306 encountered on Dwarka Flyover: Get a life dude! Every car out on the road is not interested in racing with you. I was driving very peacefully and at the legal speed limit. But you keep tail gating me, honk away to glory and zig zag around the car. Who taught you to drive that way? And just for your knowledge, if I want I can smoke you in less than 5 seconds even in my EcoPro mode. What made you think you can race with a 320d with its 184 horses. I didn't race because I don't believe in risking my life and other's.
Seriously! I've been wanting to raise this same issue. I drive my Beemer or my pepped up Yeti, I experience a lot of tailgating and rash driving the moment people (not all but quite a few) see me ahead or in their rear view mirror. Because of this, sometimes I find driving the Micra more peaceful.

Next line is meant for those who do it...

Why you kiddos why? (Offense intended towards the morons who do that hoping they would read it!) I am in no mood to race with any of you. Like drmohitg mentioned above, the Beemer and the Yeti (remapped with close to 200BHP on tap) is very well capable of making you eat my dirt. But safety of my passengers, myself and the car is beyond compare to your sick attitude towards driving and your sad ego. So please keep those stunts to yourself!!! Thank you.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 12:39   #6454
BHPian
 
neelchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 43
Thanked: 24 Times
Wink Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
Helps the bikers in a big way. During heavy rains, these orange blinkers are all that people can make out in the fogged up helmets.
A tail light gives a clearer indication and aids more in low visibility. Red light refracts the least or some such reason. Hazard lights dont serve the purpose, period. Just the way saris should not be worn in beaches and bare feet not in gym
neelchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 15:01   #6455
BHPian
 
Shanksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Madras
Posts: 418
Thanked: 1,014 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
This bad driver comes without warning, he is right on your face before you can even spot him!

Few years back... NH7, 4 lane highway, travelling Salem - Krishnagiri direction. ... A second delayed and I don't think any one would walk out alive from that scene from both cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Reminds me about a similar instance in the past while I was in my friend's Swift with his family (accompanying him as a driver as he didnt want to drive all the way from Cochin to Bangalore).

...

It didnt end there, I got really pissed off when that moron gave me a Gyan in Tamil "Paathu odikka vedndama" (in short, Drive carefully), then my friend and his wife were looking each other shockingly (they forgot the previous shock) on hearing my "Pure Malayalam" and "Pure Tamil" for a couple of mins. Surprisingly, a few locals and drivers also joined me.
Same thing happened here too !! 2 years back driving from Chennai to Bangalore, nearing Krishnagiri it was a gentle right hand curve. The curve however blocked further view because of the plants growing on the divider. I take the curve and then it's a straight for at least 100m, there I see an Innova in the right most lane doing about 40kmph barreling towards my Innova, I was doing about 90kmph. There was an auto on the left so just gunned it and moved to left lane. It was not heart-in-the-mouth close but nevertheless it was scary considering that it was my first long drive with dad sitting in the passenger's seat.

Last edited by Shanksta : 10th August 2014 at 15:03.
Shanksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 16:40   #6456
BHPian
 
Sanjunair5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 130
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Two irritating habits of many in Pune I have seen is;
1. People stop on the road with hazard lights on while either waiting or for running quick errands
2. Switching lanes with scant regards to vehicles on the other lane

I think both these habits are rooted in extremely selfish behaviors, which disappoints me big time.
Sanjunair5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 23:21   #6457
BHPian
 
Auswechseln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Goteborg
Posts: 53
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Two irritating habits of many in Pune I have seen is;
1. People stop on the road with hazard lights on while either waiting or for running quick errands
2. Switching lanes with scant regards to vehicles on the other lane

I think both these habits are rooted in extremely selfish behaviors, which disappoints me big time.
Some people have a misconception that the hazard lights are a license to stop anywhere.

On a recent trip to Goa, when my friend was driving, he used to do this frequently while asking for directions or to buy something. I advised, begged, screamed at him to no avail. He tells me " The hazard light are meant to be used like this ".

What can you say to such people ?
Auswechseln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 09:57   #6458
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,427
Thanked: 3,516 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswechseln View Post
Some people have a misconception that the hazard lights are a license to stop anywhere.

On a recent trip to Goa, when my friend was driving, he used to do this frequently while asking for directions or to buy something. I advised, begged, screamed at him to no avail. He tells me " The hazard light are meant to be used like this ".

What can you say to such people ?
Actually I don't have a problem with him using Hazard lights in the above scenario. Reason being that in our country people don't stop at designated places specially when they are running small/quick errands which will take them 10-15 mins. I see such people park in the wrong places blocking an otherwise perfectly running lane. Now the problem is I am unware that this particular car is parked and is not planning to move ahead. But since there is no sign, I end up getting stuck behind it, honk and flash and finally in desperation and after some abuses, agonizingly merge into the other lane while encountering angry glances from the drivers in that lane. Hence I much rather prefer such drivers to put the hazard light on which to me signifies that he is not planning to move ahead for whatever reason and offering me the luxury of space to easily merge into the nearby lane and not ending up stuck behind him.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 10:30   #6459
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,315
Thanked: 1,887 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Actually I don't have a problem with him using Hazard lights in the above scenario. Reason being that in our country people don't stop at designated places specially when they are running small/quick errands which will take them 10-15 mins. I see such people park in the wrong places blocking an otherwise perfectly running lane. Now the problem is I am unware that this particular car is parked and is not planning to move ahead. But since there is no sign, I end up getting stuck behind it, honk and flash and finally in desperation and after some abuses, agonizingly merge into the other lane while encountering angry glances from the drivers in that lane. Hence I much rather prefer such drivers to put the hazard light on which to me signifies that he is not planning to move ahead for whatever reason and offering me the luxury of space to easily merge into the nearby lane and not ending up stuck behind him.
well said. This is most evident in this particular spot of GK2 m block market.
Name:  GK2 Mess.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  34.9 KB
Inconsiderate Morons always double park their cars in front of the mother dairy to go in and buy veggies, leaving the lane blocked. This is a main road, and so inevitably there's a long back-up. And as always, drivers at the rear of the line, lose their patience first, and create a second line into oncoming traffic. Which results in choking up both directions.
Thankfully the police have started clamping cars that are illegally parked. But that's not in rush hour when smooth flow is almost always interrupted!

Last edited by joybhowmik : 11th August 2014 at 10:35.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 11:57   #6460
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,095
Thanked: 3,778 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A lot of water in the garden that took 24 hours to clear. None in house, but worried due to apparent lack of level managment in nearby canal, aka open sewer
Sorry, I should have been more clear. By property, I meant your car. Hope the cabbie did not damage your car while tailgating it dangerously.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 12:43   #6461
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 192
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Spotted a bad (selfish, careless moron) driver on Tilak road, Pune. This was opposite Shakti sports to those who know the area. He had the audacity to stop the car in the left lane and step out to get tea !! All other vehicles including PMT buses were forced to go in the opposite lane to get ahead. The guy calmly had his tea and then returned and went his way.

I was so angry that I wanted to go out of the shop and give him a piece of mind. But I knew it will only end up with him blocking the road more and nothing else coming out of the argument.
luvDriving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 14:14   #6462
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,689
Thanked: 6,856 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear. By property, I meant your car. Hope the cabbie did not damage your car while tailgating it dangerously.
... Stupid enough to sometimes forget that this is a motoring forum! Thanks, and no, there was no actual contact/damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswechseln View Post
Some people have a misconception that the hazard lights are a license to stop anywhere.
This is international. Even in London they often mean "I'll only be a minute/hour/day!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelchak View Post
A tail light gives a clearer indication and aids more in low visibility. Red light refracts the least or some such reason. Hazard lights dont serve the purpose, period. Just the way saris should not be worn in beaches and bare feet not in gym
Actually, white light is the most visible.

I do use hazard lights in bad weather when stopping, eg at a junction, with fast traffic approaching from behind. I turn them off as the approaching traffic stops behind, having obviously go the message.

Rear fog/high-visibility lights are for this purpose. I don't think they are widely fitted here yet, but they will be. In UK, far too many people think that there are only two settings for the lights: off and everything-on. This is a real pain. Had my first experience of driving behind such a person, with high-vis rear foglight, here in Chennai, last week.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 14:33   #6463
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,178
Thanked: 1,050 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Saw yet another specimen of 'parenting-done-wrong'! A guy on his bike wearing helmet with his 4 or 5 year old daughter sitting in front of him on the fuel tank. There is nothing much wrong in this, except the fact that the kid was facing backwards towards him and staying upright by extending her little arms and grabbing the handlebars! They were chatting and laughing at the signal. Wanted to bash him left and right for putting that beautiful kid on harms way just because of his idiocy or ignorance! Could'nt snap as I was riding!
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 16:44   #6464
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

These days I see a lot of teens riding their fathers or someone else's bike inside our area. They dont wear helmets and have scant regard for other users of the road. Some of them come barreling down in the center of the road excepting you inside a car to move when there is hardly any space. I dont blame them, they must have learnt it from the person who taught them or observing them ride.

There are also cyclists on main road trying to ride fast and keep pace with the slow moving traffic weaving in and out of some 2 wheelers or even cars. These folks are even more scarier as one small touch of the OVRM can bring down the cycle.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 17:15   #6465
BHPian
 
JASMEET MATTOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 272
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Every car out on the road is not interested in racing with you. I was driving very peacefully and at the legal speed limit. But you keep tail gating me, honk away to glory and zig zag around the car.
Very well said Doc.

Happened with me yesterday, coming back from in laws place in Gurgaon, I was cruising near Uppal's orchid going back to my place in Dwarka. Its a damn smooth road and one does feel like racing it out but hey not at the cost of others life.

I was driving peacefully, as I was exhausted, and a white verna tail gates me. Giving me lights and horns and man do I care! Wifey asks me to give way to the crazy driver behind and I have to comply.

The next minute I see cops checking the speed limits and this guy is standing with 10 others and eventually will be paying Speed limit Challan. Awesome feeling!
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them rajeev k Street Experiences 88 18th September 2017 13:31
Official Sign / Code when you spot another T-Bhpian on Road Otomobil Shifting gears 85 10th February 2011 19:58
5009 KMS-A'bad-Calicut-Bangy-Hyd-Aur'Bad-A'Bad-Report ramkya1 Travelogues 48 4th August 2010 00:04
A bad bad bad night for me.... Ranjan Sharma Street Experiences 38 8th April 2010 12:02
My accident - Bad brakes, bad rain, bad luck... vezj420 Street Experiences 41 22nd May 2007 10:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks