Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 24th March 2009, 14:15   #646
BHPian

Three wheelers really get my goat, they try to squeeze into spaces even a cycle wont fit and since they can't, they will sit there till they can, blocking your way, even though you're in the correct lane. Worse are the three wheelers which carry stuff around in the city, they'll come into your lane and slow down till you're crawling. I've had my run ins with more than a few, why I sold my car cheap

Others that are easy to spot are chicks with big glares talking on mobiles or turning around to talk to the people in the back seat and there are quite a few of these on the roads.

My award for the absolutely worst drivers go to the 'baap ka paisa' brigade. Top of the line cars with stupid neon lights under them or crazy spoilers and flashy stickers. They are the worst of the lot coz not only can they kill themselves with their stupid tricks but also anyone who comes into their path while they're pulling their stunts.
mwzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 14:49   #647
BANNED

i would like to know why would females ride their vehicles on the middle of the road knowing they are too slow and not letting other vehicles behind pass them even if they horn and ask pass??and then all of a sudden they would turn the either side of which you wont expect them to take while behaving gestures of other side
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 15:00   #648
Senior - BHPian

I live in Gurgaon and bad drivers have resulted in me learning a lot of swear words.

The following are some, IMO ONLY, who are dangerous drivers.

1. Autos in Gurgaon (I am sure that anyone from Gurgaon would agree with me on this. They do not know what a brake is and from the moment they start, they just keep going with the oblivious attitude that others would stop.)
2. Maruti 800. Now this is something that I have observed, but on an average I find that these guys tend to speed a lot
3. Innova/Qualis/Indica - Cabs (Do i need to elaborate)
4. Tractors (Again Gurgaonites will agree here, they drive like ambulances, on any side they desire, cut across anywhere and create a noise menace.
5. Super Modders (Now this is one category I enjoy. You come across cars with a few stickers, a tin looking spoiler, some windshield stickers, maybe some alloys, stickers of Ferrari, BMW etc, and they feel that they trained schumacher. Also I come across some guys, who play loud music in their car and all of a sudden feel they are invincible and start driving like lunatics.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 15:01   #649
BHPian

I think this fits here. Lately I have seen silver innovas taken by CISCO Bangalore zooms on bangalore streets mainly sarjapur outer ring road and agara road (My daily office route). Looks like they compete with the other taxi's and other CISCO innova's. Worst is they don't have any number on which i can complaint . 2 days back I had a very narrow escape with one of it. By HIS grace my car just stopped in time

Last edited by aka_iitd : 24th March 2009 at 15:02.
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 15:02   #650
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
i would like to know why would females ride their vehicles on the middle of the road knowing they are too slow and not letting other vehicles behind pass them even if they horn and ask pass??and then all of a sudden they would turn the either side of which you wont expect them to take while behaving gestures of other side
That's because they do not have the judgement of male drivers and need atleast 6 feet of space on either side to confirm they are safe and wont scrape or hit someone. No offense meant to female drivers
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 15:49   #651
Senior - BHPian

By the way, I forgot to add buses. The few buses that Gurgaon has, will see them stop their buses all of a sudden on any random road to offload passengers or wait for them. And lets not forget the Blueline buses of Delhi.

Go through the Times of India papers through 2008 and you will see the rap sheet of the number they have killed
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 20:37   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I think this fits here. Lately I have seen silver innovas taken by CISCO Bangalore zooms on bangalore streets mainly sarjapur outer ring road and agara road (My daily office route). Looks like they compete with the other taxi's and other CISCO innova's. Worst is they don't have any number on which i can complaint . 2 days back I had a very narrow escape with one of it. By HIS grace my car just stopped in time
The moment someone tries to squeeze through, let them go. At least your car won't get hurt. My policy is that the bad drivers will pay their price once. We don't have to inerfere.

I know the ORR is the battling field for Call centre/Company Taxi's. I would always try to stay away from them.
bijuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 20:51   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
I would always try to stay away from them.
LOL, that is called defensive driving!
It's kept my car dent-free in the deadly city of Delhi!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 21:08   #654
Senior - BHPian

another type are the ministers/MLAs sons(marathi number plates) who drive very very rashly.they other day i came across a white accent with marathi number plates being driven recklessly.

rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 21:39   #655
BHPian

I would like to add one more category here. IT company buses ! Of late, there are too many buses running on our roads and these drivers tend to do all non sense. They even beat the government buses in breaking the rules.

Today, one such bus was tailgating me for at least one km and when he couldn't hold it any longer, he overtook me from the left. Once he passed, I noticed that the area he drove was not the usable portion of the road . Its high time these companies educate their drivers on proper driving manners
para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 20:38   #656
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of bad drivers, I found this youtube channel, called Indian Criminals (link:YouTube - IndianCriminals's Channel)
The person films cars performing traffic violations and then publicly (on youtube) displays them and gives out their number plate.

cheers
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 23:04   #657
BHPian

While talking about cab drivers who think they are reincarnations of the gods of speed and the corporate buses that are perpetually induced with NOS, we have not handed out due credit to the so called keepers of the law. Cops who pretty much seem to assume they are exempted from every rule in the book that applies to every other soul on the road but themselves. Have come across everything from cops who drive on the wrong side of the road to traffic signals that apparently are invisible to them. It was bad enough with the rickety rides that they earlier had but now with the accents handed out to them in Chennai they seemed to have turned hardcore gaming freaks trying to enact NFS on the roads (just that this side they seemed to be at the wrong end of the law)

Once, while on the road I had a Patrol Accent creating havoc and almost throwing people off the road while it seemed to zip through every gap that even a biker would have second thoughts about sneaking into. He was all over my rear end honking his way to glory but I did not budge an inch. When I pulled up at the traffic signal, the car comes right up to me and had the audacity to tell me that if he wanted he could have knocked me off the road and booked me for rash driving as well to top it up. He then goes on to ask me if I knew who he was. Well I did not have much to think about but tell him "I sure don't not know who you are but I know for a fact that you cant drive." That seemed to piss him off a bit and after a barrage of arguments from both ends he just quietly left after he heard the word that cops dread the most. "PRESS"

Its an absolute shame that not only do these "guardians of the law", "friends of the people" and what not, seem to break every law in the book but also have the audacity to harass road users by their sheer position in the governance machinery.
petrol_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 23:06   #658
BHPian

Another type I avoid is people who keep drifting to one direction and then make sudden corrections. I have seen a lot of drivers who have a tendency to drift in one direction and even with lane markings dont seem to realise it!
equinox22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 03:35   #659
BHPian

This award definately goes to the female drivers, who will stop in between anywhere and then they start thinking about the parking space. Cabbies would be winning the silver medal as they are not afraid of anything because the car they are driving is not there own.
The bronze medal would go to Truckers , they would get on to the road from a dhaba or something similar and straight away they are in the middle lane at slow speed.
WOW i escaped a similar incident that was something man, i was on NH1 going to jalandhar from delhi , I was probably driving in 100 or 110 km/h in the middle lane , and suddenly a truck comes in front of me from the left hand side and i had to brake realy hard , man i still have not been able to forget the sound of my tyres, Screetching sound.
garry.brant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 08:59   #660
Senior - BHPian

We can also add these community called Luna-tics or mopeds.They just make a krrr sound and sneak in through any small gap.
Unknownsatan is offline   Reply With Quote