Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2009, 21:29   #721
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,953
Thanked: 1,587 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
although left-right is bad, i think you are missing the bad drivers who are driving real slow (30-40kmph) in the fast lane on IRR and don't budge. This at times causes me to overtake bad slow driver 1 from the left only to end up behind an equally slow driver 2 on lane 2. So i overtake driver 2 from right and end up back in lane 1 behind slow driver no 3 on fast lane. With an empty road ahead, i have no option but to honk-light signal and go back to lane 2 to overtake driver 3 from left.
You can see how I have become a bad driver now doing left-right-left looking like a crazy zig-zagger, just because slow drivers on fast lanes, have an illusion of going fast (at 40kmph) and refuse to budge n move to lane 2/3/4 despite incessesant honking and lighting by someone at 60kmph stuck behind them on lane 1.
That does not make you a bad driver. Atleast not in my books. If i saw you on IRR, i'd probably just follow you going left right and give my horn a break.

I've stopped considering slow drivers in fast lanes as bad drivers. To me, they are just slow. Bad driver is the idiotic driver behind a slow driver who decides to overtake the slow driver from left when he sees me coming up from his left and decides to go first. Thus blocking me.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 21:36   #722
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
That does not make you a bad driver. Atleast not in my books. If i saw you on IRR, i'd probably just follow you going left right and give my horn a break.
Aah - now that makes sense, i am gonna try and find one of this good samaritans who i can follow, instead of solving the jigsaw lane overtaking puzzle myself

Quote:
I've stopped considering slow drivers in fast lanes as bad drivers. To me, they are just slow. Bad driver is the idiotic driver behind a slow driver who decides to overtake the slow driver from left when he sees me coming up from his left and decides to go first. Thus blocking me.
now that you put it that way - yes 'slow drivers in fast lanes' are better than idiotic 'me first' drivers
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 21:44   #723
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,953
Thanked: 1,587 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
now that you put it that way - yes 'slow drivers in fast lanes' are better than idiotic 'me first' drivers
what puzzles me most is that till they see me coming from left, they are perfectly ok following the slow driver!!

And then there is this typical biker. I am the first one to stop at a red light, on the white line (where there is one). A biker will come and stop in front of me. Light turns green and this dude gets into 5th gear at like 30kmph. And all this in the middle of the road. Most often there are 4 or 5 of these, going side by side.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 21:51   #724
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
what puzzles me most is that till they see me coming from left, they are perfectly ok following the slow driver!!

And then there is this typical biker. I am the first one to stop at a red light, on the white line (where there is one). A biker will come and stop in front of me. Light turns green and this dude gets into 5th gear at like 30kmph. And all this in the middle of the road. Most often there are 4 or 5 of these, going side by side.
Haha..been there 'seen' that! Happened last month when I was in B'lore. Trying to turn towards Cox Town, I had 3 such jokers in front of me trying to get past a few meters in a high gear!
All I could do is drop my head in disbelief! Someone lend them some brains!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 22:15   #725
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
And then there is this typical biker. I am the first one to stop at a red light, on the white line (where there is one). A biker will come and stop in front of me. Light turns green and this dude gets into 5th gear at like 30kmph. And all this in the middle of the road. Most often there are 4 or 5 of these, going side by side.
yep that happens a lot with me, especially because normally if i am last at the green signal i prefer to get the red signal. That way i have a clear road in front of me when it gets green. But then autos, bikers come in and get in front of the whiteline blocking me
At times i have gestured them to move (to no avail), but more often its the loud exhaust that helps and they back off
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 10:38   #726
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,009
Thanked: 229 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
although left-right is bad, i think you are missing the bad drivers who are driving real slow (30-40kmph) in the fast lane on IRR and don't budge. This at times causes me to overtake bad slow driver 1 from the left only to end up behind an equally slow driver 2 on lane 2. So i overtake driver 2 from right and end up back in lane 1 behind slow driver no 3 on fast lane. With an empty road ahead, i have no option but to honk-light signal and go back to lane 2 to overtake driver 3 from left.
You can see how I have become a bad driver now doing left-right-left looking like a crazy zig-zagger, just because slow drivers on fast lanes, have an illusion of going fast (at 40kmph) and refuse to budge n move to lane 2/3/4 despite incessesant honking and lighting by someone at 60kmph stuck behind them on lane 1.
We are like that and meant for bullock cart age only.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 10:49   #727
BHPian
 
para_7k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: chennai
Posts: 462
Thanked: 62 Times
Default

Here is one bad driver. Let the picture do the talking
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-01082009004.jpg  

para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 15:15   #728
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

^^ i am a bit slow, what is bad here
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 15:50   #729
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,372
Thanked: 1,047 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ i am a bit slow, what is bad here
I had the same question, and then figured out that it is the fact that the driver of the car seems to be the one that has taken a picture!
On a more serious note, how to spot them????? Are they so rare that one has to do anything more than to just look around at any point of time on an Indian road? Even in the best of localities in the swankiest of cars? It is a national disgrace, even the way supposedly educated people drive. The ones that are not educated at least have that fact as an excuse.

Last edited by Sawyer : 8th August 2009 at 15:52.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 16:28   #730
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,692
Thanked: 6,863 Times
Default

Hats off to those who said not to spot them!

I'm trying.

Today I had someone right up my backside, hand on horn, on the Adyar flyover. I got narked and did my slowing to a stop trick, so he had to stop too.

Once on the LB road, I pulled to the left and waved him past.

Errr... why couldn't I have just done that in the first place?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 17:54   #731
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I had the same question, and then figured out that it is the fact that the driver of the car seems to be the one that has taken a picture!
On a more serious note, how to spot them????? Are they so rare that one has to do anything more than to just look around at any point of time on an Indian road? Even in the best of localities in the swankiest of cars? It is a national disgrace, even the way supposedly educated people drive. The ones that are not educated at least have that fact as an excuse.
Well even if its a fraction of the people on the road that are bad drivers, its the other good drivers who are forced to drive badly because of these buffoons. So to the untrained eye almost everyone seems bad, but truly its the irritation of being around bad drivers that causes most to drive wrongly in an attempt to escape the bad drivers.
So i have two questions
1) Now if this fraction of bad drivers were to disappear, will the other irritated (but mostly good) drivers drive right?
2) If all of us (supposed good) drivers, stop getting irritated by the bad drivers and ignore their antics, would the breed of bad drivers die down (with everyone trying to emulate the good) or multiply (ignored bad behavior grows with no resistance)?

If only we had a strict traffic police force, stringent license testing and negative points system with heavy fines like in other countries, the above 2 questions would never arise
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 18:09   #732
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,372
Thanked: 1,047 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Well even if its a fraction of the people on the road that are bad drivers, its the other good drivers who are forced to drive badly because of these buffoons. So to the untrained eye almost everyone seems bad, but truly its the irritation of being around bad drivers that causes most to drive wrongly in an attempt to escape the bad drivers.
So i have two questions
1) Now if this fraction of bad drivers were to disappear, will the other irritated (but mostly good) drivers drive right?
2) If all of us (supposed good) drivers, stop getting irritated by the bad drivers and ignore their antics, would the breed of bad drivers die down (with everyone trying to emulate the good) or multiply (ignored bad behavior grows with no resistance)?

If only we had a strict traffic police force, stringent license testing and negative points system with heavy fines like in other countries, the above 2 questions would never arise
Till I came to the last sentence, I was truly excited to read all you have written and where I thought you were going with this. Except - I would include in the definition of a good driver - one who does not allow his driving quality to be influenced by external influences. Including other bad drivers in that description of external influences.
And the last sentence disappoints because it looks to for all of us to behave only if supervised. Which means an acceptance of having grown physically only. Does it also mean that I will refrain from murder only because I will be hanged if I am caught? And I do not think I am exaggerating here, a lot of bad driving results in manslaughter.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 18:27   #733
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
And the last sentence disappoints because it looks to for all of us to behave only if supervised. Which means an acceptance of having grown physically only. Does it also mean that I will refrain from murder only because I will be hanged if I am caught? And I do not think I am exaggerating here, a lot of bad driving results in manslaughter.
yes you, me and the dying breed of good drivers will drive properly and don't need fear to govern our good behavior. But i am not sure all of the current bad drivers on the road are like us, they may need fear of fines to straighten things out for starters. In a few years the drivers on the roads will have discipline ingrained in their minds and fear won't be needed anymore. And then future generations will grow up disciplined and trained and tested to drive properly (unlike today's stupid driving schools and license system!)
What i wish for is courteous well mannered drivers on the road, but we aren't going to get there by just wishing
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 18:35   #734
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,372
Thanked: 1,047 Times
Default

Don't just wish it - Be the change you want to see. A transformation can only happen one driver at a time.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 20:09   #735
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Don't just wish it - Be the change you want to see. A transformation can only happen one driver at a time.
i knew that was coming the moment i hit 'sumit reply'
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them rajeev k Street Experiences 88 18th September 2017 13:31
Official Sign / Code when you spot another T-Bhpian on Road Otomobil Shifting gears 85 10th February 2011 19:58
5009 KMS-A'bad-Calicut-Bangy-Hyd-Aur'Bad-A'Bad-Report ramkya1 Travelogues 48 4th August 2010 00:04
A bad bad bad night for me.... Ranjan Sharma Street Experiences 38 8th April 2010 12:02
My accident - Bad brakes, bad rain, bad luck... vezj420 Street Experiences 41 22nd May 2007 10:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks