Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st February 2008, 20:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Death

Death stalks us all every moment.

I am a foreigner so I would like to know the following: what do you think would have happened to the driver who struck the woman if he stopped to help.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 20:23   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I assume this lady was a villager? Tamil Nadu village women are notoriously unpredictable, panicky and downright stupid when it comes to crossing the road.
Rks, lets not start commenting on the personalities of people depending on the state they belong to. Please !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
This is a phenomemon common to every place/state in india.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
once you honk they realise & you see kathakali in the middle of the road before they turn back.
on a lighter note that is a very funny sight.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 20:26   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
what do you think would have happened to the driver who struck the woman if he stopped to help.
Definitely would have got bashed up badly by the locals, would have been asked to shell out lots of dough, his vehicle would have been smashed too by the locals, probably even set afire in the worst case. I wonder how one can handle such a situation. God forbid that anyone should be in such a situation ever.
Old 21st February 2008, 20:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Scary! I can imagine the sight of the lady being hit,and how it traumatizes you.
It'll take a while for you to get over this,so there's really no other way out to forget it all and erase the episode from your mind.

Who ever decided to have a pedestrian crossing on a highway? What a dodo!!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 20:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
IMy suggestion to the govt would be to erect dividers which are at least 6 feet tall. They should be made of reincorced steel and concrete. Advantage in this is that headlights of oncoming vehicles would not be glaring and dog's and cattle wont be crossing the road.

BTW, i wonder if the SUV driver did see the woman, would be have been able to stop the heavy thing in time.
In Bombay city, we have dividers that are up to 4 feet high - does not stop pedestrians from monkeying over it - who should we blame, the motorist who hits them?

The slower you go, the slower and more the number of pedestrians who cross teh road impudently - that is the Murphy's law of Indian roads. I instinctively speed up whenever I see a pedestrian crossing (not at pedestrian crossings) simply to cut him off! Sorry to sound so brutal but India is a highly populous country, you will never get to your destination if you are going to make the entire road one large pedestrian crossing. Motorists wait patiently at pedestrian signals, but do pedestrians stop crossing when their signal is red?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 20:35   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Who ever decided to have a pedestrian crossing on a highway? What a dodo!!
i dont see anything wrong in having a pedestrian crossing on the highway. Abroad there are no villages around highways... only rest stops and gas stations that too very far from the main highway. Can we have something like that in India in the near future? I dont think so.

India is a land of villages, and highways are bound to weave in and out of them. What is needed is a safe pathway for pedestrians to cross the highway so that they can reach their fields/land.
Old 21st February 2008, 20:40   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
In Bombay city, we have dividers that are up to 4 feet high - does not stop pedestrians from monkeying over it - who should we blame, the motorist who hits them?
Sadly this is our India. Chalta hai attitude and the common perception is that its always the motorist "driving rash" even if the pedestrian is to blame for his/her stupidity.

So if 4 feet high dividers cannot stop the monkey antics, 6 feet ones will. That probably will also make some people good high jumpers. I can see our country getting more medals at this rate.
Old 21st February 2008, 20:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
India is a land of villages, and highways are bound to weave in and out of them. What is needed is a safe pathway for pedestrians to cross the highway so that they can reach their fields/land.
I agree,it is needed.But without proper indication and signs,its nothing but a recepie for disaster. Barricades ought to be provided where ever possible.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 20:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

I would say major mistake should be NHAI. When you are constructing such highways, there should be provision from the authourity to make sure no mistakes happen. Never build a system assuming IF everything goes normal, no issues. Everyone knows that not all Pedestrians would use the skywalk or subways if provided, sure. But atleast in the long run this will help.

I am just wondering how the expressways would be... same like this?

Ofcourse, each individual should also take care of themself. Afterall its one's own life.

Not only pedestrians, I have seen several bullock carts, and even trucks and car coming in the wrong directions so, not to take U turn and avoid the distance. This is also equally dangerous. Hope we can make the difference. First by not doing this ourselves, and next by recommending our friends and relative. Remember, together we can make it.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 21:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
But without proper indication and signs,its nothing but a recepie for disaster. Barricades ought to be provided where ever possible.
Put all that you have mentioned in place and try educating the imbeciles. They simply will ignore it, this is India.

OT :

Adi' do you remember one of our t-bhp meets when you were in town ? 3 fools who were walking on the exit ramp of the hebbal fly-over right in the middle of the road.

I still remember the look on their faces .
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 21:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

LC,

Let the past be there. Thinking about it will not help. And do not let it get into your system too much. Unfortunate that a life was lost (which I am sure, based on what you said happened).

I am sure all of you would agree that driving in a highway is a pain, not only because of the pot holes, unruly traffic but also the peoples 'who cares' attitude while crossing, getting on the highway and so on. You will be driving at 120+ and there will be this super-man in his super fast Hero cycle trying to cut across the road!

Seems like people do not have respect for their own life!

And asking about whom to blame - NHAI, the woman, or the vehicle:

NHAI - well, if the road was well planned (not sure if we can have a 'well planned' road here in India, since I am sure no one will use the footpath if there was one!!)

the woman - she should have looked if there was on coming traffic and then crossed. but then whom are you kidding, we are talking about someone (most probably a villager) who has seen the road ever since it might have been a dirt track; and she might have crossed it 10,000 times! so this was supposed to be just another walk over to the other side (unfortunately, the other side was something not the planned one!). maybe she was concentrating on something else... maybe ...

the vehicle - the person should have had his senses up when driving at such high speed. the faster you go the more concentration and faster response required; if you cant, then don't drive fast. but the pseron is driving on a highway where vehicles have the right of way. what fun is it to drive on a highway if you have to slow down every 1 km!!! if that was the case you could have very well driven thru the town!

and come on guys, do you think if that driver stopped to help, he would have been able to? wouldn't the crowd be more interested in getting as much money, breaking his vehicle , beating the person up???

at the end - whose ever fault it was - life gone is gone.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 21:24   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Adi' do you remember one of our t-bhp meets when you were in town ? 3 fools who were walking on the exit ramp of the hebbal fly-over right in the middle of the road.

I still remember the look on their faces .
sure i remember. what a sight that was. They shat their load right in their pants.
Old 21st February 2008, 21:36   #28
Team-BHP Support

I do not hold the SUV driver at fault.
120-130kmph is quite a common speed on the GQ. Even at 80kmph you cannot avoid people. So anybody driving above 30kmph is rash.
I have had to swerve very hard to avoid cyclists and pedestrians on highways(they wear black clothes at night and cross the road with gay abandon), even when I am doing speeds below the limit(Speed limit is 90kmph on GT road).
Sure its a horrific accident, and if the SUV guy had stopped he would have been lynched to death by the mob.
I do not blame him for running away.

Also in such incidents the law always takes the side of the dead no matter whose fault it is.

People who cross expressways like its the street opposite their house cannot be helped.
They are just eligible for Darwin awards.
I have no sympathy for them either. Once I was with my wife and we avoided a major accident due to one such dude who jumped from behind the bushes on the divider onto the fast lane.
I was doing 90 and he was bare 10 meters away. I knew braking will just make me skid and hit him. So I just yanked the steering to the left and avoided him by inches.
I lost control and went off the shoulder, luckily the berm was wide and the car stopped in time.
I don't think people who step on highways deserve much sympathy.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 22:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

130km/hr? Too fast IMO even in a sedan. Look, there must be SOME reason why even developed countries maintain a speed limit on their roads. Even if we take the UK's 70 miles/hr as a benchmark, that's 112km/hr. And that's on access-controlled fenced 6 lane motorways!

130km/hr? Too IRRESPONSIBLY fast. Maybe we should do a very very simple test as part of an 'advanced' driving test: just emergency-brake from 100km/hr on a deserted stretch of road. I guarantee most people will think twice about doing 130km/hr on our Indian 'highways'!

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st February 2008 at 22:07. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 22:06   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Comments noted about what would have happened to the guy if he had stopped. I guess this is the biggest nightmare about driving in India.

In UK, we may not have villages on Motorways, and, in fact, pedestrians are strictly banned, but we have "A" roads which certainly pass through villages, towns, etc. Where they do, the speed limit is severely restricted, sometimes to as little as 30MPH (about 50 KmPH I guess) or even less if a school happens to be nearby. The speed limits are often enforced by speed cameras, resulting in heavy fines for exceeding them.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote