Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 22nd February 2008, 11:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

@Landcruiser: That was really a nasty accident and i suppose though indian highways are better laid up now, one should not cruise around in high speeds due to numerous factors like
1. Villages in between and pedestrians along with 2 wheelers merge into the highway @ will.
2. Secondly Traffic zones in between villages are a sure thing to watch out.

@Tsk1979: Tanveer mob violence in india is surely on a high as firstly the trucker is @ fault and mob fury is always @ its worse and ironically one cannot register a FIR too i think against a mob unless you specifically identify the persons involved.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:56   #47
Team-BHP Support

Sateesh, reading about the incident itself was quite horrifying, and so the agony that you are going through can be well understood. You did the right thing calling up the cops, and asking for help. I guess there wasnt anything more which you could have done.

Somehow our highways are just death-traps. Despite how good the roads are, there is a lot of danger lurking on them, and high speeds are definitely a no-no. Even on extremely good roads i make sure i never exceed 100kmph, despite what my fellow passengers feel (they have always been quite co-operative so far).

We can blame the SUV drver for driving fast, but an equal amount of the blame goes to the lady who probably didnt think much about what she was getting into. I relate with what tadu had mentioned on another thread. Maybe this incident would serve a as a reminder to other empty-headed people on the need to cross roads safely. They MUST realize that cars on the highway cannot brake and stop as effectively as they do on citry roads, when pedestrians perform such similar stunts.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:10   #48
Team-BHP Support

100kmph is not a safe speed on our highways, the safe speed is actually around 40-50kmph, anything above that is pushing our luck.
I do highway runs multiple times every month, and even thought the posted speed limit is 90, driving at that speed has a lot of danger involved.
I have managed to avoid tractors coming at night in the wrong direction in fast lane without headlights on, cyclists jumping in from medians, pedestrians dashing across road, drunk bikers.
I once even witnessed a two car crash, all due to a cyclist.
Both of them were doing around 80, one swerved, hit the other car guy and both went off the road into the bushes. Luckily no injuries, just shaken.

there was no mob to lynch the cyclist, and he vanished in no time.

Only way that could have been prevented if they were doing 40kmph instead of 80.

As for this accident, even if the SUV guy was doing 100kmph, avoiding a pedestrian is not easy. 100kmph is close to 30 meters per second, and by the time you realize such pedestrians are history.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:12   #49
BHPian

Check out the following link. Spine chilling incident - just not able to digest that this could happen in India.

'Killer' driver burnt alive in WB-Kolkata-Cities-The Times of India
G-BoleroBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

LandCruiser, I know it must be quite a traumatising experience. Do not dwell on it too long : you did the best you can , and it is best to leave these harrowing thoughts behind you now.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation I agree with all the points you have made, Torqy

After I read thru all the replies to this thread, I wanted to add something on my own : but realised that a lot of similar thought had already been expreessed by Torqy. Hence, quoting the entire reply again :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
That was a very bad statement. Does it mean that nothing like this happens in your part of the world?

Come to Bangalore, i'll show you how software engineers from all parts of India cross roads.

Hmmmmm....a bit harsh there. India is definitely not like US where you DON'T NEED to worry about pedestrians on highways. Our highways necessarily pass through densely populated villages and small towns. India is CROWDED everywhere. Right in the middle of our metros we see EDUCATED guys / gals driving in the driving in the opposite drirection, crossing the road wherever they can, climbing the barricades etc. So how can you expect a poor old village lady to fare better? She might not have even seen a school.

So the KEY is to ANTICIPATE. Yes, you have to expect these things to happen and drive. I do a lot of defensive driving. That doesn't mean that nothing will happen to me. It could happen to anyone. But defensive driving helps. It also doesn't mean that i drive at 30kmph on highways. My speed is dictated NOT JUST by the road surface....but by the area it passes through, the amount of people on / near the road etc. I've seen idiots who rip through crowded roads just because the SURFACE is good.

DARWIN awards should be for people who are educated and who does these stuff right in the middle of the city.....like the idiot who drives to office on the right most lane at 30kmph when there is no traffic, who is still trying to undertand what an Indicator means, who can't understand why there is such a thing called Low Beam....etc.

You should have sympathy for the villagers.....because the fact that she is still in that village while you're driving a car is NOT entirely her mistake. (After 60 years of independence it should've been better.)

No offense meant to anybody.

My 2 cents...

-- Torqy

I agree with you entirely
Each and every point has been beautifully stated !!!
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:55   #52
Senior - BHPian

Post Some learnings from this accident

I feel there is no point in trying to put the blame on anyone (SUV driver or pedestrian lady)...........a lot of things can be said in hindsight, and may not be always fair to either party involved.

But, I think we can try to learn from such accidents and do our bit to reduce the probability of such a thing happening.

Some of the things that I normally do when driving on our highways
1. Stick to the left or center lane (if available) when driving at high speeds on empty stretches (and when there is a service lane available to my left). I know this may sound bad, but this is the safer way to drive, because the empty highway what you see ahead is not really empty, we can have intrusions (people/stray cattle/other vehicles) at the most unexpected of moments.

2. ALWAYS SLOW DOWN when I see a pedestrian crossing ahead of me (however far ahead he or she may be). If I continue driving at the same high speed, I am making a mistake (I am not talking about rules/law-related stuff here).

3. ALWAYS REMEMBER that the GQ is not an expressway (access-controlled road), and just a better-quality highway. Only in an expressway do vehicles have absolute right of way.
In highways (in India as well as in all other countries which have highways), there is always the possiblity of pedestrians crossing the road.

4. ALWAYS SLOW DOWN when crossing towns/villages in the GQ/highways
even if the road seems to be empty.

5. When there is some stray cattle crossing the road ahead of me (from my left to right ), I slow down and cross the cattle from the left side (basically, let them cross the road). Many a times I have noticed drivers just accelerating to cross ahead of the cattle . This is only recipe for disaster.

In spite of the above, the average speed does not get affected over a 5-6 hr journey.
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:57   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Me too. Torqy's post really sums up how we should be driving, and how we should be thinking in these circumstances. tsk1979 reinforces it with his experience.

It is absurd to drive at these speeds (120, 130) in any situation where there is even a possibility of pedestrians wandering around --- and on a road passing through a village this is not a possibility, it is a probability.

At the very least, that driver is going to have nightmares for the rest of his life. And I can't say I'm sorry about that.

I wonder if it will affect his driving. Maybe he'll just remember that stupid woman that dented his car.

Cynical? Me?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:02   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a trick question from one of my UK driving instructors...

When do pedestrians have right of way?

So, probably like all his students, I start to think through the British Highway Code, which we all have to study and answer questions on as part of our test... pedestrian crossings, signal-controlled pedestrian crossings, blah, blah, blah....

The answer?

Always --- it is just not a good idea to run them down.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy View Post
Check out the following link. Spine chilling incident - just not able to digest that this could happen in India.

'Killer' driver burnt alive in WB-Kolkata-Cities-The Times of India
I think that is what Tanveer was referring to -

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Today I read a piece of news in TOI.
A truck hit a kid on cycle.
Mod surrounded the trucker and he ran and hid in a locality.
Came out after an hour, the mob was still there.
they tied him to a tree. Beat him up very badly, stabbed him multiple times, and then poured kerosene on him and set him on fire. He is still alive and battling for life. doctors say chances of survival are bleak.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:14   #56
BHPian

Two things bother me - 130 kmph through a populated area, and this lady on a pedestrian crossing. Damn.
superavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:47   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Some of the things that I normally do when driving on our highways
1. Stick to the left or center lane (if available) when driving at high speeds on empty stretches (and when there is a service lane available to my left). I know this may sound bad, but this is the safer way to drive, because the empty highway what you see ahead is not really empty, we can have intrusions (people/stray cattle/other vehicles) at the most unexpected of moments.

Can you explain the rules number 1.If you travelling fast stick right line.Other points I agree.And if visiablity is low stick to 60-80 speed.I usally don't cross 80 unless I am sure.
But I know I can drive in 180 also.But it a decision you should make.
manziee_crusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:56   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi View Post
Two things bother me - 130 kmph through a populated area, and this lady on a pedestrian crossing. Damn.
No guys it was neither a populated area nor a village. May be there is a village just a km or so inside from the highway. I guess there is a bus stop on the highway on both sides. When I was returning I got down to see if i can get to know something about it. As it was dark I couldn't see any trace. But there were couple of women waiting for a bus on the side where the accident happened. So its my guess that people come from a nearby village there to take a bus on the highway (which must be a good full km inside).
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:06   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Rks, lets not start commenting on the personalities of people depending on the state they belong to. Please !!
Yeah..Women are the same everywhere
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:10   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I assume this lady was a villager? Tamil Nadu village women are notoriously unpredictable, panicky and downright stupid when it comes to crossing the road. My father used to warn me repeatedly not to accelerate just because the woman has crossed more than 50% of the road. There is every possibility that the woman will see some vehicle in the distance and come running back to your side.
People are the same [read as uneducated, idiotic, stupid, and arrogant, ignorant and what no] in every state in our country and the GQs..

Your dad is right in telling you not to accelarate..experience speaks
headers is offline   Reply With Quote