Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 22nd February 2008, 14:12   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
A very tragic accident!

Not sure who is to be blamed, the NHAI for constructing Expressways without proper pedestrian crossings (should be overbridge or underground crossing on such expressways), the SUV driver who thought he was cruising on the AutoBahn, the lady for the misjudgement in crossing the speedy highway.

Hope we can learn a lesson here & drive sensibly even on the so called Expressways!
I think they are learning. I have noticed in quite a few crossings/bus stops on the NH7 NHAI is constructing small underpasses which will help pedestrians, two wheelers, autos (may be even Nanos)
blorebuddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:21   #62
Senior - BHPian

if a woman gets hit by a train, its not an issue. if she gets hit by an SUV on a freeway on the right lane, suddenly people as asking questions about who to blame. Any human with elementary intelligence, forget education, should realize that the risks involved and act prudently in both cases.

Last edited by greenhorn : 22nd February 2008 at 14:22.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
if a woman gets hit by a train, its not an issue. if she gets hit by an SUV on a freeway on the right lane, suddenly people as asking questions about who to blame.
This is not an apple-to-apple comparison : this comparison is not fair.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:05   #64
Senior - BHPian

well, not entirely, but there is reasonable similarity. I do understand that in city/ populated areas, you drive with your guard up, but on a freeway?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:24   #65
Senior - BHPian

That's very sad. Let her soul RIP and the SUV driver get away with those nagging thoughts quickly

One lesson here is to control that rush getting its peak even if the situation is inviting. I like this section very much as we learn a lot reading others experiences.

Iam thinking in the lines of FFE / A highway trip / maintaining speeds at 140 kmph. Just 15 mins of reading raises a question - Is that worth?

Hmmm.........This section brings a real perfect balance betweeen enjoying the motor and on safety driving

Last edited by Surprise : 22nd February 2008 at 15:26.
Surprise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:21   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Anyway... you are going to have to accept that the mental and emotional scar of this event is going to be with you for a while. No movie is going to wipe away that sight. Accepting this can make it easier for you to live with, because you won't struggle to suppress the memory. Time heals --- in the end. Having talked about it helps too.
LC, I think that bit makes a lot of sense.

And, of course, my 2 cents:
> Driving on Indian roads, there is no substitute for experience.
> I guess theres no one safe recommended speed for all. Everyone has different speeds at which they are comfortable.
> There is only that much I can do to save the errant cyclist/pedestrian.
> Having said the above, life is valuable. Period.

Apart from all the pain and surprises of driving on Indian highways, it constantly reminds me of Calvin - Building Character!
jagan0677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:44   #67
BHPian

I used to travel around 140 in chennai-bangalore highway, but when I see an ongoing village / pedestrian crossing coming, I slow down to 90 even though the road is clear, just to have enough time to react if pedestrians suddenly cross. As a pedestrian even when they see an oncoming vehicle they cannot judge the speed, they think that they might cross the road before it comes. As soon they are in the middle of the road they realize the speed and do some circus, leaving us in trouble to handle the vehcile.

The vehicle coming in the opposite direction (speed lane near the divider) is a terrible headache, They put the lights and come cooly in the opposite direction. At that time we would have just overtook a lorry or bus, suddenly we see this vehicle coming right in front of us, which is a nightmare. Atleast if they would have on the left side which is near the end of the road. Since that lane only vehicles move at slow speed, it is much safer, though they come in the wrong side.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 18:35   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
well, not entirely, but there is reasonable similarity. I do understand that in city/ populated areas, you drive with your guard up, but on a freeway?
Horribly callous and incorrect comparison.

a. The railways plan such that people have railway crossings, the trains have enough warning noises, are predictable, the schedule is also known to locals.
b. Its not endless - the cars never stop on major highways. Come to delhi sometime and see the dance done by pedestrians trying to cross the 12 lanes of the gurgaon expressway.
c. Not all drivers are comprehensible - the train is - it can't stop for you in time, nor swerve, so kindly get out of the track. On road, signalling is imperfect. If I recall the first message, the SUV fellow did make a violent cut to the right but still hit the lady.

That being said, spare a thought for the villagers. They were living in peace, the govt came, took their land, made the very area inaccessible/dangerous to them.

Well, we'd get pissed if in our colonies suddenly one fine day an expressway came up and our kids were at risk from speeding drivers, would we not?

It is not black or white.

PS: It is exactly courtesy threads like these that the dude who posted a Delhi-Jammu in <8 hours in his Aveo make me wonder if his luck/karma will run out on him someday.

Last edited by phamilyman : 22nd February 2008 at 18:40.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 22:34   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
on a "freeway" passing through a village.

Or are drivers not supposed to notice things like houses, shops, people walking around?

In my mother country this guy would be facing a prison sentence.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 22:54   #70
BANNED

Thumbs down

This is basically a hit & run case. There was woman crossing the road. That means there was a village.
  • Shouldn't the drivers respect the polluted area & slow down?
  • Speed limits for cars (its 10Kmph less for 2-wheelers):
    • Highway speed limit is 80Kmph
    • Sparsely populated: 50Kmph
    • Densely populated: 30Kmph
  • And the SUV guy was doing 140+Kmph
Basically, most Indian drivers are like, "India is a lawless country, police are too busy to give me speed-ticket, let me break the speed limit & get away". So far so good .
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 23:23   #71
BHPian

I cant believe that some people here think that the SUV driver was not at fault. High speed. SUV (more difficult to handle at that speed, compared to sedan), village, pedestrian crossing - In all these factors the SUV driver is at fault. IMO, the only fault of the villager was that she panicked.
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 07:45   #72
BHPian

A freeway is something that is access controlled and pedestrians or even vehciles cannot enter/exit as they please, only at designated spots, unless they are jumping fences.

A road passing through dozens of villages and farms is not a freeway, especially as it is open access.

In the roads of Karnataka, you can see villagers driving bullock carts, at night, without any red light, that too in the wrong side of the road because that is the easy way to get home from their farms. It happens as a routine, just after sunlight goes down and it gets dark.

We have to assume that we are driving in India. For all the stupid things GOI does, they have fixed speed limits sensibly knowing this.

There are so many other harards, list is endless

- crude speedbreakers without warning
- huge holes even on well paved roads at random points
- double lane road becoming single lane without any warning
- Lane markings done so wierd if you stick to your lane at an intersection you end up wrong side of road a while later!
ggkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 12:42   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
Lane markings done so wierd if you stick to your lane at an intersection you end up wrong side of road a while later!
Yes, the amazing Richmond Road flyover is a shining example of our BRILLIANT road design engineers. He He.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 13:13   #74
jp1
BHPian

I had a similar accident with my Bolero. It was near Hossur after a toll gate. I was moving at 90 kms and saw one guy crossing the road and being on the highway I thought by sounding the horn the fellow will stop. But he did not and I made a wrong judgement, the vehicle was almost 5 mtrs from the guy and had no choice other than steer to the left to avoid hitting him, the vehicle toppled, went turtle and landed on its side. To my luck nothing happened to me or my wife and kids. The guy also was safe. Other than front glass shattered, there was no other serious damage to the vehicle. The lesson learnt, be on your guard, slowdown when you see people crossing whether it is a highway or a village road!
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 14:29   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yeah..Women are the same everywhere
Women are lovely, beautiful, essential creatures created by God. Now, please do not discriminate against women.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote