Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th March 2008, 10:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

I got a lady instructor after driving for a few days with a male one. (Details will be posted a couple of weeks later)

So, we are going to pic up another student, down some narrowest streets anywhere in India. Thankfully, they are deserted. All I have are a few inches on both sides of the M800, and not 10 meters of a straight stretch. So, after some time of driving down this road, I see what looks like a dead end. I slow down, and instructor asks me to speed up.

Me is confused, and suddenly, a rick comes in from the right side of what I think was a dead end.

So I ask "are we turning left?"

A:- No.

Q. Left, then?

A. Not that also.

Q. But then what are we going to do? No place to take a U turn?

A. shut up and keep driving.

At the end of the road, we take a right turn, and a car's length later, the road proceeds to the left!!! And the isntructor is laughing at me!!!
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 19:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

When we were just out of school, my dad wanted to teach me and my sister how to drive. And since my sister was elder, she grabbed the 1st chance. And the conventional hit-the-acc-when-you-have-to-press-the-brake syndrome hit and she banged into a drain. 24k worth of expenses, and my dad never let us touch the car.

After my post grad, me and a classmate of mine enrolled for driving classes last month. Since I knew how to ride a geared 2-wheeler, I was aware of the gears/clutch fundae and such. But the girl had a horrid time. She was told each and everything that needs to be done. For ex. The instructor asked her to give the right indicator. She promptly responded and continued in the straight path. When asked, she said that the instructor dint tell her to turn
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 21:30   #18
BHPian

The instructor asked her to give the right indicator. She promptly responded and continued in the straight path. When asked, she said that the instructor dint tell her to turn [/quote]

@FH, that was hilarious !!
Superleggera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 23:11   #19
BHPian

Will this story qualify as "learning to drive"? I think we all continuously learn, so yes!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...tml#post344731

Superavi
superavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 23:26   #20
BHPian

@ Nitin
@ Rippergeo

Those are the funniest things ive ever read hahaha. Can just imagine these crystal clear in my head. Ive been smiling since ive read your posts and i think ill still be smiling when i go to sleep.

O, and rippergeo, i wish my dad was like yours. Even though ive not had any accidents due to my fault, id love to have a Car Crazy dad.

A thumbs up to this thread

Unfortunately, or fortunately should i say! Ive never had any such experiences to contribute to this heck of a thread.

Finally, i agree, what is it with elder brothers? He says he is the best driver there is and drives like a lunatic. Jumps reds and goes within 1/2 a cm of other cars at high speeds and believe me, i feel that we have hit the other car. And he has banged cars left right and centre. I mean, i cant even count how many accidents he has had.

To top it all off, when i drive, at any given point of time he says "How the hell are you driving? Be more careful." And this despite following all rules and regulations and never having had an accident except when a private taxi innova came and hit me when he jumped a red light.

Thankfully i braked as he was at a right angle to me and i only broke a headlight with some damage around it. Else he would have gone head on into the front left door of my car. And then he gets down and ha the audacity to say that i jumped the signal and its my fault. Took him to the police station to register the fir for his insurance claim and spit it all out properly over there saying "Ek dusra gadi aage bada toh meine socha ki green ho gaya hai". Freakin idiot.

Well well well, i guess i did have something to contribute.

Last edited by Xehaust : 20th March 2008 at 23:41.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 23:34   #21
BHPian

I learnt driving at Bharat school at kemps corner in Mumbai, the funniest thing was the instructor thought he was the coolest and richest guy around, he would always talk about how many motorcycles he had and how many people he knew. He barely taught me anything, if anything he taught me how to cut off another vehicle driver (I dont do that but I would not expect an instructor to teach you that). At one point he tried to hook me up with some girl who was learning with us in the same car, I tried to tell him I was not interested, but he kept insisting that we hook up !!!!!
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 01:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
At one point he tried to hook me up with some girl who was learning with us in the same car, I tried to tell him I was not interested, but he kept insisting that we hook up !!!!!
For all you know, the guy probably has a dating/marriage bureau.. .
That would be 2 birds with 1 stone..!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 03:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
For all you know, the guy probably has a dating/marriage bureau.. .
That would be 2 birds with 1 stone..!

Haha maybe i should've said lets match the kundalis.....
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 14:14   #24

Default newbie driving

Though I was new to driving I had to use Panagal park area in T Nagar in Chennai for most of my commuting. It is difficult even on bike, as Chennaiaites know. Once I was coming home and with half-brake/half-clutch technique I was inching along the Panagal Park. Suddenly I found myself going backwards instead of forward. I tried pressing the accelerator but no use! Blaring horns behind me and I found that the engine was offhttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/LOL.gif So it was the illusion of me going backwards while actually I was stationary and all others were going forward. Thank god my reaction time was only a few seconds even in that confusion. Otherwise I would have gone deaf!
puyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 14:51   #25
BHPian

Today was my first day of driving lessons. The instructor had the control of clutch and accelerator. He asked me only to control the steering wheel. I followed that almost all the time during the one hour except once where I hit the brakes suddenly. He freaked out and told me not to touch the pedals.
srikat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 17:16   #26
BHPian

Default Being elder is not easy

1. This is story way back year 2000 when I bought my first 2W, HH Splendor. Just collected keys from show room and being new driver asked their guy to drop be outside as I was not sure how to drive on there narrow and steep ramp. This guy dropped my vehicle outside. I took charge of verhicle. This was my first vehicle, bought with my own hard earned money. After inspection started the bike and kept throttling and find vehicle is not moving at all. All guys behind me started honking. That same show room guy came back and told me, "Sir, don't check the vehicle, it's new. Just put it in gear and move on." My god! I forgotten to put it in gear and just giving throttle. I reached home by driving it only using 2nd gear. That was my max level of configdence.
  2. After reaching home, we had pooja. Then my younger brother wanted a ride. I drove while he was pillion rider and I instructed him not to talk or adive me while I drive. Otherwise bike will stall. I drove him till empty stretch of road, NDA road near Pashan Lake side. He told me he can drive very well. Then I was pillion rider. He took control, put the first gear and accelerated....vroooooom. First wheel of my new bike was in air while I fell down. This guy drove it same way one rear wheel, for next 50 meters and slipped on his left leg. He got a hair line crack in anckle and lots of swelling. Stood some how. I ran there to make him aside from traffic and lifted bike to side stand. Man within 1st hour of bike ride, I had a younger brother with injury, bike with handle bent, clutch handle broken and battery leaked. thats all.
  3. Now my same brother has 4W license without learning any driving and wanted to drive my SX4. I said no man, NEVER...

Last edited by omishra : 24th March 2008 at 17:34.
omishra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 21:51   #27
BHPian

Default Funny incidents during Driving / Riding Test

I was once taking two wheeler test. We had the same track from bikes and cars and I was taking the test for my two wheeler after 6/7 years of riding.

There was a Maruti OMNI in front of me and I was following it. The OMNI went into the H section and I followed it dilligently. I had to stop at the head of H and had to get back.

When the test finished I was very happy and was waiting for my turn to get my licence. When they called my number I was shocked to find that I failed my two wheeler test.

When I checked with the officer, he asked me if my bike had a reverse gear. I said no. Then he asked me why did I get into the H section??

That was when I realized how I was.

Please share if you had come across such similar incidents.
BheemBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 22:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Old thread, but couldn't resist posting this. When I learnt driving, my first overtaking was with a bullock cart. What's funny is that I could overtake it because it was parked on the road.
honeybee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 18:52   #29
BHPian

One of my friends was teaching his sister to drive their Dad's 118NE. They had apparently completed about 15 days of driving sessions and my friend's sister was by now insistent that he either let her drive all by herself or with my friend sitting on the rear seats only. So one fine day, my friend & I sat out on the rear seat of the 118 with my friend's sis at the wheels. The first 15 minutes went pretty smoothly till we entered Harrington Road (a traffic free road at that time). We were coasting along at about 20kmph when a cyclist decided to cut across the car to the opposite side. The 118 was just a few feet away from the cyclist but what she did next was unbelievable...instead of braking, she clasped her hands to her ears and....SCREAMED ! BANG and the cyclist went flying. Luckily he was up on his feet as fast as he had fallen and we were lucky to end up paying only for a bent rim of the bicycle.

By the way, that was her last attempt at driving !
slipstream is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 20:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

You won't believe this, but I have seen the exact same reaction from a lady riding a scooterette!! She was trying to learn riding on my sister's Bajaj Sunny. They had chosen the night time because the road is deserted then. Both of them were sitting on the Sunny, my sister riding pillion and giving instructions to the lady. The lady lost control, zigzagged a little and then started shouting excitedly, taking both hands off the handlebars. The Sunny went straight for the roadside gutter. Thankfully the speed was quite low and both her and my sister managed to keep the bike upright and get down without getting hurt.
honeybee is online now   Reply With Quote