Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 15th March 2008, 18:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
luckily in kerala, the animal problem is not as bad as elsewhere in india.
in kerala, u dont have that problem bcos they reach the slaughter house before they reach the roads....
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 19:00   #32
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
And you didn't stop either? Beautiful.
Stop? I would have to be out of my mind to even consider that at 10-45 PM, alone and carrying my laptop and mobile. I could get mugged, get falsely accused and lynched and so on. The guy looked well and truly dead, nothing that anybody could have done for him at that stage. I am trying to check out local newpapers to see if there is any news of what happened. Could be hit-and-run, or maybe the guy was killed and dumped on the road (known to happen). If the mob had collected by then, I could have been one of the victims of mob fury. So I consider myself fortunate.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 19:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Stop? I would have to be out of my mind to even consider that at 10-45 PM, alone and carrying my laptop and mobile. I could get mugged, get falsely accused and lynched and so on. The guy looked well and truly dead, nothing that anybody could have done for him at that stage. I am trying to check out local newpapers to see if there is any news of what happened. Could be hit-and-run, or maybe the guy was killed and dumped on the road (known to happen). If the mob had collected by then, I could have been one of the victims of mob fury. So I consider myself fortunate.
I always wanted to pass on maximum help that I could offer to the accident victims.

Being alone and trying to get out of the car at that late night is not advisable. Even if that was a genuine case, one could not do much being single. Instead of getting that incident into our mind, its better to pass through thinking that he was sleeping at the corner of the road & praying that he should not get hit by any speeding vehicle.

Last edited by Surprise : 15th March 2008 at 19:25.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 23:57   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
in kerala, u dont have that problem bcos they reach the slaughter house before they reach the roads....

Actually it is a very good thing to happen....at least the menace is not on the roads!
I recall an incident when I was driving from Delhi to Gurgaon in my uncles' Omni. I was following a sedan in the right most lane and couldnot see ahead of that car.
We would be doing 70-80kmph and suddenly the sedan took a sharp left. This was because there was a dead cow in the middle of the lane.
The space between the cow and the divider was so less that I could not take my car through it, so I followed suite and took a left because the brakink distance was also inadequate. Omni could not retain its balance and it fell on its right side!
Forrunately, nothing happend to or anybody else on the road at time, but the traffic did halt till the time people helped me to get the vehicle on the wheels and carried on.
The point I want to bring out is that I have been fortunate throught this incident, others may not have been.
susan3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 03:06   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whatever.

You could have stopped. Or called emergency services. Or an ambulance. Or done something. I'm sure, with all your years of experience living, and being a scientist, some idea would have struck you.

You had better pray that someday it isn't you lying on the road, and people whizzing past, considering themselves fortunate.

Like I said, whatbloodyever.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 12:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

@rks - there is a traffic police booth under that flyover . If no one was present there, there are cops stationed at the gate of BARC which is 2 minutes away from that spot.

I guess you should have at least informed the cops somewhere but I am sure you had your reasons.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 16:32   #37
rks
BANNED

Note that it is a populated area. If I stop, I would be the first suspect in the eyes of the locals and possibly the cops. It didn't even occur to me to try calling the cops, but if I did they would know my mobile number. What prevents them from making me the suspect in a hit-and-run case (especially if the accident had happened just then). I have heard many stories of good samaritans suffering at the hands of the locals and the police. I must confess I didn't even know the emergency police number. I have only the Expressway numbers stored on my mobile. Next time will be better prepared.

The Sion-Panvel highway is notorious for being unsafe late at night and that is always on my mind when I take that route every week. There have been stories of techies being followed and murdered on this road. Could have been a drunk lying on the road, as Surprise pointed out. Could even have been a trap for all I know.

The man was spread-eagled and totally still and lifeless, almost on the middle of the road. My headlights caught some vague object on the road from some distance and I barely got a glimpse as I swerved around him. Good that I was on high beam, otherwise could have been close at that speed. Could not find any news in TOI or Mumbai Mirror.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 17:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note that it is a populated area.

The Sion-Panvel highway is notorious for being unsafe late at night
Not at the spot you saw the man fallen. I really doubt if you would have been mugged there !!

rks - the place that you are describing is pretty unsafe for motorists as people dart across the roads when the vehicles approach the flyover at some speed as they are going downhill. But there is a traffic police booth under that flyover , at the BARC gate and then at Panjra Pool signal (where you see Shivaji's statue). I presume you would have gone over the flyover and towards Deonar right ?

Quote:
and that is always on my mind when I take that route every week.
I guess it is always better to avoid night travel unless absolutely necessary.
Old 16th March 2008, 17:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Anyways we have gone way off topic. so lets stick to the damage the cows can cause on our highway.
Old 16th March 2008, 17:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note that it is a populated area. If I stop, I would be the first suspect in the eyes of the locals and possibly the cops. It didn't even occur to me to try calling the cops, but if I did they would know my mobile number. What prevents them from making me the suspect in a hit-and-run case (especially if the accident had happened just then). I have heard many stories of good samaritans suffering at the hands of the locals and the police. I must confess I didn't even know the emergency police number. I have only the Expressway numbers stored on my mobile. Next time will be better prepared.

The Sion-Panvel highway is notorious for being unsafe late at night and that is always on my mind when I take that route every week. There have been stories of techies being followed and murdered on this road. Could have been a drunk lying on the road, as Surprise pointed out. Could even have been a trap for all I know.

The man was spread-eagled and totally still and lifeless, almost on the middle of the road. My headlights caught some vague object on the road from some distance and I barely got a glimpse as I swerved around him. Good that I was on high beam, otherwise could have been close at that speed. Could not find any news in TOI or Mumbai Mirror.
I'd have done the same thing that you did, given the stark reality you have so explicitly described. This grim reality pervades our entire nation, and good samaritans are often harassed.
It would have been a different thing if it had happened in broad daylight.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 18:11   #41
BHPian

This happened sometime in 2006 . A group of 15 buffalos were hit by a college bus infront of Infosys on the OMR at night when they were crossing the road. All 15 were dead on the spot and the bus had severely damaged front. I crossed that place around 22:00 and found them all lying upside down.
Poor driver of the bus , didnt know what happened to him but i see no reason for him to spot a buffalo in the night.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 18:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Actually it is a very good thing to happen....at least the menace is not on the roads!
good thought process ...

so by that "logic", we should propogate heavy non vegetarianism especially in areas where cows are known to "stray" onto the highways !!...better still - start slaughter houses and distribute meat for "free " !!
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 09:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Default Accident on NH4 (trying to avoid a cow) - 6 killed

Six from Bangalore die in crash-Bangalore-Cities-The Times of India

HAVERI: Six persons of a family were killed on the spot when the car in which they were travelling rammed a gas tanker parked on roadside on the Pune-Bangalore National Highway-4 near Haveri on Sunday.

Software engineer Gangadhar Nalawatti of Hubli, who was working in Bangalore, had come to Hubli along with his family members on Saturday for the marriage reception of his brother Santosh. The accident occurred at Chakapur Cross in Shiggaon police limits when they were returning to Bangalore on Sunday. An eyewitness said Gangadhar, who was driving the vehicle, tried to avoid a cow which suddenly came on to the road, and rammed the tanker.

The deceased are Gangadhar Nalawatti, his wife Jyoti, son Arya, sister Shilpa, mother-in-law Vasanti and aunty Vimala. Superintendent of police M Nanjundaswami, Additional SP K Manjunath, inspectors L Venugopal, Girishmurthy, PSI Prashant Naik visited the spot and shifted the bodies to Shiggaon Government Hospital for post-mortem.

The number of tea stalls has been increasing along the national highway in the district limits. "Truck drivers park their vehicle along the roadside at such stalls, which poses a danger to traffic. Hence, I have decided to ask them to vacate those places", said SP Nanjundaswami.

==================================================

Goes to show how unsafe trucks and other vehicles parked on the sides of our National Highways can be - because of the higher speeds of vehicles. There should be more parking bays created along these highways. And no tea-stalls or other shops should be allowed along the highway (may be define some distance away from the road like 50 m etc.)

Also may be the highways should have barricades along the sides of the road all along.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 10:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

Cows, dogs, goats......sometimes humans stray on the road making it too risky ...

from my experience till now the stretch btw sagara and shimoga, is very risky often you can find herds of cattle crossing the road...

And if one is driving at a very hi speeds on any of the Indian roads, he/she should be prepared to meet the consequence...
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 12:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

It came to my mind that in recent past few instances, I never removed my foot from accelerator, when a goat or a cow was spotted in the middle of the road. Instead I cut through them sharply under the impression that they can be predicted.

An eye opener.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote