Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 17th March 2008, 13:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

Such incidents bring out a topic of discussion. What speed is a safe speed on -

1. 2 lane Highways without divider
2. 2/4 lane highways with divider(Risk of reverse traffic)
3. GQ corridor or fully fenced highways (Risk of reverse traffic)

Can we drive 100+ kmph in any of our roads with unpredictable traffic/humans/cattle ?
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 19:24   #47
BHPian

Safe Speed - Depends on Several Factors Such as Car Limitation , Road Condition , weather, whether it's day or night , traffic concentration are few deciding factors.
definition of Safe speed in my own words should be the speed at Which car can be stopped within a reasonable distance without causing damage to you , your car and all other third parties.

Cheers
Captdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:44   #48
BHPian

I was reading a local newspaper article. It said that that the local people intentionally put their cattle in front of speeding cars and ask for huge compensation. That is a business growing up beside the highways.

I agree with all you people. Slow and safe driving can prevent these sort of incidents. Even if the roads are excellent and desolate, maintaining a slower speed can stop your vehicles on time.

I would like to add one more thing, please treat the tractors and cattle equally. They are equally chaotic and dangerous.
black_panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
I would like to add one more thing, please treat the tractors and cattle equally. They are equally chaotic and dangerous.
Lol

Tractors are probably worse though, because you'll kill the driver if you hit it and that'll bring out a village mob
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:51   #50
Senior - BHPian

Cattle, animals are a problem almost everywhere. last year in the U.S.A. some friends steered out of control when a deer crossed the road. They were in legal limits of speed. . Their car banged a tree. One girl got a badly sprained neck and the driver got a twisted ankle. So it happens everywhere.
This should be in the Street experiences section. Mods..
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 01:15   #51
Senior - BHPian

Talk about wild animals,and it definitely is a scary thing to face. Last winter, a close friend's LX470 had to be totalled, when a deer hit the vehicle along the rear door. My friend was driving the car,and her 4year old daughter was sitting along the door that got hit.Luckily, the glass that shattered flew over the child,and the door caved in just about enough to stop a few cms away from the girl's leg. Scary stuff!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 13:56   #52
BHPian

What happened to me is funny but it cost me a lot of money to repair my car. I stay in calcutta and I was driving along the right hand lane when I saw a cow crossing the road. Since this was inside the city proper I was not driving very fast and had sufficient time to brake and stop so that the cow could cross the road in front of me. But there came this bus at a high rate of speed and crossed me on the wrong side ie the left hand lane. This spooked the poor cow who jumped up on my bonnet and while sliding off my car also broke my driver side ORVM. And all of this happened while I was standing perfectly still. Like I said , cost me a deal to repair the dent and the mirror
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 22:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidea View Post
And all of this happened while I was standing perfectly still. Like I said , cost me a deal to repair the dent and the mirror
Tough luck, buddy! Sure case of you being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
OT:I'm not sure how many have seen the video of an antelope jumping right over the bonnet of a cop car. Amazing, considering the strength of the animal and the distance covered in one leap!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 22:47   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Friends, do not forget NH2 is primarily in the Cow Belt. So what else do you expect. In my view the far bigger menace are the yokels merrily travelling the wrong way!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote