Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 28th January 2005, 11:40   #16
Team-BHP Support

Arrow

oh my gosh... I was also a victim or burst tyre... I drive my zen on Bridgestone G3 Potenza Tubeless tyres.. and this happened close to Juhu circle where the right front tyre knicked the divider at 85kmph causing a massive hole on the side wall and my car spun for about 2 360's and luckily for me the zen doesnt turn turtle... oh god!!! the incident still sends shivers down my spine ... though I agree it was all my fault... I tried to get too close to the divider whilst overtaking a Rick... I still have the tyre with me at home.. (Dont have a digi cam guys sorry no pics)... it looks like someone shot a bullet into the tyre... I also have had a puncture on the sidewall of another tyre when the tyres were filled with 30psi of air (The normal is 28) and the tyre hit a pothole (Sidewall tyre punctures on Tubeless tyres cannot be mend) have that with me too... although I have had terrible experiences I recommend the tyre cos it helped me gain utmost stablity in cornering when I raced with a Fiat Siena 1.6... I couldnt beat him in straightline but ate him up at cornering...
I feel the owner of the Vectra should claim for a "total loss" if the estimated cost of repairs is 14 lakhs...

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th January 2005 at 11:41. Reason: correction
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2005, 12:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
I feel the owner of the Vectra should claim for a "total loss" if the estimated cost of repairs is 14 lakhs...
well he will be recieving 12 lacs from his insurance company ...
he bought it for 16 i think in 2002 or early 2003 ...
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2005, 12:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
tubeless tires arent supposed to lose air suddenly.then how did it happen here..
and just look at the build of the Vectra.inspite of sucha big accident the bonnet,headlamps ,dikky door look okay.except for the roof
dude engine had completely collapsed the chassis is twisted ... the car was upside down whn help reached .. the front bumpers have collapsed they were pulled up later by the tow truck ..the interiors r ripped coz of all the air bags .. the oil tank also cracked up ,dunno how it didnt go up in flames ..
the whole body is not in line nemore .. he's lucky he was driving a vectra not an esteem ..
Old 28th January 2005, 17:45   #19
BHPian

Man, u'r friend is lucky to have escaped with minor injuries...

Could someone throw more light about tubeless tires!!!!! I thought they weren't supposed to blow.. i thought they were puncture free.. Seems like thats not the case...
vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2005, 23:23   #20
BHPian

just goes to show german build quality....glad the dude got away with minimal injury....damn lucky he was in the vectra!!!

anyone have any comments on relate safety of d-segment cars in the country? is the C the safest bet? i'm sure the opel is right up there on safety and solid build!
maedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2005, 00:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by maedi
just goes to show german build quality....glad the dude got away with minimal injury....damn lucky he was in the vectra!!!

anyone have any comments on relate safety of d-segment cars in the country? is the C the safest bet? i'm sure the opel is right up there on safety and solid build!
hmm ..i was wondering ..he would have left the car even without the broken thumb if he held the steering wheel from the outer side .whatt happened was that he had the wheel gripped the wid his thumb on the inside ..whn the tyre burst ...the steering spun so hard and so fast that the spoke banged his thumb ...and the speed with which the wheel turned tore the web joinng the palm and his thumb ..thats where he recieved those sticthes ..
he also suffered scratches on his forearms bcause the steering wheel cover ripped when the air bags deployed ...

vectra sets the standard in indian car safety no dbout .. looking at the car one wud feel the driver suffered major injuries even possible death ..

we r glad nothing like that happened and that he was lucky ..

always wear seat belts ! even if your going out just to buy groceries for your mommy !! they save lives ..
Old 29th January 2005, 14:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

man that was scary
real scary ...
i dont think it has tubeless ..
i had tubeless on my ikon and there was a puncture when it was being driven at 160 but it came to a perfect stop ..
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2005, 16:01   #23
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Respect the Vectra...hats off to the build quality.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2005, 17:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

WELL. after reading about all this i think i am lucky cos i have blown my tyres twice o two different occasions and 2 different cars but both times i did not lose control!!! was peretty lucky i guesss. both times the tyres were bridgestone potenza's gIII's
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2005, 07:33   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
whatt happened was that he had the wheel gripped the wid his thumb on the inside ...
Well that is the right way though! so dont try and save your thumbs by holding the wheel any other way!

Honestly. This guy is lucky to be alive! really.... Even though the vectra is a safe car, the same indgredients for the accident could have ended up with a very different outcome, the only thing that changed that was luck!

R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2005, 20:12   #26
Team-BHP Support

may be he hit a bump whhich dameged the sidewall
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2005, 22:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Well that is the right way though! so dont try and save your thumbs by holding the wheel any other way!

Honestly. This guy is lucky to be alive! really.... Even though the vectra is a safe car, the same indgredients for the accident could have ended up with a very different outcome, the only thing that changed that was luck!

R
how can it be the right way ?? your mobility is reduced while turning the wheels ... what happens when thrs a huge overstteer and need to make big opposite lock you cant do it wid ur thumbs folded inside ...

cheers
Old 31st January 2005, 08:24   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
how can it be the right way ?? your mobility is reduced while turning the wheels ...
Hey man,

Well, quite simply put, it you hold the wheel in any other way its quite unlikely that you will be able to make quick steering manouvers without risking the chance of loosing grip of the steering wheel.

Im not saying we should use our opposable thumbs to grip the steering wheel (at say the 10n2 positions) with our thumbs pointing straight towards the front of the car...but rather, at about 45degrees in the forward&upward direction.

R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 09:23   #29
BHPian

Could someone explain about tubeless tyres getting punctured.. I never knew it would..
vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 09:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

hey Vinsanity,
any tire can get punctured .in a tube-type tire,the air loss is rapid and u can lose control of the vehicle as there is a gap between the tube and tire.
when a foreign object pierces the tubeless tire,the loss in air could still be there,but it will not be as rapid as the tubetype.
u can have better control than a punctured tubetype .

but the tire bursting in a tubeless tire is something i fail to understand.
also,i fail to understand the logic of people opting for cheap chinese /korean tires which may look cool but suffer on quality.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote