Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 19th March 2008, 15:53   #1
BHPian

Default Traffic Easy Conference

In Chennai, there is a conference "Traffic Easy" planned to improve the traffic conditions.
This small news item appeared in Metro Plus @ The Hindu on March 8th.
Kinda parked it. Thanks to my to do list - it has popped up. Also saw a similar thread for Bengaluru!

I spoke with the organizers. They are welcoming suggestions for the meet. So please throw your suggestions, I can consolidate and send.
I plan to consolidate on Mar 21st, 5 pm.

Tips on traffic
On prospects and measures towards easing Chennai’s traffic. Soroptimist International is a worldwide organisation for women in management and professions.

Founded in 1921 in Oakland, California, there are over 95,000 members in 126 countries. Chennai has two chapters. The Soroptimist International chapters in Chennai are organising a one day seminar cum workshop called ‘Traffic Easy’ on March 22. The objective of this workshop is to find meaningful and effective solutions to ease traffic. The aim of this seminar is also to bring together various agencies concerned with traffic, environmental, educational and research institutions and leading personalities of Chennai to create a forum to lobby and pursue the issues of effective implementation of solutions discussed at the seminar.
Look up Soroptimist International of Great Britain and Ireland - Home or call xxxxx for details.

P.S:
I have copied the news item except for the phone nos.
In case you want to attend, please call them by following this link

The Hindu : Metro Plus Chennai / Miscellany : Tips on traffic

Last edited by druva : 19th March 2008 at 15:55.
druva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 13:19   #2
BHPian

71 views and no replies! Looks like chennai wallahs are happy with the traffic
Old 22nd March 2008, 15:55   #3
BHPian

Too bad I just noticed this thread! How was the meet ? And what where the points discussed ?
amitwiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2008, 18:17   #4
BHPian

I missed this thread too. Can you summarize about the meet for the benefit of others. Thanks.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 08:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Me too. Dont know how this thread escaped my eyes. I hope something is done about the never ending traffic woes. It would be great if we have an insight into the solutions that were proposed. IMO the first step would be to educate motorists for a while and then enforce strict discipline.

Last edited by rr_zen : 23rd March 2008 at 08:45.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 15:47   #6
BHPian

I couldnt attend the whole day. I attended an hour of the session.
They are planning education initiatives and some stricter enforcement of rules.
Smaller 2-3 hour meetings will follow where smaller workgroups will work on the recommendations and follow-up.

I have given my numbers to the organizers. Will keep the forum posted.
I presume you are all interested. I will PM you all about the next steps.
Old 24th March 2008, 10:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Any outcome or minutes ?
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 12:50   #8

Default Traffic Easy seminar

Today I attended a seminar titled Traffic Easy organised by the madras chapters of Soroptimist International. Though I had to move out before the finish I sat through lectures by Dr. Prithika Chary, Senior Consultant Neurologist, Ms. Shobha Iyer, Citizen Consumer and Civic Action Group and Dr.Murthy V.A. Bondada of IIT, Chennai. It was an informative and eye-opening session to say the least.
Dr. Prithika Chary talked about the health hazards of traffic congestion and how it is projected to be the no.2 killer in the year 2020 and stressed on walking for a short distance instead of what we do now!
Ms. Shobha Iyer talked of the neglected lot on road, ie., pedestrians and cyclists and hoped for consultation with people of the locality by the authorities before implementing any solution.
But in my opinion Dr. Murthy's lecture had pragmatic solutions and the way to implement them. Here now are some of the points from his lecture.
1. We don't use the same mantras for all functions. We have a different one for marriage, child birth, pooja, etc. The same way for a short distance we can walk, for one or two people to go with little luggage we can use bike or auto and for long distance family trip we can use cars.
2. While long term solutions are implemented the short term solutions also should be taken care of.
3. In Chennai context he gave the following statistics.
28% of the people walk
13% of the people use cycle
29% of the people use bus
18% of the people use bikes/scooters
4% of the people use cars
3% of the people use autos rest use lorries, trucks, etc.
Those who walk and use cycle are not considered as road space hogger s and also don't contribute to pollution.
Though 29% use buses it is less than 1% when trips by buses are considered.
18% of the bikes/scooters make 75% of the road trips.
4% of the cars make 18% of the road trips.
Autos used by 3% of the people make 2% of the road trips.
But most of the road related schemes seem to be having 22% of the vehicle population, ie., bikes/scooters and cars neglecting totally the interests of pedestrians and cyclists. If only the pedestrians are given proper side walks and cyclists a separate lane most of the congestion and accident related deaths will come down. Actually 40% of the accidents are due to traffic congestion and only 25% due to rule violations, as informed by Dr. Prithika Chary earlier.
I didn't take notes. Otherwise I could have given a much detailed report.
puyal is offline   Reply With Quote