Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th November 2012, 12:34   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Why do you Honk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Roads are meant for public movement, and not just vehicles. What are people without any vehicles supposed to do? Fly over rooftops?

And its not like only people in cars are paying taxes. Thats very banal thinking. A lot of people who are on the road might also be having vehicles and they might as well be paying the same taxes. Also they might be using the public transport and that is why they are on the road. Buses wont pick you up from your home. You have to walk to catch public transport.

Just think about the chaos if eveybody used a car or some other personal transport in India. Would you really have any space on the roads for your own vehicle???
I do not think the poster meant that way. The poster probably meant the pedestrians who are unable to use the side walks even if available. In OMR, the service road is wide enough to accomodate 2 vehicles, but still the tricycles, bicycles and pedestrians want to walk on the highway. And add to this some bicycles driving on the right most lane !
go-pg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 13:50   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Roads are meant for public movement, and not just vehicles. What are people without any vehicles supposed to do? Fly over rooftops?

And its not like only people in cars are paying taxes. Thats very banal thinking. A lot of people who are on the road might also be having vehicles and they might as well be paying the same taxes. Also they might be using the public transport and that is why they are on the road. Buses wont pick you up from your home. You have to walk to catch public transport.

Just think about the chaos if eveybody used a car or some other personal transport in India. Would you really have any space on the roads for your own vehicle???
I am sure everyone knows the concept of footpaths. Why run across the road when you have footpaths to use. And please lets not get into the argument that all footpaths are encroached etc etc, the solution is then to clear them, not run across roads, blocking vehicular movement.
Also utter lack of civic sense amongst pedestrians is appalling at best. People are regularly crossing roads, just below a foot over bridge, is climbing up and down a bridge too much of an effort versus risking life in crossing roads adhoc?

Regarding taxes, are jaywalkers paying road tax, toll tax, cess, vehicle tax etc etc? What taxes are they paying for using the road? If I pay toll, road tax why should I have people jaywalking across my path?
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 23:05   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I am sure everyone knows the concept of footpaths. Why run across the road when you have footpaths to use. And please lets not get into the argument that all footpaths are encroached etc etc, the solution is then to clear them, not run across roads, blocking vehicular movement.
So if footpaths are encroached (mostly by motorists only, you can see cars or bikes parked on footpaths if there are any, or footpaths over drains) then the pedestrian is supposed to clear them and then move ahead. So every morning if I am walking to my office, then first I should clear the footpaths. That is a good solution indeed.

Dont you think if there really were walkable footpaths people would use them rather than risk their lives walking on the roads?

Quote:
Also utter lack of civic sense amongst pedestrians is appalling at best.
civic sense?

Quote:
People are regularly crossing roads, just below a foot over bridge, is climbing up and down a bridge too much of an effort versus risking life in crossing roads adhoc?
Agree with that. If there is a foot over bridge then people should use that.
But let me tell you something. I drive everyday from my office on the Outer Ring Road here. I can tell you for almost 10 km distance (between Doddanekundi and HSR) there are no more signals, no zebra crossings, there is no foot overbridge and thousands of people have to cross the road everyday to go to their office/homes. In fact here in Bangalore I have not seen a single foot over bridge so far!

Quote:
Regarding taxes, are jaywalkers paying road tax, toll tax, cess, vehicle tax etc etc? What taxes are they paying for using the road? If I pay toll, road tax why should I have people jaywalking across my path?
More than pedestrians/jaywalkers I am frustrated with other motorists/bikers on the road. We have close to zero traffic sense ourselves. We want to ocupy any and every space on the road and always want to outrun others, safety be damned. For us, traffic moves in all directions!

I actually recall a funny mistake I made when I was in Class IX in Physics. There was this chapter on Light and at the end some fill-in-the-blank Questions. One of them was - Light moves in __(blank)__. obviously the right answer is: Light moves in straight lines. I'd written: Light moves in all directions

Most of us commit the exact same mistake I did there. Instead of driving straight in a lane we drive in all directions and use the horn as a magical tool to clear the road ahead! Horn has a use in very specific situations like approaching blind alleys or in the mountains. But on city roads?

Last edited by joslicx : 9th November 2012 at 23:07.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 00:54   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So if footpaths are encroached (mostly by motorists only, you can see cars or bikes parked on footpaths if there are any, or footpaths over drains) then the pedestrian is supposed to clear them and then move ahead. So every morning if I am walking to my office, then first I should clear the footpaths. That is a good solution indeed.

Dont you think if there really were walkable footpaths people would use them rather than risk their lives walking on the roads?

Agree with that. If there is a foot over bridge then people should use that.
But let me tell you something. I drive everyday from my office on the Outer Ring Road here. I can tell you for almost 10 km distance (between Doddanekundi and HSR) there are no more signals, no zebra crossings, there is no foot overbridge and thousands of people have to cross the road everyday to go to their office/homes. In fact here in Bangalore I have not seen a single foot over bridge so far!

More than pedestrians/jaywalkers I am frustrated with other motorists/bikers on the road. We have close to zero traffic sense ourselves. We want to ocupy any and every space on the road and always want to outrun others, safety be damned. For us, traffic moves in all directions!

Most of us commit the exact same mistake I did there. Instead of driving straight in a lane we drive in all directions and use the horn as a magical tool to clear the road ahead! Horn has a use in very specific situations like approaching blind alleys or in the mountains. But on city roads?
Regarding footpath encroachment, in Mumbai in the suburb I live in, there are several roads, which are currently free of encroachment. Perfect roads, perfectly barricaded/segregated footpaths too, however jaywalkers still prefer to stroll on the roads, what to do of them? As any Mumbaikar will tell you, the govt has built several overhead walker bridges, across almost all main roads, but yet, people are happy to dart across moving traffic instead of climbing bridges. These bridges are used by lovers instead.

Very less of traffic climbing or parking on footpaths in Mumbai, when compared with Bangalore though.

Regarding support for jaywalkers because of lack lack of infrastructure, thats no excuse, likewise the errant motorists too can claim lack of infrastructure responsible for driving and parking on footpaths.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 20:51   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
the govt has built several overhead walker bridges, across almost all main roads, but yet, people are happy to dart across moving traffic instead of climbing bridges. These bridges are used by lovers instead.
You are right buddy here on the observation made. Point noted!

In Hyderabad the situation is same. Many places there are Walk-Over Bridges but not many use it as they find it difficult to climb steps and walk over but find it interesting and adventurous to hop on the roads in between cars.

Can't help the mentality and only time can change and add sense into pedestrians as to use such facilities than walk on the road. In places where such facilities are not provided I can understand their situation.

The problem here is when a person is crossing the road and a vehicle stops to give way the person behind also must slow down and not overtake else the pedestrians would be run over as the driver cannot control in such sudden situations as 75% of the cars have no ABS to help in such situations. This situation I have seen and faced many times near bus stops where ladies get down and pop out from the front of the bus to cross and not wait for the bus to embark from the stop so the view is clear for them to cross and motorists to stop. Any bus stop that is placed gets a million honks in anticipation of people jumping in.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 17:35   #141
BHPian

Reasons I honk:
1) While riding two Wheeler:
- Announce my presence while overtaking cars/trucks (unless I verify their acknowledgement of having spotted me in their RVMs)
- Blind turns/alleyways in city riding
- Getting people out of the way (dunno why people need to honk at animals - dogs etc run outta the way even w/o honking, and cattle etc are gonna stay put no matter what you do)

2) While driving:
- Two wheelers, two wheelers, two wheelers!!! The IQ level of Pune bikers with regards to traffic sense is in inverse proportion to the no of 2wheelers in this city. Anyone from Pune will understand this. ;-)
- Blind turns and alleys again
- If someone is getting too close for comfort (about to touch my outside RVMs etc)
- I avoid it on highways, but honk if someone in the fast lane doesn't give way. If he/she still doesn't, and if possible, I overtake from the left lane, giving 1-2 short bursts to let him/her know.

That's about it. Agreed, seems like a big list, but I honestly avoid honking as much as I can. I also don't see the point of honking at people crossing the road. Not gonna make them go any faster or slower if they're already committed to cross. Eye contact with the concerned pedestrian/s usually does it for me.

Also, my honks are generally short, quick beep-beep's. I have experienced that it catches an unwary pedestrian's attention faster if they hear an urgent bip-bip-bip-bip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
Wish had something like this though
Bingo! This is exactly what I wish to have in situations of frustration. Although a rare occurrence, I get frustrated to the point of wanting to honk ONLY if/when other idiots are honking repeatedly, w/o any rhyme or reason. Exactly the kind of situation that is depicted in this movie clip.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th November 2012 at 19:10. Reason: link removed
Harshal.Bhosale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 11:09   #142
BHPian

Today I was driving to my office and the traffic was slow for no reason. Everyone was moving bumper to bumper at 10kmph. One taxi guy behind me kept honking everytime the traffic stops. As if the traffic is going to move with each honk.

One suggestion to the team-bhp. We already have team-bhp stickers with different messages. Can we have a new team-bhp sticker, with a message like "I don't honk. Please return my favour" ?
ravinemala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 23:41   #143
Senior - BHPian

Let me first state that all my rides are petrol powered- M800 and Ertiga. I have to honk more in petrol cars as they are almost noiseless, hence I prefer to honk and warn distracted road users. In my city, you'll find many people riding in some direction, and looking in other!!!
I find that in diesel cars, I need to honk a lot lesser.
Leoshashi is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:28   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinemala View Post
Today I was driving to my office and the traffic was slow for no reason. Everyone was moving bumper to bumper at 10kmph. One taxi guy behind me kept honking everytime the traffic stops. As if the traffic is going to move with each honk.

One suggestion to the team-bhp. We already have team-bhp stickers with different messages. Can we have a new team-bhp sticker, with a message like "I don't honk. Please return my favour" ?
I totally accept with your views. No idea why people honk in bumper to bumper traffic (the person behind me thinks i ll get wings and glide over traffic in front of me). Another issue is honking in traffic when the signal is RED. God knows why they honk when signal is RED, its an automated signal with timer for god's sakes. Maybe in 90's this would help as most traffic signals were manned by police.

And yes, maybe if we get TEAM-BHP stickers with the caption mentioned by you, it will help the few who can read and understand what it means when they look at it.
kiran_cr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 11:18   #145
Senior - BHPian

Even if you are a non-honker by nature, in India, you will have to honk anyway. No go.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 11:30   #146
BHPian

There is absolutely no reason to honk! If we t-bhpians follow the rule, we might make India a better place to live. Let's all try a no-honk day. Believe me, with a little patience no-honking is possible.
chakri400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 11:50   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
There is absolutely no reason to honk! If we t-bhpians follow the rule, we might make India a better place to live. Let's all try a no-honk day. Believe me, with a little patience no-honking is possible.
Thats already available in Bangalore. BTP promotes every Monday to be a NO-HONKING DAY and promotes the same through Facebook. But it reaches only a fraction of road-users. It should be promoted through other mass media. HMV's are a major source for noise pollution and those who drive it dont use facebook.
kiran_cr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 15:26   #148
BHPian

Why do I honk?
Well, I can think of lot's of reasons! Lemme list here:
1. Traffic in Mumbai has ABSOLUTELY ZERO lane discipline (at-least on the Borivali-Malad link road where I drive daily) -- so I need to honk everytime I want to overtake someone, because otherwise there's a HUGE chance that vehicle will suddenly decide to move into my lane!
2. Autowalas driving in ALL the lanes at the SAME speed! Where do I overtake from, so I honk! They won't move if you honk once, you have to literally SIT on your horn to make them give way!! I know this ain't right but believe me, I've not been able to find a way around it, if someone has a better idea I'll be glad to use it!
3. Two-wheelers! Gawd!! You've got to keep honking if they're in front of you as you don't know which way they're gonna turn next!
nishantbhatia84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 16:19   #149
BHPian

There is absolutely NO reason to honk, even in Bombay traffic. The most irritating scenario is where people honk at folks ahead of them who are waiting at a signal
Hayek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 02:14   #150
BHPian

Why do you honk? haha..A good question to introspect and ponder.

Is it because we don't have patience to wait till someone gives us way?
Is it because the "OTHERS" don't have road sense?

Whatever is said and done, it is upto one's need to honk. I don't think any of us would honk if the road ahead is free of those who do not have road sense. As Bhpians we try not to honk unnecessarily, but there are situations when none of us could help but honk.
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote