Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 23rd March 2008, 22:12   #16
BHPian

Although with almost 4k on the ODO, i still consider myself a "learning" driver.

My honking is limited to let vehicles ahead of me (especially large trucks/buses) to know of my presence on the highways. And inside the city to wake up people incase they are daydreaming while walking on the roads especially when i am entering narrow lanes or at turnings but it is ALWAYS small honk(s). because i generally consider long honks to be rather like swearing (unless verry much needed).
matrix_ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 22:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

i honk for 2 reasons - this happens very often in the place where i live now..

1) people on the mobile phone and slowing down traffic behind
2) slowing down or stopping to ask for the way
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 22:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
i honk for 2 reasons -

2) slowing down or stopping to ask for the way
There is nothing wrong if a person slows down or stops and asks for directions. ( if he has stopped at the side of the road and not distrupting traffic, but if this is a one lane street then you really dont have a choice but to wait it out patiently)

Goddy
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 23:51   #19
BANNED

1. To see if it works.
2. I like the sound of it.
3. To make that beautiful lady turn around.
4. To move unwanted objects out of my way.
5. To open my gate (I only do this once. Else I will be honked upon for the whole night).
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 00:24   #20
BHPian

Honk for the sole purpose of letting idiots know of my presence.
Give a really small honk generally when people are walking or someone has stopped thier car in the middle of the road. Wait for almost 15 secs and then give a 2 sec long honk in order to remind the guy that he is in the middle of a public road and not his private parking lot.

Another instance for long honks is when idiots almost bang into me. Just today some idiot first cut left wildly without indicators on a two lane road and slowed down almost as if to drop someone off or park. Then when i was right next to him, he cooly proceded to cut right and accelerate (No indicator as usual) and had i not honked and turned right almost into the divider to miss him, he would have gone right into me. And what happened even after honking and almost going into the divider to save myself, i looked in the rear view mirror and after i missed him, he dint slow down, cut right as usual and then left again as i guess he wanted to stop a little ahead than the first time!!!

What i dont understand however is why people start honking wildly 2 secs before the signal goes green. And also when it does, obviously it takes time for the first two rows to start accelerating, in the meanwhile the rows behind go ballistic honking as if im the one in the middle of the road and the road is all empty in front of me.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 09:46   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
What i dont understand however is why people start honking wildly 2 secs before the signal goes green. And also when it does, obviously it takes time for the first two rows to start accelerating, in the meanwhile the rows behind go ballistic honking as if im the one in the middle of the road and the road is all empty in front of me.
This one is the biggest irritant about honking to me. In all other scenarios you can understand.. but on a signal and people in rows far behind are the ones who honk the most....
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 10:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
3. To make that beautiful lady turn around.
(I only do this once. Else I will be honked upon for the whole night).
a FFE and a gentle jab on the throttle - i have noticed - gives sure shot results..
narayan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 10:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

1. To those stupids who are slowing down the traffic while talking on mobile. (Why do literate people do like this , their license should be impounded)
2. To Autos/Rickshaws who struggle to run but still stick to high speed lanes.
3. On intersections to avoid any kind of gentle walk/drive through.
4. Whenever i am crossing a lady/old driver (I am scared of their driving style mostly)
5. Overtaking a heavy veichle.
6. Whenever i am in sports mode.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 10:46   #24
BANNED

As I have seen, people in the first row before a traffic junction, switch off their vehicles and
  • relax
  • take a break
  • sleep
  • shop
  • call
  • stall their bikes/cars
So the people in the rows behind them honk and get these people back to reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
This one is the biggest irritant about honking to me. In all other scenarios you can understand.. but on a signal and people in rows far behind are the ones who honk the most....
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 10:49   #25
BHPian

Most people honk out of sheer habit (~40%). Even if they see oncoming vehicles, they will do it. They are blissfully unaware that they are causing nuisance to others. The same people also dont mind blocking the road or driving slow in the middle of the road while talking on phone. They typically live in their own world and dont consider that there are other people than him in the road with various priorities. Sheer ignorance.

Many others want to show off that "they have arrived", and hence deserves special attention on the road compared to all other mere mortals (~25%) They dont mind using them anywhere including "no horn" areas such as schools, religious places, hospitals etc. These people honk in red lights, will never miss a chance to jump signals, dont care/know about the usage of turn signals, dipping headlights etc. Sheer arrogance.

Some people do it for fun and generally enjoy making noise. They feel very left out if they don't do it at least once a minute (25%). Seen may such people honking on completely empty roads, in the middle of the night and in basement parking areas etc. I was in this category till about 2 years back.

And quite a few (~10%) do it only to avoid a danger or during emergency. I would put myself in this category now.

I dont use it anywhere, including Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Kerala and of course when abroad. I dont use it even on market streets, highways, while overtaking or otherwise. Only on extremely exceptional circumstances have I done it and I can easily count them to be less than 5 in the last 2 years.
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 11:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Am not sure, but I think Hyderabad has the worst intensity of this problem. Some keep on honking occasionally even when the light is red, I guess, to beat their boredom. And the flood gates open the moment the signal turns amber.

Another big nuisance is the typical moron who drives with one hand constantly on the horn. He does this when he is in a hurry and keeps his horn wailing so that others make space out of frustration while he coolly speeds ahead cutting across traffic. Normally it'll be some Indicab or Tavera. And once I faced this lorry with a very shrill horn which went "cooooo" doing this. Other on the road almost stopped to give him way.

One last nuisance is people honking in the parking lot when someone ahead is reversing into the slot.
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 11:03   #27
BHPian

I wonder if theres any "style" of honking being practised in here.

I use two shot honks within a sec when I am on a turn even with my indicators ON.

Short Blasts for the Morons on the road who walk idly, esp Marathalli Road

Long Blasts if anyone jumps my Green Signal, (Happened on 100ft Road this weekend)
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 11:39   #28
Team-BHP Support

The horn of my car is jealous of the accelerator pedal, because the accelerator pedal gets pressed more. I therefore try to use the horn as frequently as possible so that he does not go into depression.
Depression means taking the horn to the psychiatrist and nowadays they charge 200rs and the medications are very expensive.
So to sum it up "I honk to save money"
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 11:39   #29
Team-BHP Support

I must have honked for more than a minute continuously today without relenting even for a second. A moron was blocking a free left turn.
I am sorry, but I do honk mercilessly who do not understand what staying in the correct lane means.
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 11:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

I rarely honk.. Honking is the last resort when I can't move around the inanimate objects on the road. Whats the point in honking and disturbing the neighbourhood, when you know its not going to get any positive results.

I flash the headlights most of the time to get people's attention, like getting the apartment gate opened by the watchman.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote