Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th August 2009, 14:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

Honking cannot be avoid but it should be used only when its really needed.

But then again, i've never come across any sort of honking that might have bothered me.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 20:07   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you Honk?
To alert cyclists/pedestrians.
To entertain myself.
To keep checking horn's changing tone. (Without warranty :P )
Gurpartap Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 21:46   #78
Senior - BHPian

I honk when I want to overtake, just a short tap to indicate I'm moving abreast,
A short tap to thank the guy who's allowed me to pass, this as I'm passing his vehicle.
I almost never touch the horn button at night.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 23:30   #79
BHPian

i mostly honk cos verbal abuse in India is an offence. it is a fact as every stupid or idiot driver or rider on the road cant be abused verbally.
patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 01:19   #80
BHPian

Honking is a Culture thing I guess.

In California, it is rude to honk. I remember sitting in a car with my hosts. My host was reversing his car from the parking slot, and he did not notice the car coming up on the road. The car honked as it went past.

For the next fifteen minutes, my host's daughter was admonishining her Dad for poor driving technique, as they had been 'honked at' ( read admonished) by the passing car!!!

That incident has left a deep incident on my mind.

Though I know it will make very little difference here in India, I make it a point to drive with minimal honking and high beams, much to the chagrin of my better half, who legitimately feels that driving without honking is a sure recipe for disaster on Hyderabad roads!
Archer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 02:27   #81

Some people really keep honking unnecessarily and those are a real pain to me. In my view, u should keep it as low as u can. Once should do so in extreme case if something in front of really doesn't care. Trust me, here in Pakistan, we see people actually start fighting for "why did u honked at me"
panicslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 11:28   #82
BHPian

I believe that some honking is expected from you in India.

Especially when you overtake two wheelers . Most of them dont have the awareness or peripheral vision ( forget using the RVMs ) to know that they are being overtaken. If you dont honk, you may be putting yourself at risk sometimes . OK, you can choose not to overtake, but is it practical in Indian roads?

Blind curves is another occasion for honking. Especially in rural roads. You can choose to avoid honking and go dead slow in curve, but the bloke coming from the other side will never know about your existence, and you can expect to see a big bus or an SUV come drifting down the wrong lane. A good honk before a blind curve is a must in my opinion.

In the hills, horns are used to indicate right of way sometimes. A sharp honk from a vehicle coming up an incline approaching a hairpin will ensure that those coming downhill will stop or slow down and stay to their side. Of course, people from the plains doing an occasional hill jaunt may be unaware of this horn code.

I always have to give a short honk while coming out of my apartment basement. ( Its a steep ramp directly into a fairly busy residential lane ). I have learnt this after giving some nasty surprises to some scooterists :-)

I usually go for very short honks , and that too only when necessary. The honks become a bit longer while overtaking in the highways though..
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 16:06   #83
Senior - BHPian

In India, one may minimiize honking but can't avoid it altogether.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 17:16   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Why do you honk?
So the pretty women look my way

cheers
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 15:01   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
So the pretty women look my way

cheers
hahaha. Now that's one honest reply
panicslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:14   #86
BHPian

Pune roads resemble varicose veins on an old mans legs!!! The traffic isn't that horrible, but it's the way people drive here. They make full use of the road tax they've paid by occupying exactly the center of the road.

I honk to way off such lousy drivers. Double Hella C-Horn
inreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:45   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inreverse View Post
Pune roads resemble varicose veins on an old mans legs!!! The traffic isn't that horrible, but it's the way people drive here. They make full use of the road tax they've paid by occupying exactly the center of the road.

I honk to way off such lousy drivers. Double Hella C-Horn
Do you drive in Karve road often? Because I was cursing a Pajero for honking relentlessly!! Just kidding..

I agree with Pune traffic though. It is not that the roads are bad or choc a block. Just the driving habits make it worse. The roundabout in Karve Putala is height of congestion. For people with such driving habits ( or no habit ), roundabouts are meant for grid lock. And every time I found people not yielding to vehicles already in the roundabouts.

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:57   #88
BHPian

Arre!! Going at a consistent speed of 90-100 kmph, still have to honk to make way amongst the bikers who drive on the right on the NH8. Also, pedestrians cross mindlessly. I honk to safeguard my future and to ascertain my peace of mind.
dr.faramroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:57   #89
Senior - BHPian

I honk because most of the people especially 2 wheeler riders don't have RVM and just criss cross. I so much hate to honk that have not upgraded my stock horn on the Bolero but honking is the necessary evil that one needs to commit to drive safe.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:54   #90
Senior - BHPian

I never honked even once since I learned to drive!(3yrs ago)

Actually, my dad rarely used the horn while driving and I quite liked the idea.

I just try and predict the direction in which the vehicles/bikes etc. might turn and remain alert. And seriously, I've never felt the need to honk.
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote